Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.03.2017, 03:01 PM   #48701
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
hows the new Actress, haven't heard it yet. is ne GAS out yet?

Oh fuck, the new Actress... I think that comes out Friday.
New Gas is out. Haven't heard it yet.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2017, 01:01 PM   #48702
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.06.2017, 01:09 PM   #48703
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

The new Actress is pretty good, but a slower burn than Ghettville, I think. I've listened a couple of times now, and I like it, but I think it's going to take a bit for it to wrap itself around my brain and really reveal its mysteries.

Check out the track "X22RME" ... pretty goddamn sweet.
Old 05.06.2017, 01:12 PM   #48704
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses

deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2017, 01:23 PM   #48705
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus

Nice man. Love this.
Old 05.09.2017, 08:07 PM   #48706
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
my Wilco binge continues to feel appropriate.

Speaking of,

This is, of course, in the context of their Solid Sound Festival (now that is a festival I could dig).

You can vote once per day. I say A Ghost Is Born JUST BECAUSE I wanna hear ALL 15 MINUTES of "Less Than You Think" live. (Actually, those 15' on the album are themselves an edit of a 45' or so performance... Bring on the 45 minutes! With O'Rourke and everything!). The show should be available later via their Roadcase and I'm effin' buyin' it.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2017, 08:13 PM   #48707
Severian
invito al cielo

A Ghost is Born
Being There
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Star Wars
Summerteeth
Wilco (the Album)
Sky Blue Sky
Schmilco
A.M.
The Whole Love
Old 05.09.2017, 08:14 PM   #48708
Severian
invito al cielo

^^ just sayin'... I probably won't vote, but I'm not one to shy from a list.
Old 05.09.2017, 08:27 PM   #48709
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm not one to shy from a list.

You don't say, huh.

ETA: Right now Being There is leading with 29%. YHF follows closely with 27%. Ghost and Summerteeth are tied with 13% each. Fifth place for Sky Blue Sky with 7%. A.M. hangs in there with 2%. Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love do what they can with 1% each. Star Wars and Schmilco don't register yet: 0% for both.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2017, 09:51 PM   #48710
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I would vote Summerteeth for the feels, but either in first would be great picks.
Old 05.10.2017, 07:34 AM   #48711
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, so, if I were a massive all-out Wilco fanatic, I might vote Being There just because it's a longer album and it would mean more Wilco at he show (presumably).

However, I can't really imagine why twice as many people would want to hear Summerteeth or YHF than A Ghost is Born. If you saw Wilco in the late '90s and early '00s (sometning I can almost guarantee many of these voters did), you've already heard those albums played in full, or close to it. And I can attest to the fact that "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" and "Poor Places" and "Ashes of American Flags" all the other scattery, studio epics from YHF don't exactly translate well into live performances. Those are headphone tracks. Their intimacy and stereo-headlines are lost in an arena or even a theater. I have never seen them performed in a way that measured up to the studio versions.

Regarding Summerteeth, again, like Flaming Lips and the Soft Bulletin, if you've seen the band since the album came out, you've probably seen the album performed more-or-less in full. Even if you saw these bands years after the release of their releases, chances are the tracks from these albums made up a good chunk of the non-new material either band played. This has been true of Wilco and certainly true of Flaming Lips in my experience.

Now, assuming that pretty much everything after 2005 is considered "post-peak" material for the band (still goood albums, but the pop culture sainthood had ended, let's be hienst), why then would anyone hope for anything other than A Ghost is Born?

Song-wise, it has the material that is most live-ready, and in my experience, translates the best into a live performance. It's an album of folk, kraut and shredding, with a bit of soul and bounce to boot. The songs are epic and will not devlolve into cluttered messes on stage (YHF). It has the soaciness and creative boundary pushing of YHF, but it's also a *rock* album.

A Ghost is Born is the only logical choice unless you're an old Uncle Tupelo nut and you want to get close to Anodyne (in which case I'd understand voting for A.M.).

Long story short, I'm right, other people are wrong, and A Ghost is Born is the album people SHOULD want to hear most, because LOGIC.
Old 05.10.2017, 12:48 PM   #48712
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

I risk mentioning this one and the inevitable Sev wants to punch Billy Pumpkin in the face thing. Haha. Not to mention that even most SP fans seem to dismiss this album. But I've always liked Zeitgeist. Granted it was a reunion in name only, there was a weird thing that happened the day it was released. I went and picked it up on my lunch break. On my way home I stopped for gas and another guy - about my age - was blasting this album in his car. I made a comment "oh nice" or something and he gushed about how he'd been waiting for a new SP album for years. There was something special about an album in 2007 making people actually GO TO THE STORE to buy a physical release on release day. Y'know? Anyway, this is rambling. I do like this album. At least more than most people do anyway. I've probably heard it 3 or 4 times this past week.

Not the album tho - the bonus disk from the deluxe edition. Their early b-sides were so awesome. I remember in high school making a mixtape (cassette) of all the b-sides me and my friends could find to keep us satiated after Pinkerton. "Jamie" is easily one of the best things they recorded in those early days. Love that song. Great stuff here.

you guys probably hate when I even post in this thread huh? Vitalogy was def the "weird album" at the time. It's def nothing like Ten or Vs anyway. I actually think I like it a lot more now than I did back when it came out.

We had some nice weather over the weekend (after some very bad weather). Soft Bulletin is such a great Spring album. I'm at a loss at what else to say. It's so classic. I don't know if I need to really say anything.
Old 05.11.2017, 03:26 AM   #48713
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Man....I have totally forgotten about Soft BUlletin. It has such an awesome intro....man....I'm gonna listen to that all day tomorrow. 'I stood up and I said hey....'

anyways, in here to post up this one.
Hijokaidan recorder with idol group BiS to make a noise/jpop album.
the made a second a year later...wasn't aware of this one...BISKAIDAN2!!

https://youtu.be/bPcAk3PSVS0
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2017, 08:45 PM   #48714
Severian
invito al cielo

NR - I went to the store to but a bunch of albums in 2007. Zeitgeist was not one of them. In fact, I've only met one person in my life (aside from you) who has ever even mentioned it. She was a co-worker when it came out, and she was very excited. Waxed philosophical about SP like they were Bob goddamn Dylan. I felt bad for her.

Thanks for reminding me that Corgan is on my face punch list though. I've been zeroed in on Drake, Trump and Jared Leto. My list is getting bigger than I ever intended it to be.

Vitality totally has its moments though. It's the best Pearl Jam album even though it has some sick-ass shit on it. I LOVED it in '95.

It kinda boggles my mind that you listen to so much Weezer and SP, but mad love bro. Mad love. A music fan without balls is not a music fan. Unless it's a girl. I've been working for 14 hours and have no brain juice left for clever-type-stuff, but you get my meaning.
Old 05.11.2017, 09:38 PM   #48715
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Luv u too
Old 05.11.2017, 11:24 PM   #48716
Severian
invito al cielo

Sorry man. I promise I'm trying to be funny and I just sound like a dick.

I'm so so so tired right now.

You're my bro and I don't care if you listen to stuff that I don't like. Don't care a bit. Actually makes me want to re-listen to that Blue Album bonus disc. "Jamie" is a damn good song.
Old 05.12.2017, 12:11 AM   #48717
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
gas i'm not gonna comment on (haaaaaaaa......) but the actress record is really strong. certainly a grower: when I first heard it i thought it was oddly superficial for him (using field recordings of japanese speech in 2017 to connote the future is pretty ridiculous) and not overly cohesive, but it's crept up on me pretty rapidly to the point where I'm loving it, which is oddly the complete reverse of my relationship to ghettoville nowadays. first two sides of azd in particular are stunning, like the first promo track does nothing for me but in the context of the record just constantly picking up pace with those tracks the whole thing's very effective. definitely his most colourful record under any moniker since r.i.p., but again the effect is more heavily dulled. just much more vivid than ghettoville and even the levantis full length; like the latter fleshed out a bit more heavily and playing at 45, with none of the turgid conceptual baggage of the former (having said that still like this record, just cooled on it significantly).

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2017, 07:16 AM   #48718
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Sorry man. I promise I'm trying to be funny and I just sound like a dick.

I'm so so so tired right now.

You're my bro and I don't care if you listen to stuff that I don't like. Don't care a bit. Actually makes me want to re-listen to that Blue Album bonus disc. "Jamie" is a damn good song.

I didn't think you were being a dick. I got what you meant. "Why be a music nerd if you're going to just like what everyone else says is good?" right? And I agree. Whatever. I like stuff you don't. You like stuff I don't. It really doesn't matter.

Binaural was apparently some huge hit for PJ, sales-wise. Which is kind of weird to me. I don't remember anything here being a big hit single or anything. Maybe it's just because they would have been riding high after "Last Kiss" around this time? Anyway, I think Binaural is just good. There's nothing wrong with it. Nothing I dislike. But it's pretty safe sounding for the most part. Just kind of sounds like PJ making a 'classic rock' album. I can't really say anything bad about it, but I am reminded why I don't revisit it often.
Old 05.12.2017, 08:18 AM   #48719
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I can sorta see SP being a love em or hate em deal. But I mean Weezer is just good happy pop. Sev, you never did hear their white album from last year huh? Even as an obsesso, I think it's their strongest album in a long long time.
Old 05.12.2017, 09:11 AM   #48720
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sev, you never did hear their white album from last year huh? Even as an obsesso, I think it's their strongest album in a long long time.

Whaaaaat??? No bra, I listened to it, like, within an hour of your asking me to listen to it!

I swear! I'm pretty sure we even talked about it on the board. I remember I was giving you shit about it (playfully) and you told me I should check it out because I like their first two albums and thought EWBAITE was so so, so I put that shit on Apple Music like right then and there. I think I was actually on lunch and sitting in my car, and I put the alibum on while I ate.

I did the same thing when louder asked me to give Earl's I Don't Like Shit... another listen. I did it, literally, as soon as I possibly could.

Can't believe you'd forget this stuff man.

This (my own selflessness, willingness to re-evaluate things at other people's requests and overall awesomeness as a friend) is one of the reasons why it makes me want to HANG MYSELF FROM A CEILING FAN when you put off listening to the new Kendrick Lamar album for like a month. Dude-yo! Or when louder seemed to have absolutely made up his mind that TLOP was shit, despite my efforts to bully him into adopting my perspective, and my *endless* dissertations on how and why it was, in fact, dope AF.

(The TLOP/louder thing was ultimately just hilarious, obviously, and a huge win for me, because 9 months later louder declared that it was beautiful and made him cry and it ended up being his favorite album of the year. Baaaahahahaha!!!! Could have saved himself some time if he'd just heeded to my words for, like, ALL OF 2016. Hahahaha!)

Now I am in a goofy mood because I slept a FUCKLOAD and then drank a keg of coffee.
1936233623862426243324342435 2436 243724382439244624862536 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth