Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Burning Spear Fuzz
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.07.2012, 07:06 PM   #1
burschl
empty page

burschl has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I've wondered for a long time how Lee acheived the incredible fuzz tone that kicks in at about 1:35 on the album version of Burning Spear. On the live recording of this that's on the CD it just sounds like a windstorm and is totally amazing. I've done a bit of research trying to figure out what pedal may have produced this sound, but have heard nothing like this on Youtube pedal demos, which I guess isn't surprising. Does anyone have any insight or experience with fuzz pedals, or perhaps other methods that the early Youth used to get that tone? The use of drumsticks and the rest are well documented (and clearly important), but it would be cool if this aspect of their work could be illuminated as well.
Thanks!
burschl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
It's a power drill with a contact mic run through a wah pedal. Not joking.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2012, 03:22 AM   #3
burschl
empty page

burschl has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thanks! I'm a dummy, it says that right on the site. Guess I didn't pick up on it, cause it says it was used in the intro to the original version (is that available?). But I can definitely see that that's the same as the sound I was asking about before. Do you have any ideas about the relation of the contact mic and the drill? on the housing of the drill, maybe? Or the chuck of the drill was spinning on a contact mic? I'll have to get one and try it out.
burschl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I think the site just means "LP version" by original version (as opposed to all subsequent live versions except perhaps the one that's on the reissue).

Not sure where the contact mic would go...to be honest, I never knew a contact mic was used so for years I thought he had somehow rigged a power drill with a patchcord, haha...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2012, 02:06 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
probably just the contact mic attached to the housing of the power drill via two-sided tape.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth