Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2015, 02:04 PM   #19021
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I think Pahluniak is one of the worst excuses for a writer ever.

I'm going to see this this week and expect it to be magnificent

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2015, 02:56 PM   #19022
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I like Chuck's ideas but yeah, his actual prose and particularly dialogue is terrible. And i say this having read all of his books

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2015, 04:18 PM   #19023
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck this movie 12 Years a Slave..

Fuck this movie.
Fuck this movie.

Old 09.06.2015, 03:16 PM   #19024
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I like Chuck's ideas but yeah, his actual prose and particularly dialogue is terrible. And i say this having read all of his books

I've only read Fight Club and Survivor, and a bit of his short fiction, like the aforementioned Tyler Durden story.

I am not a fan of his writing either. He appeals to the same crowd that Brent Easton Ellis appealed to in the 1980's. Young, rich, privileged, white urban lushes. That's not to say either writer is bad... Ellis is much better of course... But what irritates me about Palahniuk is the repetitive style, the constant cynicism and the pomposity of those short abstract declaratives... I am ----'s [body part]"... "I am [Nihilism]'s [self-appointed generational spokesman]."

It's been a long time since I've thought much about the guy, and I don't think much about him now. But I do think Fight Club was a good book with an excellent story that was turned into a fan-goddamntastic film.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2015, 03:40 PM   #19025
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i read choke and lullaby and found them entertaining. definitely not high literature, but entertaining enough. then i made the mistake of buying "haunted" at an airport. what an unmitigated piece of shit (2nd time i say that this week i think).

fincher is a decent enough director though.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2015, 03:42 PM   #19026
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i read choke and lullaby and found them entertaining. definitely not high literature, but entertaining enough, and i even thought choke had a kind of morality about the necessity of freaks and outcasts to band together. "punk," in a way. then i made the mistake of buying "haunted" at an airport. what an unmitigated piece of shit (2nd time i say that this week/thread i think). haven't been able to touch him since.

fincher is a decent enough director though. movie came out alright. for my taste most of the credit goes to edward norton though-- he's the one memorable thing about it when you look back.
Old 09.06.2015, 05:50 PM   #19027
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'm going to see this this week and expect it to be magnificent

How was ir?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2015, 06:07 PM   #19028
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I think Survivor is the best.. it plays most into Chuck's style and usual themes. That being said, while i think his writing is not particularly good, i feel his ideas and imagination are original enough to merit reading. As was said, high literature its not, but its still more imaginative than the usual pulp fiction on the best seller lists

Old 09.07.2015, 01:51 PM   #19029
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I myself do like his early novels. I think Survivor is my favorite but really like Invisible Monsters as well. His first three novels are in my opinion his best, I've read Choke and Lullaby and was not as into them and it's been quite some time since I've returned to reading any Palahniuk, but Fight Club 2 does have my curiosity at least.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2015, 02:57 PM   #19030
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I liked this flick. He should've kept the money though.. the ending wasn't too bad, i kind of liked how they randomly met again as it seemed the movie was going for "fresh start"

Old 09.08.2015, 01:32 AM   #19031
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

A PROPHET

french movie about an arab kid in prison

not very appealing description i know but holy fuck turned out to be a great movie
Old 09.08.2015, 03:05 AM   #19032
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Left Behind - The Trilogy

Based on a series of evangelical christian novels about the rapture and tribulation. I'm not an evangelical Christian (or a Christian at all) but that whole thing sort of fascinates me.

Hollywood remade the first one with Nicholas Cage but downplayed the Christian angle and tried to turn it into an action/disaster movie. In these, though, the religion's pushed firmly to the forefront. Lots of scenes where really clean looking American people, who all look like shopping channel presenters, take time out to pray, and smile knowingly whenever god's mentioned. The head of the UN (a Russian) is portrayed as the anti-Christ and his plan to create a single economy is presented as some kind of commie/satanic plot. Christianity as conspiracy theory.

Crap but brilliant at the same time.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2015, 08:56 AM   #19033
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
How was ir?

haven't seen it yet, have to go up to the big citay to see it, we don't get shows like that in Tiny Town. I expect it will be on par with Songs from the 2nd Floor and the rest of his oeuvre, which I think are some of the best and funniest social commentaries ever done.

Hey, just watched this the other night. Omar, man o man, what a good movie. A real fine combination of a great tragic story, good acting and dialog, and surprises and plot twists. One of my favorite movies in a long, long time.

Also didn't hurt at all to look at her:

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2015, 09:54 AM   #19034
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Based on a series of evangelical christian novels about the rapture and tribulation. I'm not an evangelical Christian (or a Christian at all) but that whole thing sort of fascinates me.

Hollywood remade the first one with Nicholas Cage but downplayed the Christian angle and tried to turn it into an action/disaster movie. In these, though, the religion's pushed firmly to the forefront. Lots of scenes where really clean looking American people, who all look like shopping channel presenters, take time out to pray, and smile knowingly whenever god's mentioned. The head of the UN (a Russian) is portrayed as the anti-Christ and his plan to create a single economy is presented as some kind of commie/satanic plot. Christianity as conspiracy theory.

have you seen OMEGA CODE???? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203408/
Old 09.08.2015, 10:52 AM   #19035
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
No, but having just read about it it seems like just what i'm in the mood for.

One review described it as 'shockingly incompetent'.

Can't wait.

Thanks!
Old 09.08.2015, 10:57 AM   #19036
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
SHOCKINGLY incompetent.
Old 09.08.2015, 12:35 PM   #19037
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

I read the first book of that/ and for the most part I was actually enjoying it. Then the ending happened and refused to even consider the second one.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2015, 02:14 PM   #19038
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
have you seen OMEGA CODE???? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203408/

Old 09.08.2015, 03:19 PM   #19039
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Watched Abel Ferrera's new film about the last two days of the life of Pier Poalo Pasolini, with Willem Dafoe as Pasolini. It was quite watchable, liked it more than I tend to like Ferrara's movies (but not as much as Welcome to New York) and it has one of the best orgy scenes I've ever seen. Willem Dafoe's wife is in it and she has the hottest eyebrows of all time.

Anywho, the film left me almost none the wiser about Pasolini. But it did make me read his wikipedia page, turns out he was quite the man about town.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2015, 02:19 AM   #19040
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I read the first book of that/ and for the most part I was actually enjoying it. Then the ending happened and refused to even consider the second one.

Same here. I got about half way through then gave up, but I couldn't shake the fascination so when I found out about the films I jumped on them.
852902942949950951 952 95395495596210021052 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth