Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2011, 10:16 PM   #41
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
parents suck

sonic youth rulez

duh jose
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2011, 10:18 PM   #42
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
I feel really bad posting anything about this, but I do not post much and it was a coincidence that i even saw anything about this tonight!

I just would say, anything is possible! The down tone of the spin article is not echoed in the matador statement itself, and not echoed in the very recent New York City concert which did not to very intuitive sonic lifers (Jenn and others) suggest anything like there was this turmoil and imbalance about Thurston or Kim!

Love is a many splendored thing, marriage is not, necessarily!
I do not feel like, even if Sonic Youth dematerializes now, it would be in a way that was unloving to music and art. : ) Their perspectives on life are not traditional, and their love of the truth found in music and art is not going to disappear even if Sonic Youth, itself very close to the exact pulse of modern music and art, would dissolve.
rocky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2011, 10:21 PM   #43
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I'm reposting my reaction from Facebook, because I heard it there in Genteel Death's post first.

Less than 3 months ago, I went to see Thurston play in Portland and Kim was in the audience up front with Coco. He ended the night with "Psychic Hearts" which my wife covered and I went home and told her all that. Now Deanne's dead and Kim and Thurston are breaking up. I'm well aware nothing lasts forever, but this has been the fucking hell year.

A hell year for a beautiful person. I really hate it for ya man. If ya need anything....
Old 10.14.2011, 10:52 PM   #44
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know what to say...
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2011, 11:27 PM   #45
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
I'm ashamed to admit that the first thing that crossed my mind upon seeing this article, without having any time to think, is whether this means the end of Sonic Youth. But as sad as that would be, more importantly, I wish the best for both of them and Coco. Divorce can be an extremely painful thing, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

As for those of you making a joke of this matter, I'm sure you think it's harmless, but please consider the concept that there's a time and place for everything.
Old 10.14.2011, 11:35 PM   #46
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not really sure how to feel about this, and I suspect being that the details (none of which are my business) will likely never surface that I'll always feel that way. All I know is that it's obviously serious. Kim and Thurston have always done an amazing job keeping their private/relationship life out of media spotlight sans when things were BIG (Coco being born, etc). Them taking the effort to even announce the split is enough for me to know it's serious. I like to think it's temporary and things will be worked out, but yeah...kind of doubt it. We shall see. Hopefully this doesn't mark the end for the band, but at the same time seeing them on stage together and knowing they are no longer a unit might feel a bit strange. I always thought their relationship situation was about as good as anyone could ever be fortunate enough to find themselves in. 27 years, insane. All those great tunes. This shit is a bummer.
Old 10.14.2011, 11:45 PM   #47
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory

As for those of you making a joke of this matter, I'm sure you think it's harmless, but please consider the concept that there's a time and place for everything.

it's a defense mechanism to lessen shock of this obviously shocking situation.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2011, 11:51 PM   #48
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0u6L7EJNUA
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 12:08 AM   #49
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
after that....is the truth.
Old 10.15.2011, 12:31 AM   #50
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

I just feel like....

Old 10.15.2011, 12:36 AM   #51
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Man, if I made a list of stuff that would be a sure thing for forever, I wouldn't even bother listing Kim and Thurston's status as a couple, that's how much of a sure thing I thought it was. Never really came into question in my mind.

I know better than to let you go.
I know better than to let her go.
I know better than to let you go.

I know better.
I know better.
I know better.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 01:55 AM   #52
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
parents suck

sonic youth rulez

duh jose

Sonic youth are parents.

Did I just blow yr mind?
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 01:56 AM   #53
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I just feel bad for their daughter, since her parents break up will be so public and will probably follow her for the rest of her life.

besides that, I don't really care.

Sonic youth have put out enough records for me to enjoy and I don't mind if they never release another record again.

And I'm sure kim and thurston lost the spark a long time ago, don't do business, or at least long term business with yr lover.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 02:43 AM   #54
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
This is me opening the Spin Article :

Unbelievable.
Old 10.15.2011, 03:08 AM   #55
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I hope they are able to work everything out. It's really a huge shocker on one hand, but yet in the other you're kind of surprised after all that touring for so long it hadn't happened sooner.

I think they'll still do something. Mac and Laura broke up in Superchunk in 1993 and the band is still together today, touring and releasing new music. It's sporadic, yes, but I'd rather see minimal SY activity as opposed to none at all.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 03:41 AM   #56
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Damn.
I hope they+families are ok.
No idea of the reasons and I don't even want to know them, it's their business.
If this will affect SY plans (will wait for news on this before 2012, after the planned gigs, I guess), I'll be super bummed if they won't plan a "goodbye 2012" euro tour, I've only heard "work in progress" versions of the Eternal songs live and now I'm afraid I could well die before having a chance to listen to some of the "songs I want to witness live before I die" off my list (which includes, among others sy gems I never heard live, a proper "hello 2015" Skip tracer).

Thanks to both of them for the music, the laughs, everything.
Still hoping SY can go on as a "collective".

p.s. this will sound silly, but at first I thought they announced a split 7"...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 04:00 AM   #57
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
Even I feel bad!
Next
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 04:02 AM   #58
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

On second thought, 27 years is a great run. Most don't go that long. I don't care as long as they're happy (and nothing this far leads me to believe anything otherwise). I don't see it being the end of the Youth...I mean, everyone knows that's where the money is for them. Will be interesting to see what happens. And if it is the end of the Youth, oh well to that too. Shit man, they stuck it out for ages. No shortage of tunes.
Old 10.15.2011, 04:03 AM   #59
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
barely awake..went to a news site.....saw a headline "rocker couple split"...when i clicked on the link..i expected some couple i could care less about splitting..and had also hoped to laugh ......i'm surprised and of course promptly came here...wow..i'm shocked.......and stunned...and not laughing
Old 10.15.2011, 04:07 AM   #60
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
What a shock, I don't know what to say. I'm so sad.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth