Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page It's been 53 years since the band broke up, so can I finally say
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2024, 08:23 AM   #21
hippietears
little trouble girl

hippietears has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolove
that Rather Ripped is one of their best albums without getting my head ripped off?

I really like rather ripped! I always recommend it to people who are first getting into the band, because it's more mellow and chilled out than the rest. Even though I do LOVE crazy noises and harmonics, I think Rather Ripped can be a nice, calmer record to go back to. I also just think it proves that Sonic Youth doesn't JUST make guitar noises and weird songs.

hippietears is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2024, 01:53 AM   #22
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
So Rather Ripped = the training wheels record. Makes sense that it came out around the same time they started making records for Starbucks.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2024, 08:46 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietears
I really like rather ripped! I always recommend it to people who are first getting into the band, because it's more mellow and chilled out than the rest. Even though I do LOVE crazy noises and harmonics, I think Rather Ripped can be a nice, calmer record to go back to. I also just think it proves that Sonic Youth doesn't JUST make guitar noises and weird songs.
that's the problem for some of us who learned to love this band by listening to evol or bad moon rising or confusion is sex (althought the first time i heard them was on the radio, i was new here, and kim singing drunken butterfly got me like a bullet through the chest. but then i got evol as a cd. evol! it was from another planet. but i digress)

my problem with it i guess is that yes, they can play this or that but this was never what i listened for with this band. not that they don't have a right to do whatever they wanted. they do. but i was rather disappointed with the result

to me it feels like the reverse of the year punk broke. that movie title meant the year punk broke into the mainstream (1991). but rather ripped to me sounds and feels like the year the mainstream broke into sonic youth

you could maybe say the same about the velvet undergrounds loaded i guess ("loaded with hits"). but i fucking love loaded. except that annoying lonesome cowboy bill shit. ugh! more earworm than anything. but i love that album anyway. but rather ripped i'm sorry i i don't. of course anybody else who wants to definitely can and should. im not the musical police

but yeah haha, i was (horribly) disappointed by it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2024, 11:16 AM   #24
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
#2 (different)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietears
you know im going to have to take it back and disagree with the premise of your comment rather (lol) than reply to it in its own terms as i did before. but don't completely erase that please, this is just a different response, see if it makes sense to your ears

the reason i disagree with the premise is because there is plenty of "nice" and "calm" in other sonic youth and syg records

but if i have to put my finger on it, this is different because rather ripped sounds to me like a record that is "about" thurston singing, you know what i mean "about" singing? like the music is not a thing in itself but a platform for him singing. and that's the departure

the noise of yore helped make tracks be about the total sound, not the singing or the "tune", but even without noise sonic youth always felt like the totality of the music was an end in itself. the vocals were there (or not), sometimes you could locate a tune and sometime not, but they were not central. melodies would melt into improvisation and return later. when vocals shone they were side by side with other stuff going in at the same time (eg see drunken butterfly which i mentioned earlier). everybody got their chance to shine. sonic youth was always the greatest as an ensemble where the parts have a glorious interplay, like a jazz band. i mean, for example, lee was never "second" to thurston, their guitars went head to head. and their live shows were for that reason... transcendental, really, no exaggeration. a beautiful chaos

whereas this record is more about um... thurston front and center, singing. which is like most "normal" pop records do, they are about the singer singing and the musicians are "the band". this is like his solo records i suppose. and it's not a total work of all the parts, to my ears anyway

this is why loaded works, btw, to connect back to that parallel from the earlier post, because you could put lou reed at the center of almost any band and be great (except not with rick wakeman and steve howe lol, great as they were in yes the chemistry with lou was not there, it's almost comedic that someone would put them together)

and yes vu without john cale and other deserting/circulating members is not vu proper original, but lou reed is lou reed and he could sing well but more than that had an amazing delivery, and was the poet of new york, and i looooove lou reed solo albums regardless of/ as standalones

for my ears, thurstons greatest talent is no doubt the guitar rather (lol) than voice or lyrics. his best singing is done with the hands. in that department, few people can match him. well, lee can. the two guitars together... i have no words

-

eta: oh look at t's new pal... https://www.instagram.com/reel/C46p3zuti1E/

there are videos of that and a previous show on the interwebs...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2024, 09:59 AM   #25
hippietears
little trouble girl

hippietears has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
#2 (different)

the reason i disagree with the premise is because there is plenty of "nice" and "calm" in other sonic youth and syg records

but if i have to put my finger on it, this is different because rather ripped sounds to me like a record that is "about" thurston singing, you know what i mean "about" singing? like the music is not a thing in itself but a platform for him singing. and that's the departure

I completely understand what yr saying and where yr coming from, and I agree there are other "nice" SY tracks on other records! But yeah, now that you pointed it out I do notices it's very much about Thurston singing. I don't really like Thurston's vocals on RR, I do really like Kim's tho.

hippietears is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth