Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2014, 03:51 PM   #18221
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
can we all agree that theocracies are shit and iran sucks though? a country that tortures and then hangs rape victims for defending themselves from their rapists. fucking nightmare shithole.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2014, 04:14 PM   #18222
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Not necessarily any worse than our own shithole, rape victims here have their own kind of publoc torture

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 08:40 AM   #18223
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
How was it an existentialist morality play? The fucking film was.about how.sandra.bullocks.cjaracter was paralyzed in her life with grief over losing her daughter, she is A FUCKING ASTRONAUT IN SPACE and yet only the.free spirited Clooney is ever enjoying the view? He has to talk her through it, her epiphany is that her life was worth moving on and fighting for.. also did you notice almost miraculously everything kept going just right? She makes it to space station just on time, then the station catches on fire forcing her to the escape pod just in time to escape the debris.destroying it.. oh yeah, she randomly brings the fire.extinguisher to the chinese station and only has it because of the fire.. then uses that extinguisher to propel herself to the last station? All those sequences were.about how everything in our lives adds up, how is that NOT existentialism? Notice I didnt say rreligious..

thats fine tho but IRL objects dont magically adhere to the demands of our subjectivity and fiction that pretends about this is imo despicable, cheap and evil.

also the morality is pretty horrible because its basically saying "get your shit together woman and be a good mother". ethically, people should neither breed nor exist so i am totally opposed to this film.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 08:44 AM   #18224
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
rabgor and sybill got it right about argo.

also it was just a boring film.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 10:51 AM   #18225
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
"Something Big" - this is more of a farce than a comedy western, but the cast is really good. Dean Martin kills alot of mexicans with a Gatling gun
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 02:09 PM   #18226
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
thats fine tho but IRL objects dont magically adhere to the demands of our subjectivity and fiction that pretends about this is imo despicable, cheap and evil.

also the morality is pretty horrible because its basically saying "get your shit together woman and be a good mother". ethically, people should neither breed nor exist so i am totally opposed to this film.

I re-watched this last night and can't for the life of me think where this was even implied.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 07:46 PM   #18227
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly, the.daughter.was dead! Movie was.about "ridley get your shit together grief has paralyzed you"... I recently watched American Hustle and it suuuuuuuuuucccckkkkked so bad! Pet Cemetery was ok.. kind of boring at first.and.cant for the,life of me see why the Ramones did the.soundtrack

Old 11.01.2014, 02:04 AM   #18228
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
recently seen:

Birdman (2014)- one of the best of the year. visually stunning and emotionally jarring. Just give Keaton the Oscar now!

Nightmare City (1980)- Umberto Lenzi is a low-rent Lucio Fulci, which is a fun thing sometimes.

Nightbreed (1989)- Shout Factory recently released a blu-ray version of this film. Still holds up from my youth. Terrific creature costumes and twisted mythology.

Rage (1972)- George C. Scott's directorial debut and he stars in it... about a father who takes revenge on the establishment after his son dies. Good stuff.

Fury (2014)- hated it. hated it. walks the uneasy line between John Wayne like jingoism and new liberal Hollywood bullshit. Anyone who reads one iota on the SS knows a final act reprieve is just mind boggingly bad.

St. Vincent (2014)- Bill Murray doing Bill Murray which is never a bad thing.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 08:14 AM   #18229
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
ms Ild and I watched Bullock/Clooney space opera the other night. We both thought it sucked. It reminded me of the Wm Burroughs sentiments about space, how we were taking our earthbound bullshit off the planet. Really a retarded script. Jingoistic and retreaded concepts, including how the Russians pretty much ruin everything. 6 thumbs down from the Ilds. (Our cats didn't like it either)
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 01:25 PM   #18230
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Nightbreed is brilliant, have you read the book? Clive barker could have been a Horror flick masrer but his shit is too smart for the slasher flick masses so the Hollywood suits never greenlighted much. Im glad you mentioned the mythology part, same thing with Lord of Illusions or Candyman, Barker creates stories that are worls unto themselves

Old 11.01.2014, 01:27 PM   #18231
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

As to William Burroughs.. of course we bring our human shit with us to space, its how our brains and souls work! Its why terraforming is a myth, whats the point of turning Mars into earth? It'd be same shit different toilet err.. planet

Old 11.01.2014, 05:53 PM   #18232
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Nightbreed is brilliant, have you read the book? Clive barker could have been a Horror flick masrer but his shit is too smart for the slasher flick masses so the Hollywood suits never greenlighted much. Im glad you mentioned the mythology part, same thing with Lord of Illusions or Candyman, Barker creates stories that are worls unto themselves

I never read the book (or any of Barker's for that matter) but I can see your point. I seem to remember the film originally getting pummeled when it was released back in the day because expectations were so high. It seems hard when you have someone like Barker (or for that matter authors like George RR Martin and sections of "Game of Thrones") who build up these expansive, indelible universes in print that can never adequately translate to the screen. Must suck to be a genius writer.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 07:48 PM   #18233
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I always loved his films and think he should have made more.. but I.dont think.he much Iiked the movie industry

Old 11.04.2014, 02:38 PM   #18234
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

The photography is undeniably great, but watching the evolution of a highly despicable character for 3 hours is a bit annoying, all the more as the plot isn't that great (it's pretty mechanical and predictable especially in the second half - cf the chapter titles). My least favourite Kubrick film with Eyes wide shut.

Kubrick's flaw is probably a (strong) tendency to be overly technical on the expense of the humanity of his characters.
Old 11.16.2014, 01:19 PM   #18235
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
That one where Dustin Hoffman is a reporter and John Travolta just wants his job back.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2014, 01:20 PM   #18236
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2014, 02:15 PM   #18237
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Ski School
Old 11.16.2014, 03:37 PM   #18238
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

The photography is undeniably great, but watching the evolution of a highly despicable character for 3 hours is a bit annoying, all the more as the plot isn't that great (it's pretty mechanical and predictable especially in the second half - cf the chapter titles). My least favourite Kubrick film with Eyes wide shut.

Kubrick's flaw is probably a (strong) tendency to be overly technical on the expense of the humanity of his characters.

oh maaaaan! this is one of my most loved kubrick movies!!! i've seen it a bunch of times

yes i get what you sway about the coldness and emphasis on the technical (and what technique! those wide shots make me nauseous with pleasure) but

a) i don't find lyndon particularly more despicable than the rest of the people around him-- he's just a different social class

b) all tragedies are predictable in their trajectories

no, i get why you don't like it, i do, but that's precise it why i like it so much at the same time. even the choice of that particularly wooden actor (the same thing he does with tom cruise in the other movie you dislike) serves to make the circumstances bigger than the person. you get the same flavor out of early soviet cinema.

check out robert bresson's "notes sur le cinématographe" for an alternative theory on acting ("models" he called them). even if bresson didn't completely follow with it in practice-- it's the approach away from filmed theatre to something else entirely.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2014, 06:29 PM   #18239
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh maaaaan! this is one of my most loved kubrick movies!!! i've seen it a bunch of times

yes i get what you sway about the coldness and emphasis on the technical (and what technique! those wide shots make me nauseous with pleasure) but

a) i don't find lyndon particularly more despicable than the rest of the people around him-- he's just a different social class

b) all tragedies are predictable in their trajectories

no, i get why you don't like it, i do, but that's precise it why i like it so much at the same time. even the choice of that particularly wooden actor (the same thing he does with tom cruise in the other movie you dislike) serves to make the circumstances bigger than the person. you get the same flavor out of early soviet cinema.

check out robert bresson's "notes sur le cinématographe" for an alternative theory on acting ("models" he called them). even if bresson didn't completely follow with it in practice-- it's the approach away from filmed theatre to something else entirely.
Thanks for the input
Old 11.16.2014, 06:40 PM   #18240
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

9/10
812862902909910911 912 9139149159229621012 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth