Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page [New Release] Jason Kahn "Beautiful Ghost Wave" and more...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2011, 04:16 AM   #1
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
Hi!
We have a 2 new cd out!

1101 Jason Kahn:::: Beautiful Ghost Wave

The title "Beautiful Ghost Wave" occurred to me as I was composing the piece from different recordings I'd made in my studio during 2010. In order to keep track of all the working material I gave the different sound files names, and in this case "beautiful ghost wave" was one of them. This particular file struck me for the beauty of the peripheral sounds occurring, a kind of sonic aura hovering around the more central sounds in the recording. Thinking about this more I began to see this title as a model for the entire piece, where the partials of a sound, something analogous to "hearing between the sounds" (as in "reading between the lines") became the focus for my compositional choices.

Beyond all this "Beautiful Ghost Wave" is a bit of a departure for me in that it deals more with dramaturgy than other work of mine. I wanted to extend a sense of movement to the sounds and create a feeling of the piece expanding and contracting, both through dynamic modulation and an emphasis placed on spatiality in the stereo field. Although the piece retains a sense of forward movement and an allusion towards an impending resolution, I wanted the feeling for the listener to be of an open system, where the actual ending or further continuation of the piece beyond its actual cessation on the CD could be filled in, much as one fills in meaning when reading between the lines of a text.

I recorded the basic material using analog synthesizer, mixing board, contact microphones, short wave radio and electromagnetic coils. The recording was made with microphones placed in front of the loudspeakers and in the room directly behind where I was sitting, thus lending a sense of acoustics to the sounds I generated and recording my movement as I made these sounds. These recordings were then edited and used to compose with on the computer.

Jason Kahn
Zürich
December

Audio CD, 6 panels digipak
30 minutes+
Release date: Jan 2011
12 Euros + shipping

11XX Goh Lee Kwang:::: The Lost Testimony of Rashomon

Choreographed by Yukio Waguri(JP) & Lee Swee Keong (MY)
Original composition & sound by Goh Lee Kwang (MY).

Audio CD, 6 panels digipak
50 minutes+
Release date: Jan 2011
12 Euros + shipping

Visit our webpage for more releases and information
http://www.herbalinternational.tk/
Inquiries from shops & distributors welcome.
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth