Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.26.2017, 10:06 AM   #48681
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://cleanfeed-records.com/produc...-sur-la-neige/

https://youtu.be/pboY9n0jCnw
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2017, 08:24 PM   #48682
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Right on.

I got that CD... Oh boy, over 20 years ago. At the time I had Live Seeds and probably one more NC&BS record, and I wasn't aware that he had done an all-covers album (no everything-at-your-fingertips then, motherfuckers). So I "discovered" Kicking Against The Pricks at the music store — I remember it was difficult to read the back covers of the CDs because they had 'em under these locked semi-transparent plastic lids, but I could see it said "Running Scared" and I thought, Nick Cave covering THAT Roy Orbison song? SOLD!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2017, 04:31 AM   #48683
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon
30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth
Release Date: May 5, 2017

the link leads to the official stream on the SKM site. I'm a bit underwhelmed, most songs don't feature real drums, and I really don't like drum computers. Wonder if the tracks with drums are with Steve ? e.g track 6. I can't find any details anywhere...

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2017, 04:34 AM   #48684
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
bikesbikesbikesbikesbikesbikesbikesbikesbikesbikes bikesbikesbikesbikes

Old 04.28.2017, 10:50 PM   #48685
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it's been raining for days and my Wilco binge continues to feel appropriate. April is the cruelest month, after all.

as an addendum, Summerteeth hasn't left my car in weeks. I just keep going back. I fucking love that album so hard. Still.

Mermaid Avenue Vol II sounds like what it is: leftovers from the first album. It's fine. But I mean, as something that sits between two of their finest albums ever it's a bit underwhelming. My favorite tracks are "Someday Some Morning Sometime" which I'm pretty sure is just Jeff and Jay; and "I Was Born" with its Natalie Merchant vocal. So... it's not so much I am into the full on collaborations of the album as a whole. It's good as I said - but tough to live up to the expectations of every Wilco album before it.

Okay, so most Wilco albums are ones I say are "maybe my favorite," but Yanhee Hotel Foxtrot is "probably my favorite" as trite as that may sound. I vividly remember buying the album the day it was released (along w/ Tweedy's Chelsea Walls soundtrack) and listening to it on my ride home through a bright Spring ride through the country back roads. "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" totally floored me. It remains possibly my favorite Wilco song ever (still trite) and is in my opinion one of the finest guitar songs of the 2000's. That song ended and I had to start the album over before I could continue. YHF is important to so many people. No doubt. To me it serves as part of a soundtrack to that immediate post 9/11 era. This, Murray Street and Ryan Adam's Gold all remind me of this time. And I don't mean this in a political way at all. I'm just talking about that moment in time. When things seemed really weird and these albums... they just sounded so grounded to me. Special albums. At that time I frequented this bar, and all the other regulars were also frequent performers (as I was at the time) and YHF was this weird album we all loved and played over the PA before/between/after sets. I don't know. It has a magical sound to it. "Jesus, etc" and "I'm The Man Who Loves You" and "Heavy Metal Drummer" and everything. I love this album so much.

The one that Sev's been waiting for. Well guess what? A Ghost Is Born is fantastic. It's like... after YHF they didn't quite know if they should go further with that sound or go off the deep end in another direction. They managed to do both. The cliche "America's Radiohead" thing feels apt here. I don't know. I'm rambling. This album feels so rootsy and classic Wilco while also doing crazy shit like "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" or "Less Than You Think" while balancing it with shit like "Late Greats" or "Company In My Back." Love it and still don't know how to properly describe it. It's like the most Wilco album while also being the most experimental Wilco album.

Fuck me. THIS is how you make a live album. Just wow. So you take the bulk of your latest album (Ghost Is Born) and then mesh it with your full history. And I don't just mean singles. I mean deep cuts. I mean rarities. The band full embraces their discography on this album. They open with "Misunderstood" and just knock this shit out of the park. And then they proceed to just kill it with Ghost Is Born stuff and pepper it with stuff like "One By One" or the title track or "Via Chicago" and whatever else. As much as I just raved about Ghost, truthfully I might reach for this more often. I don't know. It's got this great purity to it. To go back to the Radiohead analogy it's like how I truly think of I Might Be Wrong as an album on its own rather than just live versions of Kid A/Amnesiac. Kicking Television is just really really great on its own. It's not just a live Wilco album - it is a totally great Wilco album.
Old 04.29.2017, 02:25 AM   #48686
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Sometimes I really feel like I'm living in a cave or something. I have NEVER listened to Wilco, all I know about them is that Tweedy and Cline are in it, but I wouldn't even be able to recognise their voices (or guitar sound for that matter). Soo name me an album I should start with, I guess I'll give that last one a try lateron today

Old 04.29.2017, 08:41 AM   #48687
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Sometimes I really feel like I'm living in a cave or something. I have NEVER listened to Wilco, all I know about them is that Tweedy and Cline are in it, but I wouldn't even be able to recognise their voices (or guitar sound for that matter). Soo name me an album I should start with, I guess I'll give that last one a try lateron today

Start with A Ghost is Born. You're a Sonic Youth fan, and probably a Dinosaur Jr fan, and probably a Neil Young/Crazy Horse fan, and probably a Can fan. With those tastes, you will absolutely find something to love about A Ghost is Born.

I think it's odd that NR didn't mention the tremendous way this album opens. "At Least That's What You Said" and "Hell is Chrome" are two of the most powerful and beautiful Wilco songs, and they both feature absolutely ridiculous, deconstructive guitar solos. Then there's "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" which is the noisiest and most chaotic thing in Wilco's discography. Later, "Handshake Drugs" makes you want to dance to a song about Tweedy's debilitating prescription pill addiction.

If you've really never heard them before, which I actually find kind of hard to believe, start here.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2017, 12:25 AM   #48688
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
A Ghost Is Born is certainly a good place to start for an SY fan. Same with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Plz listen up and report back here.

As for me... well, nobody told me Ryan Adams released a surprise album of Heartbreaker b-sides this week so...
Old 04.30.2017, 09:38 AM   #48689
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
A Ghost Is Born is certainly a good place to start for an SY fan. Same with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Plz listen up and report back here.

As for me... well, nobody told me Ryan Adams released a surprise album of Heartbreaker b-sides this week so...

I thought it was Prisoner b-sides or something... stuff of and relating to that album he just put out a little while ago. ?? But hey, you're the Ryan Adams guy. I am content with the fact thay a I don't know much about him at all.

Anyway, now I'm curious. I guess there's actually a Prisoner box set or something? Again, no idea, but this is where I'm getting my info: http://www.nme.com/news/music/ryan-a...-sides-2062222
Old 04.30.2017, 09:39 AM   #48690
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, NR, I have called out to you in the comic book thread and in the "clear some PMs" thread. Clear some PMs or visit the comic book thread.

Sorry everyone for the interruption. NR forced my hand.
Old 04.30.2017, 10:00 AM   #48691
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

When it's that time, it's just that motherfucking time.

I am once again listening to this funky motherfucker.

Last time I said I was listening to it I was actually just doing so on Apple Music and only made it through the first two tracks (I was working). Later I wanted to continue my listening, but discovered something terrible.

The backup digital versions of a handful of my "absolute necessity" albums which I hastily loaded onto my iPod when I discovered it had been wiped did NOT contain a backup of Sign. I panicked and went home to dig through my CDs to find Sign but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I guess I could have put Apple Music back on, but this is an album that I have always owned, and if I don't actually own it, I feel incomplete. I turned my house upside down and found no sign of Sign, so I hopped on Amazon and ordered a copy.

Yesterday it arrived, and things are once again as they should be. I once again own Sign "O" the Times, so of course I'm listening to it right now.

That's my story. Now I'm wondering why I even bothered to tell it.
Old 04.30.2017, 11:35 AM   #48692
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yes Prisoner bsides. I have no idea why I typed Heartbreaker.
Old 04.30.2017, 12:33 PM   #48693
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yes Prisoner bsides. I have no idea why I typed Heartbreaker.

Yah I don't know much 'bout no Ryan Adams except that he was married to Mandy Moore and that I once owned a Whiskeytown album called Pneumonia that I thought was pretty OK at the time. Think I bought it largely because I was actually on a Wilco kick after YHF came out, and I was mining the previous year's alt-country albums looking for similar stuff.

Hey NR, I made a post in the café that I'd love to get some feedback on. It's about an issue that's driving me a little batty. You'll know it when you see it. Say stuff to me about it!!
Old 05.01.2017, 07:22 PM   #48694
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://cleanfeed-records.com/produc...-sur-la-neige/
https://youtu.be/pboY9n0jCnw
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2017, 01:17 PM   #48695
_tunic_
invito al cielo

did anyone of you ever hear of Juana Molina? Try out one of these two KEXP sessions for instance:
solo in 2006
with band in 2014

I had never heard of her either, but saw an announcement that she'll be touring Europe in the coming months. She is from Argentina and sings in Spanish (I assume), so I've no idea what she's singing about. But I really like her voice and the overall sound

Oh, I haven't listened to Wilco yet still. Will be doing that some time soon. Not tonight, my ears are already beeping too much after a too busy day at work :-(

Old 05.02.2017, 05:11 PM   #48696
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

My favorite tracks are "Someday Some Morning Sometime" which I'm pretty sure is just Jeff and Jay; and "I Was Born" with its Natalie Merchant vocal.

Speaking of:

Natalie Merchant announces 10-disc box set including new and unreleased songs
The Natalie Merchant Collection
comprises all eight of her solo studio albums plus two additional discs

By the way, I love that Natalie Merchant and Margo Timmins (and Leah Singer!) have kept their hair grey instead of dying it to look younger. What, "silver foxes" can be men only? Fuck that. Long live real women!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.02.2017, 05:31 PM   #48697
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Old 05.02.2017, 06:52 PM   #48698
Severian
invito al cielo

For the last two days, pretty much without interruption.

Old 05.03.2017, 11:22 AM   #48699
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses

Pretty brilliant how so much can be made out of so little. I thought it started off boring, so I skipped to the two minute mark and was soon entranced. Love it.

---

Came across a Polvo rarity. The guitars sure sound like Polvo, but the vocals (by Dave?) are louder and clearer than on every other Polvo record. First time I heard it, I ended up playing it a bunch of times in a row. It's now officially in my top 5 Polvo songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUfngxxsQw

Anyone know anything about it?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2017, 02:41 PM   #48700
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hows the new Actress, haven't heard it yet. is ne GAS out yet?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1935233523852425243224332434 2435 243624372438244524852535 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth