Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Paris Hilton's album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.01.2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
this is a thread for the pop music fans here, i know you all hate her and she sucks, etc etc. so spare me the comments unless they are witty and extremely insulting.

i got really curious after i heard a song from her and it wasn't unlistenable, it was actually really good, so i downloaded the album and i have to say that i was very surprised. half the song are very well written pop ditties that have been lacking lately, well put together, catchy, fresh and well orchestrated; the other half of the album is just hilarious, songs about how rich she is, how hot she is, how famous she is, how many times she can say "that's hot" in a song, it's so over the top it's funny as hell, when she tries to sound horny, she ends up embarrasing herself but, isn't embarrasing herself part of the paris hilton experience so far? the apex of this, though, it's her cover of the immortal dirty wedding stopper "do ya think i'm sexy?", that one is beyond words.

so, anyone else heard the album? i know it's one of those things you pass up before giving it a chance, i actually would have written it off completely if i hadn't heard a song from it, but it's really a surprise here. sonic youth should listen to it.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Man, Paris Hilton SUCKS!!!!!!! You fucking SUCK!!!!! SUCK!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
By which I mean, no I haven't heard the album, I assumed the single was a fluke. It was a fucking brilliant single though. I might check out the album.

One of the great things about proper pop albums is that they usually take less than 6 months to appear in charity/ second-hand shops. Because of you, Mr N, I will be checking the album out soon. But only if you tell me that you love Avril or Shakira.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.01.2006, 10:13 AM   #4
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
My Paris Hilton tshirt shall be arriving in the post soon.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 10:16 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Is that a t-shirt with a picture of her, or one that she used to wear?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i love avril!! don't you remember those threads? it's really that...it's weird that the really good pop stuff is sometimes the one that isn't super popular.

she has everything against herself, i mean, she is paris hilton after all, most people are not going to take her seriously at all.
Old 11.01.2006, 10:27 AM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Is that a t-shirt with a picture of her, or one that she used to wear?
With her face on it.Smiling.

Old 11.01.2006, 10:34 AM   #8
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
"Stars are Blind" honestly isn't bad. It's cheap (Paris, why does this song sound cheap?) reggae with pretty fairly whispered vocals. The part near the end where she sings "Excuse me for feeling..." sends me.

The thing is she's super rich and should have offered this record for free. Agreed?

Here's a glowing All Music Guide review - It's four paragraphs long and four and a half starred. And here's a paragraph from the review...

Make no mistake, Paris is a very good pop album, at times deliberately reminiscent of Blondie, Madonna, and Gwen Stefani, yet having its own distinct character — namely, Paris' persona, which is shamelessly shallow and devoid of any depth. Where that might be irritating within a movie or within pop culture at large, when placed in a shiny, hooky dance-pop album it works splendidly, particularly because the songs are strong and Storch and company know how to keep things light — and everybody involved knows that it's fun to play around with Paris' image, no matter if it's her murmuring "that's hot" at the beginning of the record or covering Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," or writing about her feud with Nicole Ritchie on the delightful "Jealousy." But for as much as Paris is about Paris, she doesn't necessarily stand out here; her voice — which is almost certainly auto-tuned and tweaked by a computer, yet it's nevertheless appealing, more so than Britney Spears' often awkward squawk — may blend into the production, yet that actually helps the recordings since it emphasizes the melodies above everything else. And there are some irresistible melodies here: the breezy "Stars Are Blind," the gilded rush of "I Want You" driven by a "Grease" sample, the sweet "Time After Time" rewrite "Heartbeat," and the great power pop of "Screwed," for starters.

My favorite pop song at the moment is Fergie's "Fergilicious". She has the most delicious rapping voice. The song is basically a rip-off of the underrated "My Humps". Is it the fact that she refers to her butt as a lump that drives people crazy?
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i love avril!! don't you remember those threads? it's really that...it's weird that the really good pop stuff is sometimes the one that isn't super popular.

she has everything against herself, i mean, she is paris hilton after all, most people are not going to take her seriously at all.

Shit, sorry dude. My memory is rubbish. I should've remembered given that I have you in my mental list of people with trustable taste (and good English).

Yeah, I really hate Paris Hilton 'no-mark celebrity' persona, but her song was unbelievably good. I think it helps that she's not really a 'singer' singer, and she doesn't try any of the histronics that a lot of people do. Christina A I have problems with, sometimes she does brilliant stuff, other times I can't be dealing with all the up and down the scales stuff. Same for Mariah C.

Quote:
Old 11.01.2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

christina has been going downhill since her spanish album, i can't really listen to her anymore, but her debut? brilliant. mariah is a song by song basis for me.

i actually laughed out loud for like 3 minutes (the duration of the song) when i heard "fergielicious", why is she so jealous of gwen stefani?
Old 11.01.2006, 10:48 AM   #11
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
christina has been going downhill since her spanish album, i can't really listen to her anymore, but her debut? brilliant. mariah is a song by song basis for me.

i actually laughed out loud for like 3 minutes (the duration of the song) when i heard "fergielicious", why is she so jealous of gwen stefani?

Man, I'm jealous of Gwen Stefani. 'ho''s got crazy style. Although, I might be a little bit more jealous of David Letterman. Here's a link to a bunch of photos proving why I am (and why you should be)...

Old 11.01.2006, 10:52 AM   #12
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I was watching this programme about celebrity legs last week and Gwen's came out as being highly coveted by a lot of girls and other celebs.

Old 11.01.2006, 10:56 AM   #13
nomowish
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I was watching this programme about celebrity legs last week and Gwen's came out as being highly coveted by a lot of girls and other celebs.

Girls are really, really smart.
Old 11.01.2006, 11:54 AM   #14
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone could have made this Paris album or whatever. She obviously did not write any of the songs herself and her vocals have some major post production going on.

My point is: you get the best pop song writers in the industry and a decent producer and ANYONE could have a #1 pop album. Paris just happens to be rich and famous for being rich, so its "her" album.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Anyone could have made this Paris album or whatever. She obviously did not write any of the songs herself and her vocals have some major post production going on.

My point is: you get the best pop song writers in the industry and a decent producer and ANYONE could have a #1 pop album. Paris just happens to be rich and famous for being rich, so its "her" album.

Anyone with two hands and a passable singing voice could've made any of the Ramones' albums.

Quote:
Old 11.01.2006, 01:30 PM   #16
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I actually heard the song and she sings quite good, she does seem to have a singing voice, not like Ashlee Simpson.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 02:28 PM   #17
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
where has pink gone. we need more transvision vamp wanna be kids in the pop parade.

long live debbie gibson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11.01.2006, 04:28 PM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
To be fair if you throw enough money around you can get a great song written for you.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2006, 07:49 PM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine

my point exactly in the original post of this thread, i said that her good songs on the album are things i haven't heard in a long time. the fact is, paris hilton is not the only girl who can get "the best pop songwriters in the industry" and a "decent producer", but she's the only one who has made a record of well written memorable songs (for the most part of it) instead of christina aguilera or jessica simpson, who are pop singers by career.

but yeah, this post is retarded. WELL DUH! it's no big news popsters don't write their songs and have heavy post production, that's what a COMMERCIAL POP album is. if you'd ask me, the majority of rock and indie rock would be better off having someone writing their songs.

and the thing, her album didn't and will probably never get to number one, while something completely horrid and badly done (like, say, robbie williams in the uk or p diddy in the states) will surely sell millions of copies.

now go wallow on the thought that my bloody valentine will never get back together.
Old 11.01.2006, 08:19 PM   #20
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
I heard a few songs off of the album before it came out and really couldn't stand hearing them again. I actually don't have anything against paris hilton, I just didn't really like the music. Stars are blind is good though, screwed is ok, but some off the ones with hip hop artists on there are unbearable to me.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth