Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.01.2018, 12:10 AM   #49301
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Bleeder's Digest- Say Hi

Sometimes I think, I get why some indie rock bands aren't that well known, why they remain niche. But then I think, some people are really missing out on some good stuff.

Anyway, this is an awesome album.
Old 01.09.2018, 07:59 PM   #49302
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2018, 08:47 AM   #49303
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
so a while back I started doing this kind of weird and arbitrary thing - I made a list of all the books that were released as part of that 33 1/3 series and decided I'd listen/re-listen to all of those albums. Not something I'm like binge-listening or whatever, but just if I'm like "hey I don't know what I feel like listening to" I have this list as a prompt for something random.

When I was much younger - like say jr high - I found all my parents' vinyl in the attic and decided to try to broaden my horizons a bit. They had The Wall by Pink Floyd and I don't think I made it through a single side before deciding this wasn't my thing. But a few years later a buddy of mine turned me on to Piper At The Gates of Dawn - or more specifically "Interstellar Overdrive." That song has remained one of my fav PF songs forever, and over the two decades since I've also become a much bigger fan of the band as a whole. (I went thru a pretty heavy phase in like 2008 or so actually). I digress tho. Piper is a super weird album, but it's awesome. One minute it's psychadelic, the next it's folky and the lyrics are almost always fucked. "Interstellar Overdrive" is still the HIGHEST of the high points for me here. But Piper is one of those albums I put on and then I'm like "oh man I just wanna listen to more Pink Floyd now."

It's really weird to me that someone would write a book about a Greatest Hits album. I mean if you're writing about an ALBUM then you'd think you'd be writing about something conceived in the album format, no? I'm certainly not an Abba fan. And I refuse to capitalize all the letters in their name as I'm not a fan of stylized band names. And we don't pronounce it Aye Be Be Aye. Anyway, I admit that some of these tunes are totally feel-good. Stuff like "Dancing Queen" and "Fernando" and all that. It's like the Bee Gees disco stuff where I'm like "well, I don't really like disco. But this is definitely tuneful." I totally forgot that Abba even did that "Take A Chance On Me" song, so that kind of grabbed me. "Knowing Me, Knowing You" is totally my favorite here. And my ears perked about a bit when I recognized that bit in "Gimme Gimme Gimme" that Madonna sampled a few years back. BUT... at 19 tracks - most of which focuses on their disco-leaning years, this is just too much Abba for me and mostly not my thing.
Old 01.16.2018, 08:30 AM   #49304
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2018, 11:16 AM   #49305
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

HTRK, etc.

My urge is to be mean to you non-stop, but... these are some sweet picks. Goddammit.

I especially like that Headroom album.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2018, 06:14 AM   #49306
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

This was reissued last year by SSR. Luuvverly.
https://soundcloud.com/s-srecords/se...erk-lp-sampler
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2018, 08:41 AM   #49307
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
My urge is to be mean to you non-stop, but... these are some sweet picks. Goddammit.

I especially like that Headroom album.
WAS IT ON YOUR LIST THOUGH?????

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2018, 10:32 AM   #49308
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
WAS IT ON YOUR LIST THOUGH?????

Ugh.
Old 01.18.2018, 06:55 PM   #49309
Severian
invito al cielo

Ashtray Navigations

Old 01.19.2018, 10:16 AM   #49310
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
this past week I was thinking about how - wow, before we know it the 2010's will be over. So this got me thinking about what my fav albums of the 2000's were since I've now had a lot more time to be removed and let those really sink in. Plus, the 2000's were me in my 20's. So the things that meant a lot to me then might not now. And the things I had no interest in then, I might love now.

So over the past week I've been spending a lot of time digging through and thinking about my NOW favorite records of 2000-2009. Some stuff is eternal, but some things def changed between then and now. I started building this big list and finally arrived at what I'm calling my Top 150 albums of the 2000's.

But right now, they're not ranked. So I've been going through and trying to make a ranked list. And in the meantime been noting what stuff isn't on Spotify and I don't have physical copies of anymore to track them down again.

Speaking of - c'mon Hova. Stop it w/ this flip flopping on Spotify. His albums are there. Then they're gone. Then they're back but not any of the Blueprints. Now they're gone again.

But yeah anyway. that's what I'm listening to right now. 150 albums from the 2000's. Haha.
Old 01.19.2018, 01:22 PM   #49311
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
^ I fear what's coming...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 01.19.2018, 01:24 PM   #49312
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
^ I fear what's coming...

you should. Clearly I have terrible taste and I'm going to subject you guys to me talking about 150 horrible albums. Seriously. All 150 are just bad. And the worst part? There's no way that you can just ignore it when someone posts about something you don't like! You'll have no option but to sit there and read my thoughts on 150 wretched albums. Buckle up.
Old 01.19.2018, 02:40 PM   #49313
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you should. Clearly I have terrible taste and I'm going to subject you guys to me talking about 150 horrible albums. Seriously. All 150 are just bad. And the worst part? There's no way that you can just ignore it when someone posts about something you don't like! You'll have no option but to sit there and read my thoughts on 150 wretched albums. Buckle up.

HEY, COOL IT, LADY! Alright, here's a little story that illustrates my ANTI-groovy, maaan, whatever floats your canoe approach:

Back when I was in college, some classmates got together to come up with a few coins to buy this other cat music for his birthday. Said cat was of that strange type liked by everybody: shy, never a ding dong to anyone, smart, always up for a bit of fútbol between classes, etc. So when I found out about the birthday operation, I said of course, very cool, here's what I can contribute — so pray tell, what music are you getting for him? The answer gave me the fucking willies: I won't name the bands because I would vomit all over the keyboard, but it was unacceptable repugnant wretched ultraderivative local SHIT. I told them, Christ on a stick, come on, why are you doing this to him?! And they said, well, THIS is what he likes! Which, unfortunately, was true.

So I thought, fuck this. I'm not giving you any fucking money. I'm gonna make him my own fucking present. And from then on, I started giving him tapes (yes, cassette tapes, that's what we had back then, you Spotifuckers) regularly, twice a week or so, of sheer awesomeness. Guy didn't know anything outside the SHIT, so it had to be a mix between the then-recently (or recently-ish) released and the older building blocks. Pleased To Meet Me. Exile On Main St. Peel Slowly And See. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road. Daydream Nation. Time Out Of Mind. Marquee Moon. Elvis' The Sun Sessions. Being There. Otis Redding's Live In Europe. Zen Arcade. John Coltrane's Impressions. Horses. Fear Of A Black Planet. Music For Airports. Dirty Mind. Eli And The Thirteenth Confession. Dig Me Out. And so on and so forth. My collection certainly wasn't as rich as it is today; I didn't have the lovely obscurities which also happen to be key to the cooliosity continuum, but I did what I could with what I had.

Fast-forward approximately two decades (yikes). He left the SHIT far behind. He developed his own fine taste. Like me, he doesn't stay in touch with the mediocrity perpetuators (OK, so they meant well, but they were mooks all the same). And even though we don't see each other that often (he's got a wife and a baby and a real job now, the silly man), we have attended several concerts together and we're still very good friends, better than we were back in the goddamn day.

Old 01.19.2018, 02:54 PM   #49314
noisereductions
invito al cielo

good story. Thank you for the thoughtful response.

That said, you and I just have different taste (though, overlapping at times) and we think differently about well... I don't know how to phrase it. You see things as like "oh I used to like A, but then I heard B, so A became shit and I left it behind." But I'm the type that doesn't stop liking A or B or C just because I've gotten into D. I go through phases, sure. But I always value that everything I've liked led to something else. Like every song I've ever heard is part of my musical DNA.

SY is my fav band of all time. Wilco is probably my favorite active band in the world. But I also value equally all the 90's 'alternative' and hip hop that I grew up on; all the jazz that I've binged on off-and-on for 20 years; the more mainstream hip hop and pop that I've enjoyed in recent years and so on. It's all stuff that means something to me in some way.

I also think I'm just less judgmental than you are about music. That's not a knock in any way. But our personalities are different. It's pretty rare that you find me saying any music is "shit" really. Not that I don't hate anything. I think I just tend to ignore/not post about things that don't interest me is all.
Old 01.19.2018, 09:21 PM   #49315
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
noise- It's mostly just music, so what the fuck

soup- Some music can change lives

I think both points are valid at appropriate times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I won't name the bands because I would vomit all over the keyboard

Creed. I'm going with Creed.

Possibly Third Eye Blind.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2018, 09:25 PM   #49316
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Creed. I'm going with Creed.

Possibly Third Eye Blind.

Far worse. As I said, it was local stuff, and this part of the world can come up with SERIOUSLY putrid horseshit...

Old 01.19.2018, 10:17 PM   #49317
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Absolutely amazing find on HDtracks.com. As far as Discogs is concerned, this one has never seen a CD release, but there it was in glorious 24/192! Bitchen...

Old 01.20.2018, 12:19 AM   #49318
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I think we can all agree Creed sucks.

Good middle ground evollove.
Old 01.20.2018, 12:27 AM   #49319
noisereductions
invito al cielo

to elaborate for a second, I guess sometimes I feel around here like I am berated for openly liking the things I like. And I don't expect anyone to like everthing I like. That's silly. I just like to think that all of our musical tastes are respected. Like, we all share a common interest in SY - presumably that's what brought us here. So in a sense our tastes all overlap and then diverge. But I respect what those divergences are. That's kind of all I'm ever trying to stress.

To use the example of me and Soup - we both love Wilco. A lot. But I love Ryan Adams and he hates him. And he probably loves stuff I hate. But whatever. That's what makes this board interesting - hopefully anyway. That we can all kind of weave in and out with our preferences and maybe even share some stuff.

Like evollove said - what the fuck. It's mostly just music. It's all just fun talk.
Old 01.20.2018, 06:49 AM   #49320
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
To be clear, I wasn't taking a side. Just interpreting both.

Some stuff is "just music," and some stuff can transform a person for the better.

To say it's all "just music" isn't always correct. Should Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" be used in a toilet paper commercial? Why not, if it's just music?

But to take all of it seriously seems like a waste of energy. Why get worked up about shitty music, unless it's really morally despicable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I just like to think that all of our musical tastes are respected.

hahahahahha

No

I swear, even after all these years, against my better judgement, I still really like Spice Girls "Wannabe." Gonna respect that? Hell, I don't even respect that.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1966236624162456246324642465 2466 246724682469247625162566 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth