Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2017, 10:43 PM   #48981
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
(White Album was my first, btw),

I've been trying to think of mine after you typed this and I'm 99% sure it was Mellon Collie. I did buy The White Album in high school, but later as my mom owned a copy and I'd just borrow all her Beatles albums usually. I don't think I can come up with one I'd have bought before Mellon Collie. Hmm.
Old 08.05.2017, 07:44 PM   #48982
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Weezer
Maladroit
2002, I wasn't all that into Maladroit when it dropped. Which is kind of surprising in hindsight. I loved The Green Album. And I was following the making of Maladroit - a totally fascinating period where Weezer was demoing new tracks and sharing them on their website and getting real-time fan feedback. Strangely, I wasn't a member of their forum but a couple of my friends were and they'd share all these new songs with me. I'm still bummed that "Sandwiches Time" was never released. Anyway, the resulting album initially turned me off. Remember how Rivers said his favorite rock group was Kiss? Well it shows a bit here. This is Weezer attempting to get heavier and riffier and I didn't like it back then. But five years after it was released I had this total epiphany after giving it another shot. And in 2007, I started to love Maladroit. This is a strange album. It's still got those Weezer pop hooks under there, but they're buried under some pretty ugly stuff. This is Scott Shriner's first album as bass player and I don't know if he had a lot of influence or what, but for an album coming so hot off the heals of the Green Album, it's hardly just a sequel. Opener "American Gigalo" is harsh and weird with those off kilter jugging guitars. It actually reminds me a bit of the tone of In Utero or something. Even much of the pop like "Dope Nose" or "Slob" or "Fall Together" is much harsher sounding than the majority of the band's output. And maybe that's why I like this album so damn much. It has some serious personality. Even if I think the Green Album sounds more prototypical Weezer, this one is far more unique. There are some flashes of the Weezer of old however. "Burndt Jamb" is so friggin' upbeat and happy, and "Keep Fishin'" could have easily fit on the Green Album with that massive pop hook. "Death And Destruction" is the sore thumb for me. It's just too damn mellow to feel comfortable here. I don't hate it but it feels like it belongs on a different album. Ultimately I don't think that Maladroit is an album that most folks even really think about much, but given my adoration of Weezer I guess it's no surprise that one of their more eccentric albums would speak so much to me.

Hey. I have a trivial but genuine note for you and it is this:

You should start using paragraphs. Break up your writing with appropriate markers denoting the start and end point of your thoughts.
I say this becaus I really enjoy reading your little write-ups, even when I don't like the band or the album in question — they provide a nice little window into an alternative (and usually far more forgiving and optimistic) perspective than my own.
However, when I scroll through the thread and I see just one huge lump of text, my impulse as a reader is to avoid it. In fact, I sometimes find myself reading the first and last sentences and then starting to reply or moving on before even realizing it, and having to go back.
I don't want to do you like that bro, so maybe you could humor me here, and put some miles on the old "return" key for your buddy Severian.

Since the format of this forum doesn't lend itself to standard paragraphs (no quick indentations), you might even consider leaving a full line between some of the bigger blocks. I know, it's picky, but I like your posts, and it will make them much easier on the ol' eyeballs.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2017, 07:48 AM   #48983
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey. I have a trivial but genuine note for you and it is this:

You should start using paragraphs. Break up your writing with appropriate markers denoting the start and end point of your thoughts.
I say this becaus I really enjoy reading your little write-ups, even when I don't like the band or the album in question — they provide a nice little window into an alternative (and usually far more forgiving and optimistic) perspective than my own.
However, when I scroll through the thread and I see just one huge lump of text, my impulse as a reader is to avoid it. In fact, I sometimes find myself reading the first and last sentences and then starting to reply or moving on before even realizing it, and having to go back.
I don't want to do you like that bro, so maybe you could humor me here, and put some miles on the old "return" key for your buddy Severian.

Since the format of this forum doesn't lend itself to standard paragraphs (no quick indentations), you might even consider leaving a full line between some of the bigger blocks. I know, it's picky, but I like your posts, and it will make them much easier on the ol' eyeballs.

tl;dr
Old 08.07.2017, 09:40 AM   #48984
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
tl;dr

Hey fuck you, buddy.
Old 08.07.2017, 10:12 AM   #48985
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haha.

Truthfully, the one-big-paragraph thing is totally intentional for these little write-ups. I have my own weird little OCD reasons.

I do think that the blocks of text look much bigger than the are to you because you're often reading them on your phone, though. Maybe.
Old 08.07.2017, 11:11 AM   #48986
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
haha.

Truthfully, the one-big-paragraph thing is totally intentional for these little write-ups. I have my own weird little OCD reasons.

I do think that the blocks of text look much bigger than the are to you because you're often reading them on your phone, though. Maybe.

True. I've maybe logged into this website twice in the past two years on a laptop or desktop or anything other than an iPhone or iPad.

Still... even if you don't use full line breaks between graphs, throw me a bone and hit "enter/return" every once in a while!!!
Old 08.07.2017, 11:58 AM   #48987
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Radiohead
Kid A
2000, I spent the three years between Ok Computer and its follow-up obsessing over Radiohead's every move. I had so many bootlegs from that period that even I thought I could imagine what their next record would sound like. But I was wrong. From the moment I heard the soothing opening synth notes of "Everything In Its Right Place," I knew that Radiohead had destroyed their own music in order to create it anew. It was astounding in 2000 to hear a new Radiohead album... one that barely had any guitars. While familiar bootleg tune "How To Disappear" survived only mostly unscathed, the acoustic ballad "Motion Picture Soundtrack" was almost unrecognizable. The title track had vocals - I just couldn't understand them. "Treefingers" was three and a half minutes of ambience. "Idioteque" is like almost really club music. In hindsight none of this was all that weird: their last album opened with a tribute to DJ Shadow, while its b-sides collaborated with Zero 7 and a remix by Fila Brazillia. This new sound was also grounded a bit by the urgent acoustic guitars strums of "Optimistic" and the absolutely rocking bassline of "National Anthem." Kid A was a brave record, but one that makes sense in hindsight. There's no way the band could have made a proper follow-up to OK Computer. So why not just reinvent the band?
Old 08.07.2017, 06:11 PM   #48988
Severian
invito al cielo

tl;dr fuck you
Old 08.07.2017, 07:30 PM   #48989
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Lol
Old 08.08.2017, 09:55 AM   #48990
Severian
invito al cielo

Seriously didn't read.
Old 08.08.2017, 10:21 AM   #48991
noisereductions
invito al cielo

well, i would've been interested in your feedback, and find it kind of odd that some arbitrary spacing would make you read it. Again - must be a cellphone thing because it's not even that long.

Does this help?

Radiohead
Kid A
2000, I spent the three years between Ok Computer and its follow-up obsessing over Radiohead's every move. I had so many bootlegs from that

period that even I thought I could imagine what their next record would sound like. But I was wrong. From the moment I heard the soothing opening synth

notes of "Everything In Its Right Place," I knew that Radiohead had destroyed their own music in order to create it anew. It was astounding in 2000 to hear

a new Radiohead album... one that barely had any guitars. While familiar bootleg tune "How To Disappear" survived only mostly unscathed, the

acoustic ballad "Motion Picture Soundtrack" was almost unrecognizable. The title track had vocals - I just couldn't understand them. "Treefingers" was

three and a half minutes of ambience. "Idioteque" is like almost really club music. In hindsight none of this was all that weird: their last album opened

with a tribute to DJ Shadow, while its b-sides collaborated with Zero 7 and a remix by Fila Brazillia. This new sound was also grounded a bit by the urgent

acoustic guitars strums of "Optimistic" and the absolutely rocking bassline of "National Anthem." Kid A was a brave record, but one that makes sense in

hindsight. There's no way the band could have made a proper follow-up to OK Computer. So why not just reinvent the band?
Old 08.08.2017, 10:26 AM   #48992
Severian
invito al cielo

Nope. You're breaking up sentences for no reason. I'm just asking you to hit enter every once in a while, after a period of course.

Why would this look any

better to anyone than the

other way
?
Old 08.08.2017, 10:29 AM   #48993
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I guess I don't know why it bothers you so much. Your first paragraph of your latest reply in the movie thread is 203 words. This Radiohead paragraph is 227. It's not a giant stretch really is it?

The main thing is, I listen to albums and jot down my thoughts without planning them out or formatting them or even re-reading them. It's literally just an initial thought so it comes out in one un-broken thought. And I keep these (for myself) in a word doc as a listening journal. And I happen to share them here if anyone feels like discussing those albums. What you're asking me to do is go back and re-read them and format them differently than how I actually jot them down.

I can almost understand the block of text being a turnoff on a phone or whatever, except some of these blocks of text are the same-size-ish-ness of one paragraph of a longer post of yours. No?
Old 08.08.2017, 10:31 AM   #48994
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Seriously didn't read.

I read it. Just cos you have the internet age attention span of a ADHD gnat doesn't mean we all do.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2017, 10:32 AM   #48995
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
well, i would've been interested in your feedback, and find it kind of odd that some arbitrary spacing would make you read it. Again - must be a cellphone thing because it's not even that long.

Does this help?

Radiohead
Kid A
2000, I spent the three years between Ok Computer and its follow-up obsessing over Radiohead's every move. I had so many bootlegs from that period that even I thought I could imagine what their next record would sound like. But I was wrong.
From the moment I heard the soothing opening synth notes of "Everything In Its Right Place," I knew that Radiohead had destroyed their own music in order to create it anew. It was astounding in 2000 to hear a new Radiohead album... one that barely had any guitars.
While familiar bootleg tune "How To Disappear" survived only mostly unscathed, the acoustic ballad "Motion Picture Soundtrack" was almost unrecognizable. The title track had vocals - I just couldn't understand them. "Treefingers" was three and a half minutes of ambience. "Idioteque" is like almost really club music.
In hindsight none of this was all that weird: their last album opened with a tribute to DJ Shadow, while its b-sides collaborated with Zero 7 and a remix by Fila Brazillia.
This new sound was also grounded a bit by the urgent acoustic guitars strums of "Optimistic" and the absolutely rocking bassline of "National Anthem."
Kid A was a brave record, but one that makes sense in hindsight. There's no way the band could have made a proper follow-up to OK Computer. So why not just reinvent the band?

Fixed! See?

Anyway, of course I agree with everything you're saying, and I too remember my first listening experience with Kid A.
I sat at my computer with it playing through headphones and frantically AIMd my friend (who hadn't purchased it yet) with updates. I messaged him the lyrics as they played, like "Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon" followed by many question marks, and I tried to explain what the album was like.
I failed, but I did say at one point, "this almost sounds like Aphex Twin," which was probably my most on-point comment on the album.

Yeah. I mean, if you can't keep building, at some point you need to burn the fucker down. Kid A is far less experimental sonically than it sounded at the time, but for a #1 record it still shocks me that it hit so big.
Old 08.08.2017, 10:37 AM   #48996
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I guess I don't know why it bothers you so much. Your first paragraph of your latest reply in the movie thread is 203 words. This Radiohead paragraph is 227. It's not a giant stretch really is it?

The main thing is, I listen to albums and jot down my thoughts without planning them out or formatting them or even re-reading them. It's literally just an initial thought so it comes out in one un-broken thought. And I keep these (for myself) in a word doc as a listening journal. And I happen to share them here if anyone feels like discussing those albums. What you're asking me to do is go back and re-read them and format them differently than how I actually jot them down.

I can almost understand the block of text being a turnoff on a phone or whatever, except some of these blocks of text are the same-size-ish-ness of one paragraph of a longer post of yours. No?

I'm not asking you to go through all your reviews and reformat. What? I'm just saying hit enter sometimes. Or don't. I'm cranky.

And yes, I type massive paragraphs too, but paragraph is the operative word. I'll type one, hit enter, type another, and usually write a shit ton of blah, but not in one big square.
The shorter it is, he more it stands out if it's just one paragraph. That's all.

Anyway, I'm cranky as fucking fuck right now. So... don't mind me.
Old 08.08.2017, 10:38 AM   #48997
noisereductions
invito al cielo

"sounds like AFX" sounds about right. Especially in 2000.

I guess I should have mentioned too that UNKLE's first album could have predicted this a bit as well, with the "Rabbit In Your Headlights" single that Thom was on of course.

I guess even "Talk Show Host" would have hinted at this direction many years earlier.
Old 08.08.2017, 10:39 AM   #48998
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm going through some shit. Some real, honest-to-god, emotional goddamn torture. Maybe I'm wiping it off on unsuspecting surfaces, so to speak.

Do your thing man.
Old 08.08.2017, 10:48 AM   #48999
noisereductions
invito al cielo

it's all good dude. Not upset. Just explaining why there's no thought to format or whatever.

Anyway. Radiohead!
Old 08.08.2017, 02:43 PM   #49000
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Do believe this is the first time I remember Krokus being mentioned on this board. Headhunter was my introduction to the band, but One Vice At A Time was quickly added to my collection (on cassette).

'Big Rocks' is a "covers" album released in 2017

N.I.B.
Tie Your Mother Down
My Generation
Wild Thing
The House Of The Rising Sun
Rockin' In The Free World
Gimme Some Lovin'
Whole Lotta Love
Summertime Blues
Born To Be Wild
Quinn The Eskimo
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Backseat Rock N' Roll

For me they are more of an acquired taste. I used to hang out with a bunch of metal kids in my teens who had a (mostly) metal band. A couple of members who eventually I became very close to were into them to the extent one of them even got the nickname of Krokus from the rest of the band.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1950235024002440244724482449 2450 245124522453246025002550 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth