Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Instant Gratification/Success or Slow Release?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Poll
Yes 1 20.00%
No 1 20.00%
Maybe 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.17.2008, 07:47 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Imagine the world of music if it was ever so accepting of musicians getting involved into any sort of sound wizardy/malarkey, with top ten charts filled with any sort of strange noises and the press encouraging extreme-sounding music like there was no future.

The man would be knocking on your door at the very first signs of you playing an instrument to persuade you to sign million buck contracts, virgins would be offered to you on an altar decorated by pure decadence, and the finest drugs were produced by your own personal butler right in front of your eyes. On a tray made of gold.

All this while the celebrity system around you retained the same type of ultra-cynical approach that it has these days, which would mean that you'd be constantly harassed by the media, with reports/uploads of videos involving you engaged in depraved sex acts and end of the world antics appearing on anything from tv listings magazines to the more local press.

Would you still bend for the man at the first sign of an interest in your services or would you hold back and grow artistically in a more dignified way?

Poll.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
well..
to be honest i probably would go for the instant gratification and just deal with the press in a clever or calculated manner. actually i probably wouldn't speak with them at all.
Old 06.17.2008, 08:00 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Kate Moss hardly ever speaks to the press and she still went through hell with all the harassment from them. You could say that she re-emerged, but how do we know that we have the certainty that that's a likely scenario for us? It could go horribly wrong, couldn't it? The question implies that you are prepared to put up with that sort of lifestyle, 'cause that's what it becomes.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:11 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i was never a fame lover. not a money lover either, but i prefer money over fame, zillion times.
i probably have no right to vote, because i m still a baby. i still act or dream about art and me on a personal level: fulfillement, expression, improvement. i need the opinion of others, because i cant tell myself if smth i do is nice. so, if i was more "ready", i would enter the dilemma of taking the offer, in order to take the money and use them to improve myself and make life more easy, safe and beautiful. for now, i cant enter this dilemma.

what about you?

It's a tough one. Part of me probably wouldn't mind certain aspects of that sort of lifestyle at all, even more so if I had the chance to become wealthy enough through a different way of making records from today's norm. The other part tells me that I would have to go through too much stress that'd affect my ability to remain happily creative, therefore it's a maybe.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I've been toiling in relative obscurity for such a long time now that I really can only vote for slow release.
My wildest dreams of success involve having a decent-sized cult following that stays interested and supportive though; enough to sustain a modest lifestyle without a regular day job. Being super-famous and not being able to go to the grocery store without being followed by people with cameras is thoroughly unappealing.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:23 AM   #6
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
i dont see how this would work
if everyone is able to make music
then why would people be giving you millions of bucks to make it?
Old 06.17.2008, 08:27 AM   #7
sarramkrop

What has that got to do with the question? Are you stupid?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:30 AM   #8
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
i believe it was the introduction to your question
Old 06.17.2008, 08:34 AM   #9
sarramkrop

Imagine the world of music if it was ever so accepting of musicians getting involved into any sort of sound wizardy/malarkey, with top ten charts filled with any sort of strange noises and the press encouraging extreme-sounding music like there was no future.

That wouldn't mean there would be only quirky music around, just a general atmosphere where strange noises would have a sure chance of success. Also, where did I say that everyone on the planet would be making music?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:37 AM   #10
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

charts filled with any sort of strange noises and the press encouraging extreme-sounding music like there was no future.

when i read that, i imagine that lots of people would be making music
and a lot more bands would be getting played, as any sort of strange noise is being encouraged

i just dont think the music scene would be like it is now if that were the case
Old 06.17.2008, 08:39 AM   #11
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
charts filled with any sort of strange noises and the press encouraging extreme-sounding music like there was no future.

when i read that, i imagine that lots of people would be making music
and a lot more bands would be getting played, as any sort of strange noise is being encouraged

i just dont think the music scene would be like it is now if that were the case

Nevermind, perhaps it is a too complex a question for the slow-brained.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 08:41 AM   #12
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

i think your trying to get me worked up by acting shitty about it and 'insulting' me

its not working

are you mad because magic johnson isn't sharing his secret?
Old 06.17.2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Kate Moss hardly ever speaks to the press and she still went through hell with all the harassment from them. You could say that she re-emerged, but how do we know that we have the certainty that that's a likely scenario for us? It could go horribly wrong, couldn't it? The question implies that you are prepared to put up with that sort of lifestyle, 'cause that's what it becomes.
yeah.
i don't know, i think i could have a bit of fun with it though but i'm sure it would get old. it comes with the territory.
Old 06.17.2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I've been toiling in relative obscurity for such a long time now that I really can only vote for slow release.
My wildest dreams of success involve having a decent-sized cult following that stays interested and supportive though; enough to sustain a modest lifestyle without a regular day job. Being super-famous and not being able to go to the grocery store without being followed by people with cameras is thoroughly unappealing.

It's the super-famous who, in fact, waste their late-teens/ early-20s working very hard on (usually crap music) who get churned over by the press for a few years and then disappear back to obscurity with no skills, no passion for music and often a large debt from the record company advance that gave them a 5 album deal on the back of 2 moderately successful singles which they have to pay back after their 2nd album went to number 152 than sank without a trace that I feel sorry for.

At the moment, I could deal with a few years of fame, because I could always go back to other things. If I was 19 I'd give it a resolute 'hell no'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth