Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.01.2017, 09:46 PM   #48561
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Not exactly their finest hour. Maybe the free badge was cool, though...

Solid song and I enjoy it to this day.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 03:40 PM   #48562
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm trying to get away from making huge ass playlists of music, and getting back to making self-contained sequenced mixtape style playlists. Stuff with a theme and a flow that clocks in at under an hour.

So I was thinking of those old like Ultra Chilled or Late Night Tales compilations that I was listening to a lot in the early 2000's and tried to make something that kind of fit that mold.

ULTRA CHILLED 17

1. Grandaddy - Nonphenomenal Lineage
2. Aphex Twin - Xtal
3. Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater (Kevin Shields rmx)
4. u-Ziq - Octelcogopod
5. M83 - Skin Of The Night
6. Badly Drawn Boy - My Friend Cubilas
7. Handsome Boy Modeling Shool - I've Been Thinking (f. Cat Power)
8. Moby - Memory Gospel
9. Squarepusher - Love Will Tear Us Apart
10. Caribou - Brandon
11. Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
12. Tortoise - Glass Museum
Old 03.07.2017, 04:07 PM   #48563
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
That's a great one. I did some hard time with that album years back. A favorite of 19/20 year old me.

WHEN - Death In The Blue Lake is one of the very first odd music LP's I ever purchased on vinyl.
I got this along with David Hykes & The Harmonic Choir - Harmonic Meetings, on the same day......odd the crap I can remember almost 30 years later.

There are a couple of tracks on the WHEN LP that sound like Peter Gabriel on vocals. Like you, Savage, I too spent a lot of time with album in my younger days......so much so, I got the, 'Black, White & Grey,' CD that contained the, Death In The Blue Lake title track so I wouldn't have to keep playing the vinyl : )

I purchased WHEN - The Black Death, on vinyl at the end of this past summer, but I have yet to open and give it a listen.

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 04:37 PM   #48564
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm trying to get away from making huge ass playlists of music, and getting back to making self-contained sequenced mixtape style playlists. Stuff with a theme and a flow that clocks in at under an hour.

So I was thinking of those old like Ultra Chilled or Late Night Tales compilations that I was listening to a lot in the early 2000's and tried to make something that kind of fit that mold.

ULTRA CHILLED 17

1. Grandaddy - Nonphenomenal Lineage
2. Aphex Twin - Xtal
3. Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater (Kevin Shields rmx)
4. u-Ziq - Octelcogopod
5. M83 - Skin Of The Night
6. Badly Drawn Boy - My Friend Cubilas
7. Handsome Boy Modeling Shool - I've Been Thinking (f. Cat Power)
8. Moby - Memory Gospel
9. Squarepusher - Love Will Tear Us Apart
10. Caribou - Brandon
11. Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
12. Tortoise - Glass Museum

That's a pretty good mix. No love for Moby, but other than that, solid.

I also don't like Badly Drawn Boy, but Hour of the Bewilderbeast had some great tracks. I actually think "Cause A Rockslide" is quite a perfect little tune, in a simultaneously chaotic and lovely, noisy and elegant. That's one of those instances where a so-so artist just made a TREMENDOUS fucking song, way better than the some of his career, and the song just went entirely unnoticed and wasn't even one of his relative hits.

You know what I'm taking about? You like "Cause a Rockslide?" If you ask me, that song is one of the best of its decade. It could easily have been a mid-'90s Sonic Youth track, or a late-'90s Modest Mouse track, or an early 2000s Blur track... y'know? It's pretty fucking unreal in its amazingness compared to the rest of his stuff.

Aphex Twin, Caribou, Squarepusher, YLT, etc. all aces. But where's Boards of Canada? Must had Boards for chillz.
Old 03.07.2017, 04:42 PM   #48565
Severian
invito al cielo

Now I'm listening to "Cause a Rockslide" because of noisereductions.

Who doesn't love this song? Seriously, what's not to love?

That some sugary sweet jangle right there.
Old 03.07.2017, 04:53 PM   #48566
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah I figured I'd get called for Moby. But whatever. I was a big fan of much of his 90's output. Shrug.

Badly Drawn Boy... Bewilderbeast was so so good. And then... I don't know. How Did I Get Here (Ep 1, 2, 3 + It Came From The Ground) was pretty nice. But subsequent albums got worse and worse. There's some good songs on About A Boy, Fed The Fish, etc but for the most part he was one of those that came with this immensely strong and unique and fun debut albums and then just kind of spent the rest of his career not delivering on any of that promise.

Good call on Boards Of Canada. Volume 2 of this mix begs for "ROYGBIV". Like I said, I'm trying to make these mixes kind of organically and not overloading. But yeah. You right. Next one.
Old 03.07.2017, 04:55 PM   #48567
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So I was thinking of those old like Ultra Chilled or Late Night Tales compilations [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But where's Boards of Canada? Must had Boards for chillz.

What the fuck does "chill" mean in this context? Boards Of Canada's music is quite unsettling, for the most part...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 05:06 PM   #48568
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Ultra Chilled was literally the name of a series of compilations. They were generally mish-mashes of mellow stuff. After party music I guess. I don't know. I liked them though. Would be random electronic, folk, jazz... lots of remixes.
Old 03.07.2017, 06:48 PM   #48569
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
What the fuck does "chill" mean in this context? Boards Of Canada's music is quite unsettling, for the most part...

Ok, I was originally just going to say you're stupid and dumb ( ) but I think I get where you're coming from.

I think there's always been bit of ominousness to Boards' music, but there's also plenty of serenity in it as well. There are tracks like "The Color of Fire" (unsettling), but they're often rubbing right up against airier, lighter tracks. Like on Music Has the Right to Children, the next track is "Telephasic Workshop," which I find very tranquil.

But you're right... in fact, one of the reasons Tomorrow's Harvest didn't completely blow away everything for me in 2013 (aside from the fact that Yeezus and Amygdala came out that year) is that the record was extremely dour, and more than a little depressing. Not exactly a triumphant return.

But The Campfire Headphase is filled with tracks that are so peaceful my mother digs them. Swear to god. She loves that shit.

I think there's an ominousness/serenity dichotomy in a few of the artists NR mentioned, and many arrists in the "IDM" genre. Aphex Twin for instance. "Xtal" is fucking heavenly, but a lot of Aphex Twin's shit is closer to.. y'know.. the other place. Marilyn Manson didn't have shit on "Come to Daddy," not even for a second when he was at his most novel and "scary." Ventolin Remixes beat even Squarepusher's harsh Vic Acid EP when it comes to electro-mindrape. And Druqks is like the ultimate clash between beauty and chaos. But with RDJ, as with Boards, I think most of the unsettling qualities kind of go away after enough listens. That stuff sounds like Old Fauthful to me. Reassuring and lovely.

But... I did just read this on Apple Music's pull quote for MHTRTC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some asshole
It's a spellbinding balancing act between child-like wonder and grown-up dread.

So. There ya go.
Old 03.10.2017, 11:55 PM   #48570
noisereductions
invito al cielo

been listening to random Flaming Lips all night. I've always been upset that "Borderline" never landed on one of their Fwends albums. I think it's one of their best covers ever.
Old 03.11.2017, 10:18 AM   #48571
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
been listening to random Flaming Lips all night. I've always been upset that "Borderline" never landed on one of their Fwends albums. I think it's one of their best covers ever.

Oh my god that "Borderine" cover is great!!!

I'm fucking sick of covers, and I'm sick of the Flaming Lips doing covers... but when they're not filling entire fucking albums with the things, abd they pick their tunes with more care, they really are good at it. And "Borderline" is probably the best one they've done.

It does what covers should do: it pays tribute while also taking the song into thrilling new territory. The best covers tend to pull from less "cool" sources (not that '80s Madonna wasn't cool), and bend, meld and reinterpret the song until it becomes a new animal. Some songs are just made to be covered in bizarre and freaked out way (I'm still waiting for some kickass noise-pop group to cover "Bette Davis Eyes"), and "Bordeline" is one of those songs. The Lips made it better than the original.

It would have fit nicely on Thw Terror actually, but I don't think any "Fwends" were involved, so I'm not sure it would have made sense on Heady Fwends — certainly not on With a Little Help From my Fwends or their Dark Side of the Moon or Stone Roses albums.

Still, I agree.

"What's so Funny About Peace, Love and Understandig" was a good early cover. As was "What a Wonderful World."
Old 03.11.2017, 10:20 AM   #48572
Severian
invito al cielo

I haven't gone on a Lips binge in a long, long time. Whenever I do, I end up kind of overdoing it. But this is probably the longest I've gone without listening to In a Priest Driven Ambulance. I have to admit I've lost a certain amount of interest in them in recent years. Maybe it's time for a binge.
Old 03.11.2017, 10:21 AM   #48573
Severian
invito al cielo

And this is what I'm listening to ...

This Heat - Deceit reissue.
Old 03.13.2017, 02:14 PM   #48574
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
^ I've been trying to remember this band's name for so long!

now playing:

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2017, 02:20 PM   #48575
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
That opening "Paper Hats" riff is an all time fav. Could loop that and listen for hours.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2017, 10:16 AM   #48576
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
That opening "Paper Hats" riff is an all time fav. Could loop that and listen for hours.

Oh I absolutely agree. The main riff is (slinky, spider sounding shit under those pre-Liars vocals) is also a favorite of mine.

What a horrendously underrated band. I know they have flag-wavers in the critics scene, but I've met very few "IRL" people who know the glories of This Heat.
Old 03.20.2017, 09:54 AM   #48577
Severian
invito al cielo

There's a fuckin' new Royal Trux album dropping June 16, so I'm getting myself in the mood. It's been a few minutes since I last played this album, but my god it certainly sounds like a revelation, even after all this time.

Royal Trux post-noise squall had more in common with Flaming Lips circus '89-'93 than I remember.
Old 03.23.2017, 06:37 PM   #48578
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Angel Olsen - Live on KEXP

So far sounds (a lot) better than on the album to be honest.
Old 03.23.2017, 08:36 PM   #48579
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Angel Olsen - Live on KEXP

So far sounds (a lot) better than on the album to be honest.

Nice. Good old KEXP.
Old 03.24.2017, 01:21 PM   #48580
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
TEAM DRESCH
HEAVENS TO BETSY

Getting my dyke on, I guess.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1929232923792419242624272428 2429 243024312432243924792529 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth