Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MP3 Players - Do You Have One? What Do You Think About Them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you own an MP3 player?
I own one and I love it. It has changed my life. 17 39.53%
I own one, but don't use it that often. It comes in handy sometimes. 10 23.26%
I want one but don't have the money. 7 16.28%
I bought one but hated it. 0 0%
I don't want one, I just don't see how I need that much music with me all the time or whatever. 5 11.63%
I don't want one and furthermore, I think they are bad for music and for the people that own them. 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.09.2006, 08:06 AM   #21
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've got one (40bg) but it's a piece of shite. Just really badly designed but i'll keep hold of it 'cos i've spent too long putting my albums onto it. I've ever bought an mp3 and never will do.
Theirs something a damn sight more satisfying buying an actual album from a shop with packaging and all.

Amen.

I wish more people could see this.

I also with the industry would stop overpricing CDs.

If all CDs were between $5-8, I would never download an album again if I could buy the real thing.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 08:23 AM   #22
pao-lino
bad moon rising

pao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's asses
I
have a cheap rio mp3player.

after I bought it I used it a lot, now it starts getting dust.
I keep on dloading, but lately I'm buying a lot of albums... maybe soemthing is going on, but for istance, the other day I bought 3 albums (also the sonic youth s/t) spending for everything 29 euros (...31 dollars, I think). It's a good price...I found an AREA lp for 7 euros!
I'm starting (maybe I'm getting "mature") to download stuff just to make a selection of what I'm going to buy later-maybe this is also beacuse I have less time now to listen to music.
Having a vynil version of something is wonderful, of course.
I just listen to my mp3 reader on train, and it's a magical container of bootlegs. that's it.
pao-lino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:14 PM   #23
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I have a Creative Zen Touch 20 gig. I only download really high quality so there's only 5 gigs left and I've got only about 2,500 songs on it.

Quote:
Having your entire collection at your fingertips kind of makes you a different music listener. You have the opportunity to switch around and listen to this and that versus sitting down and listening to an album in the context that it was originally placed in (whatever you want to think about that). I like the portability aspect of harddrive mp3 players but that's about it.

I agree with this. I don't take mine every single place I go, but listening to music out of context, like Wolf Eyes (for example) on a road trip makes you feel differently about what you listen to.

I buy around three or four cds a month to make up for it, so to say, but plunking down 15 bucks a time when there's a lot of things I need to be buying are really hard. That's why I download, or I can't buy the album. Asking my folks to get onto Amazon and buy "Dial 'M' For Motherfucker" is kind of awkward.
Old 04.09.2006, 03:26 PM   #24
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
I think its the best peice of technology ever created. Your whole music library, (for me about 250 records) all compressed into a tiny digital micro chip box to listen to whenever and wherever you want. Except mine has a pretty shabby battery
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:34 PM   #25
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I own a small one. 500MB about 120 4min songs in mp3.
I love it though, I get to cary around a good 5-9 hours of music around with me, whether it be school, the library whatever. I dont listen when walking though because I turn it to loud and Im blind to whats around me.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:36 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
fuck an iPod.

I bought an MP3/Disc Man that plays MP3 data discs. I had a shit load of grateful dead concerts in MP3 formats filling up data discs. I had been burning them out slowly but surely onto CDs, and one day I was in Walmart and said, shit I should just buy this MP3 player. It did indeed change my life. THe batteries last 88 hours! I can carry around around 400-600 songs on any CDR. THe dead worked out so well, I painstakingly converted my ENTIRE disc collection into a handful of MP3 discs. Dont let the corporations fool you! fuck and iPod!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:38 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
Amen.

I wish more people could see this.

I also with the industry would stop overpricing CDs.

If all CDs were between $5-8, I would never download an album again if I could buy the real thing.

Word.
Old 04.10.2006, 03:56 AM   #28
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I have an old Rio Volt CD/mp3 player and now a friend is about to bring an Ipod from the US for me.
man, I'm so excited, it's the 5th generation 30GB one...damn, I don't even have so much music on my hard drive ;-).

I'm gonna have the black one though.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 06:30 AM   #29
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
mp3 player like the ipod are all about portability.suchfriends,as you said i used to have a cd player that can read data discs filled with mp3,but now i have an ipod mini (kindly given b y a friend of mine at a more than reasonable price,like 80 bucks for a 4 gb player),and i must admit it is indeed useful.no need to switch cds,playlists etc make it a nice travel companion.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 08:10 AM   #30
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I'm ditching CD's sometime this summer. I'm going to sell them all off and rebuild my collection in Vinyl, then just download all the albums I have on Vinyl for my MP3 player.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 04:22 PM   #31
grungenotdead?
empty page

grungenotdead? ain't too shabby
i hate ipods/mp3's they suck

grungenotdead? is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth