Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think of tool?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2010, 03:07 AM   #81
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Tool is one of those bands you like when you're a teenager.

...but you love when you're an adult.

ZING!

Or maybe this post is april fools-ish.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 07:31 AM   #82
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Looking through this thread, it's funny, it looks like I made all the posts, when in fact I was replying to SWay on a bunch of them...

Oh, and belated reply (perhaps I just didn't deem this as even being worth wasting my time replying to the first time around)..
I've never encountered you in your life, so your point is invalid. But yeah, ICP fucking rulz. JUGGALOS FOR LIFE WOOP WOOP.

I just went through some of infinitemusic's posts - I've always found him relentlessly negative. After 3 pages of drudgery, there was something mildly positive about Vic Chestnutt and Black Sabbath, a few comments about SY and otherwise exclusively negative comments. In that context, I laughed when I got to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
Dude, ignore it. When you have nothing to contribute, you do shit like post pictures of Billy Corgan.

In response to Herr Death.

Obviously, I'm hardly captain enthusiasm, but I just wanted to point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 07:32 AM   #83
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, and incidentally, I can't abide Tool.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.01.2010, 07:46 AM   #84
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
infinitemusic reminds me a lot of atari 2600.

Old 04.01.2010, 07:51 AM   #85
Glice
invito al cielo

Really? Atari was hysterical, and funny, and sometimes quite smart. None of which really applies to infinitemusic.

Quote:
Old 04.01.2010, 08:17 AM   #86
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, I just meant the negativity.

Atari was one of the darkest posters on the board.. I always imagined him as brooding away.

Old 04.01.2010, 08:49 AM   #87
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah - I think Atari was more engaging because you at least knew that he was enthusiastic about a lot of things, and was pretty good at sharing torrents and so on. Nothing I was ever interested in, but that's hardly the point.

Quote:
Old 04.01.2010, 09:55 AM   #88
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
yeah their musicianship is just plain average, none of them can play their instruments or write songs...

you may not like them but you should be able to appreciate that they are all fucking brilliant musicians at the very least
Adam Jones isn't brilliant at all.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 10:53 AM   #89
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
yeah their musicianship is just plain average, none of them can play their instruments or write songs...

you may not like them but you should be able to appreciate that they are all fucking brilliant musicians at the very least

a brilliant musician or musicians whose output sounds like TOOL is like a brilliant physicist who only works on how to make plastic bags for pooper scoopers
Old 04.01.2010, 11:46 AM   #90
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
a brilliant musician or musicians whose output sounds like TOOL is like a brilliant physicist who only works on how to make plastic bags for pooper scoopers

Thankfully, Adam has done much work outside of Tool. His guitar offerings via the Melvins have been outstanding. Especially on that Pigs of the Roman Empire record. Really wish Noiseland Arcade would release something (a side project featuring Adam and Buzz).

All of Maynard's side shit has been garbage. Even the stuff w/ Lustmord has sucked cat box.
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 12:39 PM   #91
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But yeah, ICP fucking rulz. JUGGALOS FOR LIFE WOOP WOOP.

ICP = dog beats
TOOL = dog shit

Did you hear that they're going to be in the next episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2010, 12:21 AM   #92
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Adam Jones isn't brilliant at all.

Derek, I'm going to have to politely/respectfully disagree here. Adam Jones isn't a flashy guitarist, but he always knows exactly what to play for maximum emotional impact. A song like Eulogy has layers and layers of interesting little guitar things going on. He really is good at constructing some really well-made songs. I like his sense of restraint, very uncommon for a popular heavy rock act. The most talented guitarists know when not to play. Everything he plays is quite simple, but, well... that doesn't really matter (at the top of my head, every Joy Division song is easy as fuck, but it's all memorable).

I'll agree that there are a few too many dumb drop-d riffs, but 75% of System of a Down's self-titled album is the same way, and it still rocks. I see it more as Tool just playing down to their audience.

They're a creative, interesting little mainstream rock band. Aenima is probably better than 90% of SY's catalogue.

Old 04.02.2010, 05:16 AM   #93
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'll leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2glu3WLGk

8-piece koto ensemble performance of "Lateralus"
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 08:00 AM   #94
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Aenima is probably better than 90% of SY's catalogue.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 02:25 PM   #95
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
tool are just crap
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2016, 04:45 PM   #96
Dr.Mambo
empty page

Dr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's asses
Aenima is good and lateralus is decent. I guess undertow is a good album. Don't like 10,000 days. I like puscifer best out if all Maynard's projects
Dr.Mambo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2016, 07:13 PM   #97
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I really think they're overrated. Puscifer is NOT funny, and brings to mind the most obscenely bad "look at me!" butt metal with its even more irritating take on the Primus "thing" ... Their videos are embarrassing to watch. I imagine they hit home with many a pimple faced Midwestern high school outcast, but hopefully those kids go on to discover Melvins, Rodan, Unwound, and other bands that make every project associated with Tool sound equally bland and sophomoric.

I think there are some interesting musical moments on Aenima, specifically "Jimmy" and "H" ... But I think the interesting things they managed to do were accidents. A Perfect Circle is SO AWFUL. That band sounded like a mashup of Incubus and Creed. And they really pock-marked a NIN show for me back in the day by boring the fuck out of me.

I see them as a relentlessly juvenile band that has squeaked by with some of the more "highbrow" music types by throwing bits and pieces of "artsy" experimentation and references to philosophy into their unbelievably tepid, Luke warm vanilla ass songs.

I don't mean to be a hater here. I've tried to be fair about the OK music they've released and not focus only on the complete and total shit, but I can't do it anymore. If I find myself feeling in the mood to listen to Aenima (which I was quite taken with when it first hit), all I'd have to do is think about the fact that the first song is called fucking "Stinkfist" and the urge would die. Took brings to mind high school boys ... The kind of high school boys who play bloody knuckles and like anything that's obscene. Like that goddamn wrench-penis Tool t-shirt. Ugh. Ughhhhh! So. Goddamn. Unfunny.

Who needs Took when you have Spiderland and Leaves Turn inside You and Rusty? Fuck Tool.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2016, 07:17 PM   #98
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I forgot that Tool fans tend to be absolutely intolerant of anyone who doesn't love Tool. That's so charming.

Feel the wrath of my pale, acne-covered stare as I contemplate shooting you with my dad's hunting rifle!!! Beware the flecks of spit that are bound to shoot out from my braces as I curse you for not liking the almighty band that releases like one album a decade and refuses to die!!!
Old 03.08.2016, 10:57 PM   #99
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
loved AEnima for a week when it came. never bothered since. they're boring and have no groove. shitty prog metal with no swagger. you can throw limp bisquick and korn into this category too. hell, just dump the whole rageful late 90's rape intent alt rock metal waste into my bag of disgust so I can tie it to cinder blocks and throw it in the nearest river.

*hocks loogie and spits*

good riddance!!!!

Hah!

Tool's a different kind of bad than Korn and Bizkit though. APC, with their Incubus like drums and vocals that makes me want to deafen myself, are more in that family of "kinda-heavy-rawk" ... Tool is the best of the related projects, but they're still utter shit. Just awful.

My girlfriend loves them
Old 03.08.2016, 10:58 PM   #100
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I like Tool just fine. I'm not a "fan." But I like them.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth