Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page thanks porkie for the movie recommendations
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.12.2006, 04:35 PM   #1
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i watched "last exit to brooklyn" last night and wow! what can i say, great film... had to hunt down a VHS copy but it was worth it. now i'm tempted to read the book, but of course i'm already reading too many books at the time... nevertheless, thanks for the recommendation.

got any more?

since you showed me yours i'll show you mine (ha ha)

if you like tarkovski and guy maddin and bizarre slow near-boring weird movies, interkosmos is doing the film festival circuit in various parts. saw it last friday, met the filmmaker- awesome guy! bought the dvd + his earlier short videos... don't miss it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 05:20 PM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
the book is great

the only hubert selby, jr. i've ever read
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 06:05 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.12.2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
If you liked that book read Selby's The Demon. It's kinda like a predecessor to American Psycho type stuff. A successful man wants more than the mundanity of his everyday life and so begins his 'hobby' which starts with petty crime and builds into bigger and better things. Loved it!
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 03:55 AM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i watched "last exit to brooklyn" last night and wow! what can i say, great film... had to hunt down a VHS copy but it was worth it. now i'm tempted to read the book, but of course i'm already reading too many books at the time... nevertheless, thanks for the recommendation.

got any more?

since you showed me yours i'll show you mine (ha ha)

if you like tarkovski and guy maddin and bizarre slow near-boring weird movies, interkosmos is doing the film festival circuit in various parts. saw it last friday, met the filmmaker- awesome guy! bought the dvd + his earlier short videos... don't miss it.
No problems *&&&^$$£.I have to thank Lou Reed for discovering this great writer.Have you ever watched Buffalo 66?I thought it wouldn't be much before i got it but when i've finally watched it i've thought it was a very good movie.Bittersweet but at least it has redemption in it,unlike 'Last exit to Brooklyn'.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 04:29 AM   #6
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
And thanks for the recommendation.I like it when you show me yours.

Old 06.13.2006, 04:37 AM   #7
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
If you enjoy my entries, you'll enjoy Selby.

Kinda like this

My name is khchris, and I'm on a sonic youth message board, and I like to change how people think, and I like my Spurs and my dual processor mac, and I saw Husker Du in 85, and I don't call people black--they are African American, and Hitler is my hero, then I yelled "NEXT!!", again I yelled "NEXT!!!!", "NEXT!!!", then all was silent......then again I yelled "NEXT!!!"

Continue this run-on for about 100 pages and you got yourself khchris' version of a Selby novel
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 04:39 AM   #8
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I personally don't have a problem with them.If others do,i wouldn't possibly know what to say.

Old 06.13.2006, 01:16 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh i would say there is a measure of redemption in last exit to brooklyn-- the movie at least. the boy who cries for tra when she is all torn up & destroyed-- and she consoles him. the workers go back to work, tony + the dad finally get along... not everyone fares that well of course, but there is some hope for... some at least.

about buffalo 66 i loved that movie and now i'm on the hunt for "the brown bunny", which originally received atrocious reviews, but now....? ??
Old 06.13.2006, 01:27 PM   #10
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
buffallo 66 is a great movie but from all accounts, and im not talkin reviewers, im talkin people who id listen to, brown bunny kinda sucks a lot!

while we are on the subject of fils and shit, im gonna rear this chestnut up again.....
"kill yr idols"

whats the deal, is it ever gonna get a dvd release????? any info?????

cool flicks....
try
mike leighs
life is sweet or naked
the spinal tap guys (cant think of name)
best in show
living in oblivion (underrated classic)
phonebooth (colin farrell in great film shocker)
dr stranglove (peter sellars= quality)
Old 06.14.2006, 03:51 AM   #11
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Oh yeah %%%$"".Try Mike Leigh's 'secrets and lies' or 'career girls'.The ones PAULYBEE came up with are mighty fine too.

Old 06.14.2006, 04:07 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ive seen secret & lies but not naked

career girls? first time i hear-- will check it out

last night i (finally!) saw "the big lebowski" and oh i laughed and laughed.

i love the coen brothers yes but this one had eluded me until now.
Old 06.14.2006, 04:16 PM   #13
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
cool flicks....
try

the spinal tap guys (cant think of name)
best in show

bluhdhound dawhggy

Harlan Pepper: I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut. Pine nut, which is a nut, but it's also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut.

Fred Willard is the best in that movie though
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 06:14 PM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Selby's partially stream of consciousness prose style is really something & it's testament to his worthiness that he pulls it off so well (at least he does in Last Exit to Brooklyn).
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris
If you enjoy my entries, you'll enjoy Selby.

Kinda like this

My name is khchris, and I'm on a sonic youth message board, and I like to change how people think, and I like my Spurs and my dual processor mac, and I saw Husker Du in 85, and I don't call people black--they are African American, and Hitler is my hero, then I yelled "NEXT!!", again I yelled "NEXT!!!!", "NEXT!!!", then all was silent......then again I yelled "NEXT!!!"

Continue this run-on for about 100 pages and you got yourself khchris' version of a Selby novel

There are certain kinds of parasites which feed off of their host and eventually usurp the host - for instance, there are certain kinds of wasps which lay their eggs in the flesh of insects. The host body is powerless, and eventually the new animal is borne of the corpse of its host. Rarely do the parasite animals come out as more amusing than their hosts.

A new biological precedent has been set here this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 06:35 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
There are certain kinds of parasites which feed off of their host and eventually usurp the host - for instance, there are certain kinds of wasps which lay their eggs in the flesh of insects. The host body is powerless, and eventually the new animal is borne of the corpse of its host. Rarely do the parasite animals come out as more amusing than their hosts.

A new biological precedent has been set here this evening.

nah, nah, this has been going on for a while; khchris has long been established as the Original Comedy Machine of this board. just look at his rep points with a mere 51 posts. i myself am impeded from doing it more often. whoever is the real person behind the mask has been earning applause from the start. rep points my ass-- i'd send them a check for the fun provided, but i don't know who or where they are. maybe paypal.
Old 06.14.2006, 06:46 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
nah, nah, this has been going on for a while; khchris has long been established as the Original Comedy Machine of this board. just look at his rep points with a mere 51 posts. i myself am impeded from doing it more often. whoever is the real person behind the mask has been earning applause from the start. rep points my ass-- i'd send them a check for the fun provided, but i don't know who or where they are. maybe paypal.

You are, of course, utterly correct. Nonetheless, I feel our little bringer of light should be publicly applauded more often. I too am impeded from the 'rep' giving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth