Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 2009 Set Lists -- POST HERE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2009, 08:24 AM   #141
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
I understand jennthebenn's popularity here but I MUST note that I preceded her prediction by over a week !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Originally Posted by jennthebenn on July 8th.
They omit the "yeah yeah"s and "whoa whoa"s live...which is kinda my favorite part of the song. But they played it with tremendous CRUNCH, and Thurston gave a solid delivery. It also helped that my area of the
crowd was hopping around and headbanging like SY had just brought
back "Stereo Sanctity".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
This was a great post to begin with, but I mean, woah, now what?? It could wind up being profoundly coincidental as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald
Orignally Posted by reginald on June 29th.
I'm diggin' the near completeness of The Eternal being played live !!
That's what I'm looking forward to the most. It does seem that the other songs are from regular 'oldies' stack that they pull from.
I'm always hoping for a rare to very rare track (not played the past decade) to come out of the bag to complement The Eternal.
Something grindy and trippy like Youth Against Facism, Female Mechanic, Self Obsessed and Sexy, Tunic, Brave Men Run, Stereo Sanctity.........

Hardy Har Har !!!! *biggrin*

Last edited by reginald : 07.13.2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: color change
reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2009, 09:26 AM   #142
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Bwahaha. I hear you...but you listed more than one song. :P

You know, "Massage the History" live is really so evocative and rich, truly
a transporting experience the likes of which I have not enjoyed at an
SY show since I last saw "Hoarfrost."

*waits to see if it works*
Old 07.13.2009, 09:31 AM   #143
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Bwahaha. I hear you...but you listed more than one song. :P

You know, "Massage the History" live is really so evocative and rich, truly
a transporting experience the likes of which I have not enjoyed at an
SY show since I last saw "Hoarfrost."

*waits to see if it works*

Yeah, you're right. It makes it easier to make a wishlist !

Hoarfrost...wow, that would really be pulling something out of the bag !

I was extremely pleased with the Nashville set. Besides 11/12th's of The Eternal, they played 4 tunes I hadn't heard live before.

DV'69
PCH
Shadow of a Doubt
White Kross

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2009, 12:33 PM   #144
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Stereo Sanctity! I was starting think I'd never have a chance to hear that. I think Daydream is a great album, but Sister has always been my favorite, so the more songs from the better. I really hope they play SS, PCH and Expressway for Oakland. This is shaping up to be a pretty awesome tour.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2009, 01:11 PM   #145
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Chris, what shows out West are you seeing?

spokane, seattle, vancouver.

it was pointed out to me that the last time stereo sanctity was played was in birmingham, UK in july 1993, and now it's back in birmingham, AL in july 2009!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2009, 01:13 PM   #146
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

it was pointed out to me that the last time stereo sanctity was played was in birmingham, UK in july 1993, and now it's back in birmingham, AL in july 2009!

Making a spooky thread even spookier....

Hopefully me and Naomi will see you at the Block Party!
Old 07.13.2009, 01:51 PM   #147
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i'm sure you will, unless you insist on being up front! i'm lucky to still be alive after being front row for mudhoney at the block party years ago.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07.13.2009, 02:51 PM   #148
Chris Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

oops. i just bought a flight to portland. damn these magnetic set lists!
Old 07.13.2009, 04:11 PM   #149
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
The Nashville setlist:

and the Birmingham setlist:

-

------

I'll post some photos from both shows later.
Old 07.13.2009, 04:55 PM   #150
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Oh wow, stereo is totally legit. They even played it without instruments
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2009, 06:15 PM   #151
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Looking at the Tour statistics on the c.c., here are some shocking and exciting things about this birmingham setlist:

According to the setlists the concert chronology has,

The Sprawl and Stereo Sanctity were played in the same concert only once, that seems to have been July 14th, 1989.

Cross the Breeze and Stereo Sanctity seem to have been played in the same concert three times, one being July 14th, '89, the next two being March 8th and 9th in 1990 ... and then that's it!

It seems like Hey Joni and Stereo Sanctity have never been played in the same concert until yesterday. (Stereo sanctity was not catalogued as being played in 1988. Then it was only played at the July 14th show in 1989 where Hey Joni was not played... absurd but marvelous!)
Old 07.13.2009, 08:47 PM   #152
pop punk will eat itself
bad moon rising

pop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's assespop punk will eat itself kicks all y'all's asses
The birmingham setlist does have The Sprawl listed, but they didn't play it -- Don't ask me why.
Old 07.14.2009, 01:10 PM   #153
mwa4242
empty page

mwa4242 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Trying to piece together a setlist for Atlanta. I found a partial list posted and I've added a few songs from my memory. Anyone have corrections?

No Way
Sacred Trickster
The Sprawl
Antenna
Leaky Lifeboat
Calming the Snake
Walkin Blue
Anti-Orgasm
???
What We Know
Malibu Gas Station
Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn
Massage the History
White Cross

Encore:
Poison Arrow
???

Second Encore:
???
DV69
mwa4242 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 04:19 PM   #154
Scooter and Jinx
empty page

Scooter and Jinx has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
They opened with 'Tom Violence' last night. They also played 'Stereo Sanctity' and 'Shadow of a Doubt'. I believe 'Shadow of a Doubt' was right before 'Death Valley 69'. The show was great (as always), but was ultimately limited by the strength (or lack thereof) of "The Eternal".

Songs I previously believed to be weak and confirmed last night:
1. 'Poison Arrow' - encoring with this tune was a MAJOR bummer
2. 'Leaky Lifeboat' - grates on me - sorry

Songs that I now appreciate more:
1. 'Massage the History' - Can you say telekinesis?!?!
2. 'What We Know' - I thought they rocked this tune HARD

ADVICE TO SONIC YOUTH: 'Poison Arrow' and 'Leaky Lifeboat' aren't going to sell any records. Pull them out of the set-list rotation and replace them with two older nuggets. Your fans will be happier, trust me...

All and all it was ANOTHER great show!
Scooter and Jinx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 04:24 PM   #155
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

Don't speak for every fan, S & J. I love both those songs on record and
live. Steve's a fuckin' beast during "Poison Arrow." Well, he is for every
song but that one especially.
Old 07.14.2009, 04:36 PM   #156
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
They didn't play Thunderclap..
Old 07.14.2009, 08:32 PM   #157
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Holy fucking shit, Stereo Sanctity??? They better play it in Dallas. Jesus.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 08:54 PM   #158
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
i know that us in Toronto got "she is not alone" (which totally kicked ass btw) but i am slightly upset that we missed out on Cross the breeze...they have never (since i've been old enough to see them) played it in Toronto!!! i have yet to see it live and it is my favourite sonic song!
shadow of a doubt would be amazing too i imagine
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2009, 10:09 PM   #159
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
They're really mixing it up on this tour.Almost Dead-like with all the set variations.Very cool.
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 12:56 AM   #160
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Nope I couldn't disagree more. Poison Arrow is one of the BEST songs on The Eternal. And I'm happiest when they're doing the new stuff.

I've been attending Sonic Youth shows since 1986 and I've heard the EVOL and Sister stuff so much now that I'll never be clamoring for anything specific from that period. I'd much rather hear stuff from the recent past that hasn't been beaten into the ground for 20+ years.

This is exactly why they mix it up as best they can. There are old timers like myself that prefer newer material and some that just joined in three albums ago that salivate for older material. It's all good.

But Poison Arrow CANNOT disappear. It's so grungy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter and Jinx
They opened with 'Tom Violence' last night. They also played 'Stereo Sanctity' and 'Shadow of a Doubt'. I believe 'Shadow of a Doubt' was right before 'Death Valley 69'. The show was great (as always), but was ultimately limited by the strength (or lack thereof) of "The Eternal".

Songs I previously believed to be weak and confirmed last night:
1. 'Poison Arrow' - encoring with this tune was a MAJOR bummer
2. 'Leaky Lifeboat' - grates on me - sorry

Songs that I now appreciate more:
1. 'Massage the History' - Can you say telekinesis?!?!
2. 'What We Know' - I thought they rocked this tune HARD

ADVICE TO SONIC YOUTH: 'Poison Arrow' and 'Leaky Lifeboat' aren't going to sell any records. Pull them out of the set-list rotation and replace them with two older nuggets. Your fans will be happier, trust me...

All and all it was ANOTHER great show!
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth