Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yr Writing of New Music in Diverse Styles..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.29.2008, 04:45 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck, writing new music when you play several different styles is like trying to write a poem in several different languages, with opposing syntax and grammar as well as feel and vibe...

When I was just a metalish/chaos punk guitar player it was easy, I came up with dreary ambient melodies and heavy feedback oriented tunes like once a week at least, and three chord furious punk tunes daily... further these translated into wonderful melodies on the acoustic when you slowed em down.

But then I evolved as a musician.

First it was the blues and rock and roll. I learned how to play chuck berry solos and play folk and blues tunes, joined a porch blues band, and then I didn't write very much heavier stuff, just blues tunes!

Then it progressed into a jazz fusion thing, which met Jerry Garcia and jam bandism which destroyed the heaviness. There was a bit coming back in the interludes of the blues days, but once I went jam band there was no room for heavy stuff. See I was already way to into flange and delay to begin with, as well as lead driven fills, and so jammin was more my style.

Alas, finally I succombed as a Rastaman to the sweet reggae music. Trutfully I just could not play reggae, was not able to catch the rhythm of it, until one day, like magic it was there. Now...

I write reggae tunes, good ones, original rhythms not just workings of standards.. and yet, I have written maybe one heavy tune in six months, and that was only because it came out of me on acid the other night, and the three previous heavy tunes I wrote before it resulted from mushrooms trips...

I think my musical mind is confused by the plurality of its linguistic capabilities..

..."lost in the

"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 05:12 PM   #2
eduveloper
bad moon rising

eduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asses
every musical style can be heavy
of course you evolved, and everytime something interesting popped up it seems. Sometimes you go lightfooted, sometimes chewing bricks.
What is it you're looking for when writing heavy things?
eduveloper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 05:13 PM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Beautiful. I wept tears of bitter-sweet joy as I read this.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 05:23 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduveloper
every musical style can be heavy
of course you evolved, and everytime something interesting popped up it seems. Sometimes you go lightfooted, sometimes chewing bricks.
What is it you're looking for when writing heavy things?

something new more often than twice a year

Old 11.29.2008, 05:50 PM   #5
eduveloper
bad moon rising

eduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asseseduveloper kicks all y'all's asses
nothing is new
new is confusion
eduveloper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 08:35 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduveloper
nothing is new
new is confusion

only in a reactionary sense. for music, new is the breath of spontaneity.

Old 11.29.2008, 08:41 PM   #7
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
well come on the son
let us hear these tunes that you speak of so highly
Old 11.29.2008, 09:21 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
well come on the son
let us hear these tunes that you speak of so highly

recording is too much work, I gave that up years ago.

Old 11.29.2008, 09:22 PM   #9
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. Today I set up all my stuff so that I could try and make a new song, but I couldn't decide what I wanted, so all I did was come up with a shitty drum loop.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
My compositions usually fall into three categories: rock, with my guitar, sometimes accompanied by saxophone, inspired by Ed Kuepper, Laughing Clowns and others; metal, inspired by Mayhem, Iron Maiden, Bathory; and ambient - this is done either with my keyboard or my guitar in my own tunings. The ambient is the most surprising given that I listen to hardly any ambient music, and it isn't a conscious effort to make something ambient.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2008, 10:27 PM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Just take out yr guitar and play. Whatever you play that you like, do that. Don't try, just do.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2008, 12:50 AM   #12
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed with spectraljulian. You speak of spontaneity,well don't speak, do it, live it, play it. Whatever you're feeling, if you are gifted enough as a musician, you'll be able to translate that into sound(s). Don't think slow or heavy, don't think at all, just feel.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth