Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Any Bad Seeds around?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2006, 01:27 AM   #1
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
I love Sonic Youth extremly, but there is only one musician/band that beats them in my sonic library. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds are it. The way mr. Cave writes is extremly bluesy/gothic and it makes me want to murder a dress till it hurts. Are there any other Cave fans out there? If so, (cliche I know) what are your favorite albums, bad seeds, etc....

Stacks of green paper in his red right hand....

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. One of them bands that just have it - they're very special.

I think their best album to date, is Abattoir Blues/the Lyre of Orpheus. Not because I am an uneducated NIck Cave fan and just got into them, hardly the case. It's just their strongest album, it's double album and both discs are amazing. Saying this, I think all Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums are amazing.
Old 07.09.2006, 02:19 AM   #3
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. One of them bands that just have it - they're very special.

I think their best album to date, is Abattoir Blues/the Lyre of Orpheus. Not because I am an uneducated NIck Cave fan and just got into them, hardly the case. It's just their strongest album, it's double album and both discs are amazing. Saying this, I think all Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums are amazing.

Amen to that. I can't even pick between Lyre and Abattoir. Really sad that Blixa left though.

Old 07.09.2006, 02:45 AM   #4
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
I love Sonic Youth extremly, but there is only one musician/band that beats them in my sonic library. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds are it. The way mr. Cave writes is extremly bluesy/gothic and it makes me want to murder a dress till it hurts. Are there any other Cave fans out there? If so, (cliche I know) what are your favorite albums, bad seeds, etc....

Stacks of green paper in his red right hand....

Those are Nick's feet in my avatar.

But yes, his sheer talent for writing (of many kinds) means that he will almost always maul the competition. There is something about it that I just really understand and believe in. And I stress the point that he is gifted in many areas, which isn't something I see often. When I first began listening to Nick Cave, I didn't expect that he would ever be among my favorites. It wasn't until I really listened to him a bit later that it hit me how fantastic he was.

My favorite Bad Seeds record might be The First Born Is Dead, or From Her To Eternity. The former captures such a distinct mood, and I always appreciate an album that can do that so well. The latter was my first Bad Seeds record, so those songs always make me feel like I'm listening to Nick for the first time. But really, his entire output is a godsend and I can't imagine what I would do without it. These days, I don't feel like listening to much else.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 02:50 AM   #5
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Greatest lyricist ever in my opinion but he sure is one moody sod.

I don't know about album but their best song has to be 'Nobodys baby now. I really can't describe how good of a song it is.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 02:55 AM   #6
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Greatest lyricist ever in my opinion but he sure is one moody sod.

"People think I'm a miserable sod but it's only because I get asked such bloody miserable questions." - Duh

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 02:57 AM   #7
luxinterior
invito al cielo

And while I'm on the subject of Nick Cave quotes, this one used to be my signature on this board:

I just, you know, pretty much am what I am, you know, I have to wake up in the morning and be what I am. If people have some sort of concept of me, I don't know, living in a fucking gothic mansion and you know, eating babies for breakfast or whatever, I don't know. I can live with that really. It's better than them thinking that I put on a kind of tracksuit every morning and jog around the block or whatever.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 02:57 AM   #8
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Those are Nick's feet in my avatar.

But yes, his sheer talent for writing (of many kinds) means that he will almost always maul the competition. There is something about it that I just really understand and believe in. And I stress the point that he is gifted in many areas, which isn't something I see often. When I first began listening to Nick Cave, I didn't expect that he would ever be among my favorites. It wasn't until I really listened to him a bit later that it hit me how fantastic he was.

My favorite Bad Seeds record might be The First Born Is Dead, or From Her To Eternity. The former captures such a distinct mood, and I always appreciate an album that can do that so well. The latter was my first Bad Seeds record, so those songs always make me feel like I'm listening to Nick for the first time. But really, his entire output is a godsend and I can't imagine what I would do without it. These days, I don't feel like listening to much else.

Those two albums are wonderful. My favorite at the time would have to be Your Funeral....My Trail.

Old 07.09.2006, 03:00 AM   #9
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
And while I'm on the subject of Nick Cave quotes, this one used to be my signature on this board:

I just, you know, pretty much am what I am, you know, I have to wake up in the morning and be what I am. If people have some sort of concept of me, I don't know, living in a fucking gothic mansion and you know, eating babies for breakfast or whatever, I don't know. I can live with that really. It's better than them thinking that I put on a kind of tracksuit every morning and jog around the block or whatever.

That's a great quote. I love how Mr. Cave hates genres and classifications. He is one of a fucking kind.

Old 07.09.2006, 03:06 AM   #10
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Was that from a Q magazine interview?

Quote:

"People think I'm a miserable sod but it's only because I get asked such bloody miserable questions." - Duh

Hehe

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 03:09 AM   #11
luxinterior
invito al cielo

I probably sound like I'm ignoring his more recent albums, specifically the double album, so I just have to say that that one in particular came as a shock to me. And it's funny because the themes it dealt with were not far removed from what he tends to touch upon, but both discs--even the slower ballads--felt so injected with life, and had this undercurrent of joy, as if Nick and the band felt they were doing their best work yet. I love albums that give me that feeling, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 03:11 AM   #12
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Was that from a Q magazine interview?

I found it when I was at this address:
http://www.cucamonga.be/interviews/NickCave0499.htm

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 03:14 AM   #13
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
I probably sound like I'm ignoring his more recent albums, specifically the double album, so I just have to say that that one in particular came as a shock to me. And it's funny because the themes it dealt with were not far removed from what he tends to touch upon, but both discs--even the slower ballads--felt so injected with life, and had this undercurrent of joy, as if Nick and the band felt they were doing their best work yet. I love albums that give me that feeling, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere.

I felt the same way when listening to the double album. From the first drum roll on Get Ready For Love to the last melancholy chord on O Children...100%.

Old 07.09.2006, 03:22 AM   #14
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
I felt the same way when listening to the double album. From the first drum roll on Get Ready For Love to the last melancholy chord on O Children...100%.

I really would give my "first born" to see the Bad Seeds in concert.

Some bands' live shows--whether witnessed in person or on video--bore me to tears no matter how much I like their music. But I always enjoy watching Nick and the gang perform. Maybe it's for the best that I haven't seen them live. I would probably do something terribly embarrassing, like spontaneously combust.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 03:30 AM   #15
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
I really would give my "first born" to see the Bad Seeds in concert.

Some bands' live shows--whether witnessed in person or on video--bore me to tears no matter how much I like their music. But I always enjoy watching Nick and the gang perform. Maybe it's for the best that I haven't seen them live. I would probably do something terribly embarrassing, like spontaneously combust.

Haha.........I know what you mean. Do you own the Road To God Knows Where/Live At the Paradiso by any chance. I cant get over how good that dvd set is.

Old 07.09.2006, 03:46 AM   #16
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Haha.........I know what you mean. Do you own the Road To God Knows Where/Live At the Paradiso by any chance. I cant get over how good that dvd set is.

Yes, I do own that. Just watched the Paradiso disc again the other night, actually, hahaha. I love when they end with New Morning, and what Nick says right before the song starts is just hilarious. He has a killer sense of humor, it's just a shame that not many people realize that.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 03:59 AM   #17
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Yes, I do own that. Just watched the Paradiso disc again the other night, actually, hahaha. I love when they end with New Morning, and what Nick says right before the song starts is just hilarious. He has a killer sense of humor, it's just a shame that not many people realize that.

Yeah, New Morning is amazing. All of those ciggs being thrown up on stage.............Mick retrieving them and putting them behind his ear like a little boy to a lollipop.......It's hilarious. Three phases of Nick Cave to me (I know there's much more to him but just from what I know so far) 1. Intimidating Shell-used during interviews and lame reporters. 2. Sarcasm- used on friendlier reporters and fans. 3. Humour- used amongst the Bad Seeds and on stage.

Old 07.09.2006, 04:32 AM   #18
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, New Morning is amazing. All of those ciggs being thrown up on stage.............Mick retrieving them and putting them behind his ear like a little boy to a lollipop.......It's hilarious. Three phases of Nick Cave to me (I know there's much more to him but just from what I know so far) 1. Intimidating Shell-used during interviews and lame reporters. 2. Sarcasm- used on friendlier reporters and fans. 3. Humour- used amongst the Bad Seeds and on stage.

Haha, no wonder I like the guy so much. One of my friends once called me the most intimidating, disagreeable person she had ever met until she got to know me a little better. Whatever that means.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.09.2006, 11:24 AM   #19
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I have Murder Ballads. A fun album to listen to, just not very often. I've never explored any of their other works, though.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 11:57 AM   #20
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
From Her To Eternity is my favorite, but I love most of Nick's stuff in all of his bands.

I think it's pretty amazing to follow what he has done and how he has evolved. I also think it's pretty amazing that he can make music that so many different people of such a large age range can enjoy equally.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth