Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is it still OK to laugh at Courtney Love?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.09.2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://youtu.be/v-xUwDARVb4

This is what the person who posted this says,

"Published on Sep 8, 2014 Hole performing Celebrity Skin live at Don Hill's in NYC, Sept. 11, 2010.

I was hired through the venue to record this show (including many others throughout that week) and was then left standing with a hard drive and an invoice no one seemed to want. Four years later I still have the files and not really any idea what to do with them. But I like to share. So here we are.

What you are hearing are just Courtney's isolated vocal and guitar mics (with the obvious bleed from the rest of the band). I've muted everything else. This video I've borrowed from elsewhere on youtube and in trying to sync up my own audio I realized they were a little sloppy with their edit. But you get the idea.

To address the most obvious, inevitable question that I will be asked...this is not fake. Whether you think she's the worst or this just makes her all the more "punk rock" is for you to decide. I'm merely presenting the facts as they are. Make of them what you will."
Old 09.09.2014, 08:37 AM   #2
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Does Anyone Have A Tab?
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 09:19 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF OUR TIME

vocals are okay considering the chopped-off nose

"punk" she is not--falls squarely into the dominant ideology. more of a hard rock cafe type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
i want to be her butler someday.

she'd get abusive and you'd end up regretting it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 11:52 AM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

"punk" she is not--falls squarely into the dominant ideology. more of a hard rock cafe type.

everyone here knows how much I loathecourtney love BUT lets be honest, I came up in the crust/chaos punk scene where punk is about sabotaging the world instead of pretending everything is looking great (sort of like what tupac meant when he said, "act up if you feel me") and by that definition I cant think of a single human being who is sincerely more punk than courtney love.. I think its why kurt married her!
Quote:
she'd get abusive and you'd end up regretting it
More so proof of my point

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
She's so punk it's a wonder why she isn't in the next Katy Perry video! [edited for timeliness]
Old 09.09.2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
She's so punk it's a wonder why Thurston doesn't leave Eva Prinz for Courtney Love!

Totally not getting old.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 01:03 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
i've been preparing for it and it couldnt be any worse than the way my dad treated my mom

damn!

i'm sorry that happened to all of you...
Old 09.09.2014, 01:13 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Savage Clone again.

Old 09.09.2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Johnny "Magic Fingers"
children of satan

Johnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's asses
She DID make the cover of Guitar World so...

Johnny "Magic Fingers" is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
You've got to rep yourself before being allowed to rep Rob or whatever...
The video's a great find.
Her face doesn't look like anything I associated her with. Total blank.

I ain't a fan at all.
She was fast at name dropping and journalists might have liked that a lot and gone to her for some bashing.
That is a bit dull.

I use might and a bit a lot. Retrieve it all and you have the idea.

She'll end up playing with 3 more guitarists to cover it all.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 01:42 AM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Kurt would have loved this version.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 09:36 AM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny "Magic Fingers"
She DID make the cover of Guitar World so...

she looked waaaaay more interesting before all those surgeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Kurt would have loved this version.

hmmmmm…. naaaaaah!
Old 09.10.2014, 11:37 AM   #13
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
FYI, the uploader updated the text and added a link to the same song, but with the live mix. And then you don't hear anything of the false guitar.
And he aslso added a link to the full vid in the bad mix just in case you want it.

never liked hole and never will

did went to a concert once where the guitarist messed up so much that after a minute or so the mixer stepped up and turned his volume way way down ;-)
Won't say what the band was, because I do love them, and he was just a temporary replacement (or so I understood). But I did share the recording ...
and please don't cheat and look at my last.fm stats what's now playing ...

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 02:36 PM   #14
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
damn..that shit is embarassing!!!! hahahaha
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2014, 02:52 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjhBf4vlTw0

Maybe she's not even holding a real guitar.
Old 09.10.2014, 03:20 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

So I finally had time to watch the original Youtube clip in question..

whoa and wow.. I mean, we all knew Courtney was a musical parasite who stole all her guitar work from Kurt and Billy Corgan but shit, its blatantly obvious watching this video...

I mean, I didn't really have any respect for her before, but now I think I have negative net respect for her as a musician and somehow I think she owes me some respect for having listened to Live Through This enthusiastically for two decades now

Old 09.10.2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I thought the art of trolling on the internet was dead in 2014.
Old 09.10.2014, 04:19 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 09.10.2014, 04:24 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
all her guitar work
Skills and style more like. Since you're an expert on individual guitar styles, give us a description of the following guitarists in your own words. I'm by no means an expert myself.

Jeff Beck
Keith Richards
Johnny Marr
Kawabata Makoto
Curt Kirkwood
Liz Harris
Old 09.10.2014, 05:05 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Jeff Beck
This guy is a technical aficionado and considered one of the finest guitar players ever, and I have no criticisms or critiques other than that when he plays it comes across as almost robotic. The guy can shred, he can rip, and he can play classical. When he touches the fretboard, its with such a commanding finesse that its almost a paradox! He can combine and bridge scales and patterns in intuitive ways that are unprecedented even among the greats. I guess my only criticism is sometimes he overly relies on speed and attack which makes a lot of his playing come across as a bit rushed..Also in a way, maybe he can do too much and there fore never really settled on a particular style to make his own?

Quote:
Keith Richards
Wait, this dude actually plays guitar? Where does he find the time in between drug binges and debauchery

Quote:
Johnny Marr
There is an edge and intensity to this guy's guitarwork that I have always admired, but I just can't stand Morrissey. The way the guitarwork, particularly the fills and use of feedback were so ably matched with the tempo and beat is impressive, its what introduced a lot of people to a kind of "musical distortion" aside from just the standard metal blaring crush of feedback. To be sure, a lot of the bands I listen to were heavily influenced by The Smiths, indeed I've even been accused in my own guitar playing of such influence even though I don't listen to them, so there is that.

Quote:
Kawabata Makoto
This speaks for itself don't you agree? This guy does things with his guitar that I fantasize about.

Quote:
Curt Kirkwood
I always thought the Kirkwood brothers were completely underrated from the "grunge" era, their guitar work has much more complexity, especially in their fill patterns and leadwork, but their vocals simply lacked the prowess to match their instrumentation. I also enjoyed the way they could turn their fill work into noise using distortion. They clearly knew there scales but in a more intuitive way. When they played on Unplugged they demonstrated just how much further they were away from Kurt Cobain's more simplistic style.. I like their music, I listen to several of their records, but its almost a niche audience vocally speaking, honestly if these guys had a "better" singer they probably would have been much more significant. To be sure, my own guitar work (use of fills and stretched chords) is heavily influenced by Meat Puppets..

Quote:
Liz Harris

I've never heard of her so I can't say shit, but checking out Grouper on youtube I'm semi-interested, as folks here know I am rather obsessed with dream pop sounding shoe gaze

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth