Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Question for people who work in customer care jobs or similar
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.21.2007, 03:37 PM   #21
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It only takes about 2 or three people to make your day at at work a misery, and that's because the majority of them are nice folks to deal with. I've already forgotten about them, once you're out they don't exist.

That is so true! Most of the people I serve are pretty nice I suppose, but every day there are always that small handful of assholes who let their presence be known by causing a real stir and just make you feel like garbage. I fuckin hate those people.

I figured that after I got out of high school and into college I would deal with less and less of those people. But it wasnt true. And once I got out of college I figured, "well you know people are more adult and mature now, we've moved past the immature college phase" but that wasn't true either. Humanity sucks except for the minority of people who know how to treat another human being with true respect.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 03:41 PM   #22
sarramkrop

I wouldn't say that the majority of customers are arseholes, and I have enough experience dealing with the public to know that. I just got some individuals to deal with today who were just unhappy for whatever reason the wind told them to be unhappy with, and I happened to be the first person that they could vent that frustration to. The monster i mentioned has also got a history for being a difficult piece of shit, so from the minute I picked up the phone I knew that most things would have sounded wrong to him. It was one of those really rare occasions when I had to pass it on to someone who could loosely be deemed responsable for his unhappiness. It's just taking the abuse on the phone when you bite your tongue and just want to say :'' Hey Sir, listen to me, I couldn't possibly give a shit if you had to seat on the floor with your crippled wife, so that we both know where we stand on this matter''.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 04:35 PM   #23
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
The customer is always an asshole!!!!
CLEEERRRKKKKSSSS

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 04:43 PM   #24
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, if it was easy they would outsource your job to India.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 04:49 PM   #25
sarramkrop

Yep, on a dying bee.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 04:55 PM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

If you click on the third smiley, it will take you to another space and time. Go on, do it.

I've been clicking on it for the last 2 hours and the only space and time it took me to was "2 hours later".

it just keeps looking at me with that stupid grin that says "have a nice day".

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 05:50 PM   #27
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
sarramkrop - I can empathise. I used to work on a helpdesk at work, and some of the people I had to deal with deserved death (hello, Stevo at Some Bizzare...). Keeping any sort of patience in those situations is an artform in itself.
Old 05.21.2007, 06:18 PM   #28
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I hate how over populated my town is, lots of crazy people swarming around, makes me want to move to sweden or somewhere.
I work at this discount book store at the moment that seems to attract all sorts of maniacs and lunatics, my fravourites are the friendly speed freaks who just spew out words and sentences for ages before leaving.
Sometimes I wish I were an eccentric rich guy that owns that place so that I could kick all the customers out of the store and be as rude as I felt like to them.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 06:33 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
I've got to deal with 'hideous, unreasonable' people all day. No matter if they are co-workers or customers/patients. Its endless.

Lucky the person who only has to talk over the phone with slobs.

As you know, Omaha is telemarketing/phone sub-contracting central, Пятхъдесят Шест.

I've done my share of jobs. Dairy Queen for a day at 16, projectionist at movie theaters, dishwasher, fry cook, line cook, head cook, landscaper, remodeler/carpenter's helper, apprentice electrician, apprentice concrete finisher, telemarketing, caterer, certified nurse's assistant, bar back, bartender, customer service, consumer surveys, political phone surveys, telefundraising, insider phone sales with contracts ("relationship selling"), etc...

At every phone sales, telefundraising, or phone survey job I've ever had, I've been the top person.

Now, I still work the phone, but, thank goodness, I don't have to chase the business anymore and they call me. I just got off the phone with Coca-Cola in Mexico City actually.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 07:34 PM   #30
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
As you know, Omaha is telemarketing/phone sub-contracting central, Пятхъдесят Шест.

Yes, every third person I know works for, has worked for, or will work for a telemarketing company.

I like to think has to do with the fact we are 'well spoken'. That is, we are very easy to understand. No accent what so ever. We sound 'normal', compared to our Eastern and Southern counterparts. Also, we've generally got a mild temperament.

Which is why (as tesla mentioned) outsourcing telemarketing jobs to India is so curious.

Also, this is the third time India has been brought up on the board today. That must be some kind of record.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 07:54 PM   #31
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
if i need to do business like banking or the such, and the associate that takes my call has an indian accent ( a heavy one anyway) , i hang up and call back .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 10:41 PM   #32
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
How do you deal with difficult people? I've had a record number of arseholes to deal with, today. Most of the time it's easy to offer them something that'll get them off my back, but one in particular was such an arrogant, demented bastard ,it made me wish him dead and buried. Do you switch to nice but sarcastic mode or you simply become rude and dismissive with them?

I actually do this shit for a living pretty hardcore now. I work as a "Customer Service Supervisor" in a state Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection Division. So neither option you present is going to fly for me. I've had some pretty good training on the subject though, and I separate other peoples' issues from myself pretty well. I can only do what I'm allowed to do, and I frequently apologize for the limits, let them vent, and then point out their best alternatives. When they're pissed, I just repeat the mantra to myself, "It's Not About Me."

It isn't. Maybe they just found out they're mom has cancer. Maybe they are withdrawing from crack. Maybe they were molested as a child. Maybe we really did fuck up and lose their complaint, but then the "we" is amorphous and still impersonal. Nothing they say can hurt me, because it isn't about me. Sure it feels better when people say thank you, but 20% of the people we all meet aren't going to like us no matter what we do. So I'll collect my hourly wage letting them feel miserable if that's what they really want to do.

You want fries with that?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 08:07 AM   #33
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
How do you deal with difficult people? I've had a record number of arseholes to deal with, today. Most of the time it's easy to offer them something that'll get them off my back, but one in particular was such an arrogant, demented bastard ,it made me wish him dead and buried. Do you switch to nice but sarcastic mode or you simply become rude and dismissive with them?

this is what i do..

go to my happy place, which is a little explicit so i'll spare you them details, then always find out the customers first name and call him by that, say its "John" then in my calmest and most softest voice i tell them

"john, why the fuck dont you just fuck off and suck a hi-powered fart outa my ass you slave driving bollox"

then hang up.
Old 05.22.2007, 08:21 AM   #34
sarramkrop

I've talked to this dude in a robotic voice, a few minutes ago. He didn't even notice that I was taking the mickey out of him.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 08:49 AM   #35
sarramkrop

Some people only get arsy if i can't book them into certain areas and they happen to be patrons or people who pour money into this place, or if they can't get a particular table. Robot or deadpan voices are effective if you want to amuse yourself with someone who doesn't even remember their own telephone number.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 09:03 AM   #36
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like a table by the window.

Sorry, that was crap, wasn't it?

I have to deal with what seems like more than my fair share of idiots, and while I always try to start off nice, it doesn't take long for my replies to become more and more monosyllabic. There have been a few people I've ended up having heated arguements with, but usually I'll just agree to do whatever they want me to do, but not actually do it. Those conversations are usually finished by lots of cursing and swearing as soon as I've put the phone down.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 09:09 AM   #37
sarramkrop

Mr Butt, you have been coming here for years, so you should know that I can't guarantee that you'll get one. I will put a note on your booking, and now, if you don't mind, I'm posting on a messageboard, which is much more important than your ridiculous request. Thanks. Ciao.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 09:17 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
^ i do smth like that but just right i hang up with them. my top 5 lines are (in frequency)=
1. fuck you

2. what an asshole
3. you are stupid
4. die
5. you bore me

edit-which means that am saying fuck you, way too many times during a day. (no good)

I only say those things when I have the headset muted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Well, if it was easy they would outsource your job to India.
Quote:
Yep, on a dying bee.

yr post-it implies that outsourcing to India is a liberal media invention, so I thought a response is in order.

It's mainly IT jobs that have been outsourced. A lot of them. It's a fucked situation. Study after study confirms that the middle class is disappearing in the U.S. Also, IT customer service has gone over to India. Seems Americans want benefits for those jobs and higher wages since Information Technology is still considered some exotic skill set in many areas, or at least in the areas where labor is cheap enough for companies to do phone work.
Credit card companies as well are starting to move their cust svc to India. For years, they've cut costs by outsourcing subcontracts to companies like DialAmerica and numerous biggies in Omaha, NE, but now, many of those jobs have *poof* gone to India as well.

To put it succintly, capitalism is a great, great thing, but runaway captitalism is bad, bad news for, in the end, everyone. Personally, I think many corporations are guilty of sedition, some of treason, under the terms of Clinton and Bush, Jr.
Old 05.22.2007, 10:48 AM   #39
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
insurance companies outsource to India as well. especially United Healthcare.

they are all very nice people who are typically overqualified for the job they have, however, they rarely know what they are talking about.

they are forced to read from scripts. when the problem or issue deviates from the usual, their flow-chart fails them and they start talking nonsense.

I'm always super-nice to these poor bastards. 50 cents a day salary isn't near worth the hassle of dealing with assholes like me all day long.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 01:49 PM   #40
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Yeah, you're so right haha how they start talking shit or talking in circles if an issue is not covered in their book or if they've never encountered the problem. Like you wrote, they have a flip-book binder of laminated pages of scripts...little tabs to notate which section of the book to flip to for each task. I'm familiar, as I've done many a customer svc/phone sales job.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth