Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: is "he"?
Yes! 7 28.00%
AFFIRMATIVE 18 72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.07.2006, 12:44 PM   #41
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I get what you mean. That's a hallmark trait of most of my relationships.

I haven't read the Bockris book. I think we're having a deja vu too.

This one is very good though.
It's (co?)written by aide & friend, Pat Hackett, who also assisted with the compiling & publishing of the posthumous Diaries.

newer cover

This next one is indispensably entertaining:

Most attribute co-authorship to Pat Hackett who transcribed and edited the majority of the book.

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 12:49 PM   #42
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I've read all of them but Popism is my favourite of the three because you really enter Andy's mind at his peak while he was creating those magnificient paintings.And what can you say of the humour in it?It's so innocent and child-like to the point of being brutal.Atari is no robot.Actually he is a robot........with a heart.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 12:51 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Velvet Underground were anarchists...but anarchists with heart.

I read that somewhere.
Old 06.07.2006, 12:55 PM   #44
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
They certainly dismantled notions and potions that were counterproductive not just for anglo/american music but for music in general.I stand by this statement like my life depends on it.Oh,and should we also throw in that Sterling Morrison's praises are not sang too often?

Old 06.07.2006, 12:57 PM   #45
porkmarras
invito al cielo

This man,after all,rightly pointed out that the archetypical american song is/was 'Louie Louie'.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:01 PM   #46
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i like it when the conversation turns to art-world hagiographies. please continue.

Agreed!!!
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 01:05 PM   #47
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Let's discuss more about the above post porkmarras:

What i liked about that Sterling Morrison's statement is that quite certainly it is true in that the song in question expresses an energy and optimism that was drawing life from the post-war economical growth in the U.S.A..It really is the sound of the working classes in America enjoying the little crumbs of emancipation that they were allowed to have at that given time.Atari is being an inspiration today.Let's give him that.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:09 PM   #48
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Another thing that i adore about Sterling Morrison is his mastering of his own language and the plain and simple intelligence that went through his musical brain and came came out of his guitar.With a heart.A BIG heart.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:16 PM   #49
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
This man,after all,rightly pointed out that the archetypical american song is/was 'Louie Louie'.

But what the hell does it mean?
Old 06.07.2006, 01:18 PM   #50
porkmarras
invito al cielo

And don't get me started about Maureen Tucker.And Sonic Youth.And The Stooges.And a million other bands.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:18 PM   #51
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
But what the hell does it mean?

What i liked about that Sterling Morrison's statement is that quite certainly it is true in that the song in question expresses an energy and optimism that was drawing life from the post-war economical growth in the U.S.A..It really is the sound of the working classes in America enjoying the little crumbs of emancipation that they were allowed to have at that given time.Atari is being an inspiration today.Let's give him that.

I do my maths work.You do yours.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:23 PM   #52
atari 2600
invito al cielo

not to incite too much jealousy haha, but I got to see Sterling Morrision perform at one of his very last shows before he died. He was on tour with Moe Tucker's band & they played the 40 Watt in Athens. I wish I could have spoken to him or shook his hand. Hell, I was hanging out with Kerry for Lord's sake. For the encore they did "Hey Bo Diddley" with Moe's teenage son, Richard, playing the beats. He's now in Athens band,
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134 57324 Mother Jackson, & is the vocalist. Anyway, during that song, Sterling went off & played some velvety sonic.
Old 06.07.2006, 01:27 PM   #53
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I read of that gig somewhere.I MUST find the link i've managed to find on the internet of a rehearsal tape of Sterling playing the guitar.I cried like you don't cry at funerals when i've heard it.I have lost that invaluable link but i have the music converted to wav file somewhere,on some cd r.

Old 06.07.2006, 01:28 PM   #54
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Dear Cecil:

My friend attended your typical inner-city sleaze high school in the late 60s. I attended your average insulated isolated sterile high school in the suburbs. Despite these similarities we learned two different versions of the lyrics to "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen, inasmuch the words are unintelligible. Can you, dear Cecil, separate our virginal teenage sexual fantasies from the "real" and "official" lyrics? --Barbara K., Robin D., Chicago

Cecil replies:

Funny you should bring this up, girls. It just so happens that I attended a seance last Sunday and had the opportunity to discuss this very topic with some of my friends from the afterlife.

Bob Denver, AKA Maynard G. Krebs of TV's Dobie Gillis--who, as I'm sure you'll recall, died tragically when a radio fell into his bathtub--said that one of the lines of the songs is, "I @#%!! a girl endlessly."

Jerry Mathers of Leave it to Beaver, who was blown apart in Vietnam (some people think he grew up to be Alice Cooper, but that's just one of those silly myths), opined that another line is, "I shoot a wad into her hair."

Paul McCartney recalled that he always used to sing, "Tell her I'll never lay her again."

It pained me to shatter their illusions--as it pains me, believe me, to shatter your yours--but the "real" lyrics to "Louie Louie" are about as racy as a Neil Simon script, and almost as dumb. What's more, we have the assurance of the man who wrote the song, one Richard Berry, that the Kingsmen did not spice it up in the studio.

The song was about seven years old when the Kingsmen recorded their version in 1963, and the fantastic legend that grew up in its wake--a legend that even an FCC investigation couldn't kill--seems to have sprung solely from their extraordinary lack of elocution.

Berry, who spoke on the subject a while back to a Los Angeles interviewer named Bill Reed, explains the song as the lament of a seafaring man, spoken to a sympathetic bartender named Louie. Here, without further ado, are the "official" published lyrics:

"Louie Louie, me gotta go. Louie Louie, me gotta go. A fine little girl, she wait for me. Me catch the ship across the sea. I sailed the ship all alone. I never think I'll make it home. Louie Louie, me gotta go . Three nights and days we sailed the sea. Me think of girl constantly. On the ship, I dream she there. I smell the rose in her hair. Louie Louie, me gotta go. Me see Jamaican moon above. It won't be long me see me love. Me take her in my arms and then I tell her I never leave again. Louie Louie, me gotta go." (By Richard Berry. Copyright 1957-1963 by Limax Music Inc.)

Note the subtle shifts of temporal perspective, and the refreshingly arbitrary substitution of the objective case for the nominative and possessive in pronominal situations. As a rock lyricist, Mr. Berry was clearly far ahead of his time.THIS JUST IN: JERRY MATHERS DID NOT DIE IN VIETNAM!
Dear Cecil:
He didn’t even go – he was in the Air National Guard. I would have thought the Straight Dope would get that right. –Courtney_Henderson
Cecil replies:
No shite, Sherlock. You want a ticket to my new seminar, "Introduction to the Joke"?
--CECIL ADAMS

Personally,I just find the song revolting, Americana or not. I understand the quote, and it makes sence, but I still don't "get it" (the song); Sterling Morrisons sentiment I can appreciate, and yours as well.
Old 06.07.2006, 01:33 PM   #55
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Amariath that is undoubtedly true.It is also true,though,that you can dislike a song or a movie etc etc,and still find its factual given value a reality to be reckoned with.

Old 06.07.2006, 03:14 PM   #56
elix it
bad moon rising

elix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asses
Not necessarily a robot, but more of a soulless autonomatonomonapoton.
elix it is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 03:50 PM   #57
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
this thread reminds me of:

"what if mr. crabs is...
...a robot"

(an episode with a rodney bigenheimer appearance, no less)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 05:14 PM   #58
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going with yes. This isn't a bad thing. Robots be mad amounts of cool, yo.
Old 06.08.2006, 12:11 AM   #59
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Old 06.08.2006, 01:45 AM   #60
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
Cool picture its even got a willy

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth