Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page My Sonic Youth "Best Of" for a begginer friend. Tracklisting?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.11.2008, 03:45 PM   #21
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
i think free city rhymes is a pretty good one actually... its longer and more discordant, but its catchy in parts too...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
don't put reena on it, it's not representative of their music at all.
Old 09.11.2008, 03:49 PM   #23
al shabbray

^^and that track is one of the worst they ever did
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:00 PM   #24
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
don't put reena on it, it's not representative of their music at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
^^and that track is one of the worst they ever did

hell no. reena is good, and it's representative too, tricky with their style on brake. so don't say this. and for beginner it's good.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
hell no. reena is good, and it's representative too, tricky with their style on brake. so don't say this. and for beginner it's good.

Old 09.11.2008, 04:14 PM   #26
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl

but it puts sy in the wrong light. that song is so damn alt-rockish...
please and especially not as the opener
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:17 PM   #27
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
The love for "Superstar" should be obvious. It's an amazing cover.

I mean, if it's association with JUNO rubs you the wrong way or something, then that's one thing. But I dont think you can deny that it's an especially great rendition of a song that could have easily been an embarrassing mess of an attempt.

I've never seen Juno, but I don't know... Superstar wouldn't even be in my top 200 of Sonic Youth songs. Thurston's sort of whispery voice rubs me the wrong way. He sounds great on Tokyo Eye, but in this cover, he sounds all too pretentious. I do enjoy the Carpenters version though. It's one of my mom's favorite songs.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:24 PM   #28
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Starpower
Expressway to Your Skull
Schizophrenia
Catholic Block
Stereo Sanctity
Teenage Riot
The Sprawl
100%
Drunken Butterfly
Becuz
Saucer Like
Sunday
It really depends on his musical tastes.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Starpower
Expressway to Your Skull
Schizophrenia
Catholic Block
Stereo Sanctity
Teenage Riot
The Sprawl
100%
Drunken Butterfly
Becuz
Saucer Like
Sunday
It really depends on his musical tastes.

this looks like a more accurate representation of sonic youth.
Old 09.11.2008, 04:33 PM   #30
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but I think their "easy-listening" songs (Rather Ripped...) are not their best.
And I think SY is not a kind of band you could get into immediatly, for a lot of poeple.

Old 09.11.2008, 04:33 PM   #31
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest, if I wanted to truely represent what Sonic Youth to means to me, I'd just shove Andre Sidre Af Sonic Youth on a CD-R and give it to her. But it'll put her off the band for life, all I want to do is provide her with some catchy tunes at act as that initial springboard into her discovering that shit for herself, maybe... one day. I mean, I started off with Dirty, and now I love Silver Session more than anything...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:36 PM   #32
al shabbray

just put on it what feels best for you and her. you know her best, what might will catch her attention. the backkatalog of sy is just to big and different in its whole to give a 100% sure shot tracklist
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:41 PM   #33
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly, when you get a CD like this from someone, besides enjoying the music, by the end of it you want to feel you've learnt something about their style and their music. If I put Invito Al Cielo, Bull In The Heather and Lightnin' on there it'd just confuse the hell out of her, and she'd be back to square one in terms of understanding what the band are about. I'd rather just give her as thorough as I can introduction to one element of SY's music, and she can explore the others in time.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.11.2008, 04:41 PM   #34
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

Sister is a sure thing.

Old 09.11.2008, 04:44 PM   #35
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Yes I know, and I'm starting to feel I should take at least one of Kim's Rather Ripped tracks off and replace it with Schitzophrenia. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before, it was, afterall, the first SY track I truely loved. Probably cos I havn't listened to Sister or Washing Machine in some time...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.11.2008, 04:44 PM   #36
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Exactly, when you get a CD like this from someone, besides enjoying the music, by the end of it you want to feel you've learnt something about their style and their music. If I put Invito Al Cielo, Bull In The Heather and Lightnin' on there it'd just confuse the hell out of her, and she'd be back to square one in terms of understanding what the band are about. I'd rather just give her as thorough as I can introduction to one element of SY's music, and she can explore the others in time.

sure you dont want to scare her. and like its with all good artists you shouldnt start with the most advanced groundbreakin stuff. cause it can be hard to understand for someone thrwon in the cold water.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 04:47 PM   #37
al shabbray

one thing maybe...
put on some longer tracks which evolve to the more abstract sonic youth after starting more pop like.
something like diamond sea or karen koltrane/revisited
so she can maybe start to follow the Idea of SY aestetics
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 05:03 PM   #38
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Hmmm, I listened to the Residents and Can before I even went near Sonic Youth, and I still don't think I'd have had much patience with these tracks if I'd heard them first. Sonic Youth back then, even to a fan of long-winded experimental music, were just a band I didn't really give a shit about, not gods like now. You tend not to have much patience with bands you don't know, is what I'm trying to say. And just because this girl like Pink Floyd shant make her much different I feel.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 09.11.2008, 05:07 PM   #39
al shabbray

yes you are right maybe. but maybe put some of these tracks as the closer or something. for me some of their best songs are the long ones. I just would not leave them completely off
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2008, 05:07 PM   #40
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno why exactly you're making this comp for her with only their most fun pop songs. That doesn't reflect them at all and she'll never be truely into the band if she can't handle say, Daydream Nation.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth