Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Kool Thing, Guitar Hero III wtf?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2007, 11:01 PM   #21
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
music if for everyone, so as far as i am concerned the more people that know about sy the better. who cares if scensters and what not like sonic youth, you don't have to hang out with them or even talk to them, so what does it matter.

EXACTLY. I just can't seem to understand that attitude.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 11:46 PM   #22
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
But it's just like Sonic Youth is just like, you know, a well kept secret. Sure, tons of people listen to SY and they are one of the most popular Alternative rock bands, but perhaps if you lived in Sydney you'd understand why it'd get annoying if everyone listened to them. They'd take something good and make a stupid deal over it and it'd ruin it. But yeah, music is for everyone like you said. It'd be chilidish of me to deny that.
Old 12.19.2007, 11:50 PM   #23
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
zero, they have been around long enough now i think for them to become loved by everyone in sydney
nothing to worry about son, now go drink some wine
Old 12.19.2007, 11:57 PM   #24
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
No, unless you buy me carbonated water.
Old 12.19.2007, 11:59 PM   #25
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
But it's just like Sonic Youth is just like, you know, a well kept secret. Sure, tons of people listen to SY and they are one of the most popular Alternative rock bands, but perhaps if you lived in Sydney you'd understand why it'd get annoying if everyone listened to them. They'd take something good and make a stupid deal over it and it'd ruin it. But yeah, music is for everyone like you said. It'd be chilidish of me to deny that.

Well, alright. But, I wouldn't think that anything would be ruined unless SY, themselves, made a stupid deal over it, and started producing crap, see?
The music would be the same if SY is truly as worthy as we make them, because big deal, or no big deal, the music is what matters, not the image.
(I know- redundant as ever)
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 11:59 PM   #26
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
music if for everyone, so as far as i am concerned the more people that know about sy the better. who cares if scensters and what not like sonic youth, you don't have to hang out with them or even talk to them, so what does it matter.
i completely agree. i'm pretty sure i made some angry ranting posts about this involving examples such as hicks at wal mart buying sonic youth records or something (they should be allowed to w/o being harassed just because they don't fit the archetype of a typical sonic youth fan etc etc)
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 12:09 AM   #27
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
Well, alright. But, I wouldn't think that anything would be ruined unless SY, themselves, made a stupid deal over it, and started producing crap, see?
The music would be the same if SY is truly as worthy as we make them, because big deal, or no big deal, the music is what matters, not the image.
(I know- redundant as ever)
Yeah, I dig what you mean. I'm just glad that even if SY found out that their fan base had been expanded quite a bit from GH3, they wouldn't change their sound. SY's music has been consitantly good from the SY EP to now. Even if RR wasn't amazing, they are still making quality music nonetheless.

Unlike The Chili Peppers were good up to the point where they started to seriously get well known (After BSSM), and then they changed to be more soft and stuff, and they lost the funk. It's just good to know that SY wouldn't do that.
Old 12.20.2007, 12:11 AM   #28
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
god, new chillis is so bad to listen to
i was listening to Bleach in the car on the way to perth with my headphones
and everytime a song finished i could hear my brother listening to chillis new cd in the car and it was just so fucking boring and crap, i wanted to die
Old 12.20.2007, 12:37 AM   #29
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
god, new chillis is so bad to listen to
i was listening to Bleach in the car on the way to perth with my headphones
and everytime a song finished i could hear my brother listening to chillis new cd in the car and it was just so fucking boring and crap, i wanted to die

well maybe your bro just needs to here john frusciante's first solo album which genius of the syd barrett kind.....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 12:48 AM   #30
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Yes, I've heard it's quite good.
Old 12.20.2007, 01:45 AM   #31
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
What's that one called? I have a few of his albums but never really gave them a listen.
Old 12.20.2007, 02:14 AM   #32
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
i hope people get into sonic youth from hearing the song. surely beats some of the other crap songs on the game.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 02:25 AM   #33
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
What's that one called? I have a few of his albums but never really gave them a listen.

Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt

And CHOUT is right about the songlist. It is pretty shit with the exception of a few songs.
Old 12.20.2007, 06:52 AM   #34
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
The comments for the Kool Thing guitar hero III videos are pretty funny. Worth it!

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 01:58 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Jesus christ, will you idiots learn to use the fucking search function on this goddamned forum or at least pay attention to the posts that are made here?

Chris Lawrence must be upset? I'd be upset too if I saw the people on this forum that can't even use a fucking search engine. Simple: Type in "kool thing", look! It comes up about 5 posts down! Type in "Guitar Hero III"... HOLY SHIT!

Seriously, this board is filled with bullshit that would get you banned elsewhere. We have like 90000 topics on the same albums, the same bands, just keep it all in one place! "DUH YOU TALK AABOUT SCIZZOR SHOCK A LOTTTT" Yeah, but I don't post 500 different threads about the same exact topic.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but we just had a reply to MY guitar hero III thread TWO days ago. Jesus.

a) yes, you are trying to be a dick.

b)dude, why did you take all this so personally? do I not have the option to start a new thread whenever the fuck I feel like it? is not the internet the last illusion of democracy in the supposedly free world? get over yrself. you know that YOU didn't have to respond to THIS particular thread, you could have went to the OTHER one, which I did not notice, because I did not GIVE that much a shit about it to look for old threads, i thought we could discuss it again on this thread.

yeqereta! (excuse me!)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 03:11 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Nice job overlooking the point I was making and just going into a defensive "you're a dick, and I'm too lazy to search" mode.

Let me reiterate in a "summarizing" fashion: Almost every message board around tells you not to keep putting up the same topic. Why? We don't need the board flooded with 500 messages about the same thing. Why? Because it's annoying and it's counterproductive to the point of a message board: we need new topics, new ideas, etc. It would have taken you THREE GODDAMNED SECONDS to see if there was already a thread like this. I'm on a 56k modem and it took me SIX seconds. You say you didn't care enough about this to search for it -- if you didn't care enough, why did you even bother posting at all?

Go ahead and tell me I'm a dick if you want, I'm not trying to be, I'm trying to illustrate a point: I don't like to see the same fucking bullshit on this board every goddamned day. You have the right to post whatever you want, but you're also making this board worse and worse. I have nothing against you, if I did the thing you did I'd want to be scolded for it as well. In fact, I'd say "hey thanks for pointing that out" instead of being defensive about it; we should all work together to make this board a better place, not one flooded with the same bullshit every day.

That's all.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 03:24 PM   #37
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i completely agree. i'm pretty sure i made some angry ranting posts about this involving examples such as hicks at wal mart buying sonic youth records or something (they should be allowed to w/o being harassed just because they don't fit the archetype of a typical sonic youth fan etc etc)
I understand what you mean, but the thing for me is that I don't want people to listen to music that I really love and treat it like trash, you know?

For Example, this one asshole I know asked me to burn all 20 something Sonic Youth CDs for him. I told him no. He said he'd give me the blank discs, but I still said no. He couldn't understand that I wasn't going to give him something for nothing. Something that I worked for a few years to get. Something that has some personal importance and value to me. I wouldn't give it to him because I knew he'd not care about it. I burned him Daydream Nation, and he hardly even likes it.

I think in the context of Guitar Hero, there are going to be people who will like the song, but treat SY music with no respect. Hardly caring for it. Not buying any albums, maybe some downloaded tracks.

It doesn't bother me too much because there isn't much I can do to stop it (and who am I to say who likes it genuinely enough or not...), but I'll definitely have no part of supporting that kind of thing, like burning all of my SY CDs for some douche.
Old 12.20.2007, 03:30 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think music is free for the masses, I don't ever want to be stingy: "you're not good enough to listen to MY music!" So what if it was hard for you to track down all the SY CD's? Fuck, I can name a THOUSAND bands and movies it took me forever to find or to discover, but as soon as I discover them I make sure and share the wealth. It's the 21st century, if someone went up to me and said, "Hey, man, I'm really interested in OOIOO, could you burn me some?" I'd go, "Yeah sure." If someone's interested in good music, why not support that?

On the other hand, burning 20 discs of SY is a bit much (especially if the person is an asshole, like you said), so I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that.

Guitar Hero are boring, terrible games. But I will say that their music selection is a bit curious, in that it sometimes leans torwards good music. Seeing "who was in my room last night?" by the Buttholes in GHII made my day: King Coffey IS probably the best guitar player no one ever talks about, afterall. So, in a way, GH does highlight some work that probably no one would ever think about in this day and age. For example, I look up Buttholes on youtube BEFORE GHII comes out and there's like 4 videos up. I look 'em up now and see like 20 videos. If it brings exposure to good bands, I'm all for it. Why do people act like they got some kind of treasure or something? Share the fucking musical wealth! I, for one, hate the fact that I like so many bands that no one on here ever talks about. I bring up a band like Distorted Pony and people go "huh?" That's annoying. I want to DISCUSS music with people, not have some superunderground masterpiece that only I know about.

Old 12.20.2007, 03:37 PM   #39
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I do burn CDs for people. I burn so many mixes for people specifically, and whenever someone asks me to burn them something I say sure, as long as they give me the blank (because lots of people ask me to burn things for them).

But I made a policy of never burning more than one album by the same band for the same person. Call it elitist or whatever, but if the person really likes that album/band they can go after more of it on their own. That 'policy' sort of grows out of my own preference too. I don't like being given tons of burned copies of CDs from one band. It gives me no incentive to (or at least discourages me from) go out and purchase the actual thing, which is something that I'd much rather do.
Old 12.20.2007, 03:57 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Word, that's a good policy.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth