Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Aural Spring-Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2008, 07:58 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Do you ever get rid of records or delete files off your computer because you start thinking that it is music that you like the idea of in theory but not in practice?

If so, what records or mp3's did you dispose of recently and why?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 08:24 AM   #2
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Kind of depends on how you view your music collection, you can either see it as a collection of albums that you really like at that moment in time, and then sell or throw away music you didn't dig, or see it as a kind of historical document of the evolution of your music tastes, and keep all albums regardless of how much you like them. I'd probably say I do the latter with my collection, I think its easy to be too hasty in selling records- my first Sonic Youth records were Goo and Dirty, and for a good few monthes I really didn't like them, I could have got rid of them, but as it happened I returned to them later and suddenly started to 'get' them and really enjoying it. And the rest is history...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 08:38 AM   #3
sarramkrop

I don't get rid of records that I am sure I will listen to forever or I will get back to from time to time. I have a habit (maybe not so much like it used to be) of buying loads of records, therefore I've often ended up with tons of stuff that I felt was gathering dust and not much else. There's also the issue of storage.

Same with mp3 files: I don't want to end up with 50.000 audio tracks that I will never have enough time for.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 08:53 AM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I used to get rid of records and CDs when I got tired of them. Traded them in usually. Then I started finding I would miss them, even the cheesy ones. Now I keep everything, except when I replace something with a better copy (for example, a new mint pressing of an old record that I played to death in my childhood).

It is still tempting to do this with stuff I come to dislike. It's almost like purging it from my collection would make the record collection stronger or something. But for at least the past 15 years or so, I've resisted the temptation, and I find I go back to a lot of stuff I once might have given away.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth