Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY on VH2 NOW!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
edit: It was on VH2 at 23:00, 16/05/06. It's over, but see playlist further down the thread.

If you're in the UK, be advised that Sonic Youth are presenting a show for an hour on VH2. It started 15 minutes ago, but I've only just come across it.

It's their own vids and others, been on for twenty mins so far.

Check it out.

(ntl channel 172)

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 05:23 PM   #2
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Damn you lucky bastard! I'm wishing I was in the U.K. right now, just so I could watch some SYTV.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 05:40 PM   #3
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i dont have Sky Digital so therfore i dont have fuckin MTV2, i've got stupid bummy "chorus"..... jesus, this sucks. Hip, let us know the craic with it. give us the lowdown when you can
Old 05.16.2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Bah, I missed it. I never check the music channels on SKY though, since it's usually '100 Best Indie Anthems EVER with Pete Doherty' or some shit.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:04 PM   #5
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
hopefully it'll be archived out here
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
I hope that as well, though I am living in Holland I am now at a friend's place who doesn't have tv...

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Well, being a cable channel, they probably only have about 15 shows to put on, so I'm sure we'll have a repeat soon (sorry, 'another chance to see', in modern parlance).

It was Thurston and Kim, picking some tracks from the VH2 playlist (ie there were no noise bands). I missed the start, but apart from that they picked:

Be Your Own Pet - Damn Damn Leash
Sonic Youth - Addicted To Love
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full
The Fall - Hit THe North
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
Pavement - Cut Your Hair
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hong Kong Garden
The Donnas - Who Invited You
The Who - My GEnereation

Great first half for me, that list.

It was called 'Sonic Youth in Control' or 'In Control: Sonic Youth' or something.

Thurston did most of the chatter. About The Fall, he said that to Americans they are full of 'mysterious wordplay', and that the songs always seem to 'make sense on one level, but you're never sure it was the level that the songwriters intended'.

Old 05.16.2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
Cool, The Who's my generation!!

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:14 PM   #9
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
fuck, i log in and see this post now only... 13 minutes too late...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:17 PM   #10
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Further to the above...

Thurston was also taking about a connection he had with Be Your Own Pet, but I'd just flicked over and found it - I was too excited (and too busy notifying the forum) to pay much attention.

Old 05.16.2006, 06:23 PM   #11
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Thurston was also taking about a connection he had with Be Your Own Pet, but I'd just flicked over and found it - I was too excited (and too busy notifying the forum) to pay much attention.

Yeah I read in a magazine there on his label now (I think). Anyway the article said that Thurston wanted them on the label for a long time. I think the magazine was Filter or something with a similar name....

Thats cool that they played Just Like Honey....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:45 PM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I did a search for Be Your Own Pet on that myspace page to check out their music since they are opening up for SY on some of the dates this tour. They're on there.
Old 05.16.2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

They're OK, I've heard a few of their songs now. Young, fast and loud I think is the best descriptio.

Kim was talking about making the 'Addicted to Love' video for $20.

They said they liked JAMC because they played short sets.

Old 05.16.2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I wasn't that psyched about Be Your Own Pet opening the first time I heard them, but I gave it another listen and they're alright I guess. Ecstatic Peace is on myspace now and you can listen to all the rock bands they're working with aside from this one.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 10:22 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I'm glad to be seeing a "punk band" with some energy other than some band up there just making noise.....kind of boring. I like an opener with some energy that doesn't make me want to go to sleep.
Old 05.17.2006, 04:32 PM   #16
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i've read thurston wanted to produced be your own pet.
i saw b yr. own pet vid. from ecstatic peace....exactly, pretty young, alive and fast. she's hot as well.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 02:24 AM   #17
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
not to drag this thread to a "be your own pet hate/love thread",but i just heard a song on an italian channel (don't know the title) and they reminded me old-style-yeah-yeah-yeahs' songwriting/singing.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 02:34 AM   #18
xpressway2yrskull
little trouble girl

xpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's asses
I've been heavily into byoP for quite a while so I hope if a UK tour is happening anytime this year we get them supporting too. In my opinion the album is quite good (a little repetitive in places - though that never stopped the ramones etc. being awesome). If there's enough demand for it I could make a zip file and YSI all of their singles and b-sides.

Did anyone record gonzo with SY on MTV2? It's always the way that the only week anything good seems to be on the music channels coincides with our sky dish falling of the roof.
xpressway2yrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 03:23 AM   #19
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
not to drag this thread to a "be your own pet hate/love thread",but i just heard a song on an italian channel (don't know the title) and they reminded me old-style-yeah-yeah-yeahs' songwriting/singing.
That was the first thought that went through my head when I heard them....YYY. It's crazy that they are pretty much the same age as me and touring with SY.......fuck
Old 05.18.2006, 03:30 AM   #20
xpressway2yrskull
little trouble girl

xpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's asses

I think they're 18.... I'm jealous.
xpressway2yrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth