Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page How You Listen
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Latham
empty page

Latham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's assesLatham kicks all y'all's asses
How do you listen to music, specifically Sonic Youth? SY is one of the few bands that make me feel as if Im not really "appreciating" the music if there are any distractions (Radiohead and The National being the other two, off the top of my head.) Anyway, this means that most of the time I listen to SY I lie in bed and go all the way through an album. Is this silly?
Latham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 06:11 PM   #2
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I typically listen to music with speakers or headphones and then the vibrations through the air travel all the way to my ears. I more often than not listen to music passively than actively, which is why music like Autechre kicks ass for when you're not doing much of anything important.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 07:53 PM   #3
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
i treat sy (and maybe others, but i am pretty sy-centric) as i would classic literature. by that i mean that i let my imagination run rampant in order to interpret what they mean. just listened to "the eternal" twice and for most of it i was lying down letting my imagination develop images or theories that explain the lyrics and music...
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:22 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've found that the best way to listen to music, for me, is while driving. When I sit and listen while lying down, I might feel asleep.. or might feel the urge to skip a track that sucks... my car's cd player is on the floor of my passenger seat because it won't fit in the part of the car it should fit into so I have to reach all the way down and over while driving to skip a track, which I don't do. Also, I drive an hour a day, most days, and most of it is country roads, so it's quiet and nice and there isn't a lot of distractions and ... right now, with the summer breeze ... it's great. Yeah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:40 PM   #5
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
with the dvds/home theather's audio system. 5 speakers well-located in my room and it feels like the bands playing there.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've found that the best way to listen to music, for me, is while driving.

same.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The best way for me to listen to Sonic Youth is when they are standing right in front of me playing. However, since that doesn't happen all of the time, I also listen to recordings in any number of devices and at every possible location. Waiting for perfection gets to be a tad dull.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Most of the new albums I buy are listened to for the first time when I'm in bed, so usually I fall asleep before an album ends.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 09:58 PM   #9
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've found that the best way to listen to music, for me, is while driving. When I sit and listen while lying down, I might feel asleep.. or might feel the urge to skip a track that sucks... my car's cd player is on the floor of my passenger seat because it won't fit in the part of the car it should fit into so I have to reach all the way down and over while driving to skip a track, which I don't do. Also, I drive an hour a day, most days, and most of it is country roads, so it's quiet and nice and there isn't a lot of distractions and ... right now, with the summer breeze ... it's great. Yeah.

Yes listening to music while driving is my favorite! I hate driving with friends cause A. They're constantly switching songs and shit and B. They suck.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 10:53 PM   #10
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
rockin' out stuff (dirty, goo, etc.) - hangin' out, walking somewhere, in the morning when i'm getting ready for the day and need a swift kick in the bzooty.

more experimental stuff - in bed, quiet time, relaxing.

though anything goes in the car.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 11:25 PM   #11
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
How do you pronounce bzooty.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2009, 11:46 PM   #12
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
buh-zooty?
It's from a Beck song, Hollywood Freaks.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 12:41 AM   #13
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Also, I drive an hour a day, most days, and most of it is country roads, so it's quiet and nice and there isn't a lot of distractions and ... right now, with the summer breeze ... it's great. Yeah.

Wow, that sounds awesome. The biggest reason I go to work is just to listen to music while driving there.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 01:01 AM   #14
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I listen to an album I listen to it on my discman, with my speakers either sitting up or lying down. I don't even use random to listen to music anymore. I use to think it was cool to put a CD on random just to see the order the songs would be played in. Anyways, after I've heard the CD for the first time on my discman, then I can put it in my DVD player and do other things while its playing like type on the computer or read a magazine. Sometimes I like to play certain CDs lying in bed, putting it on my DVD player with the surround sound speakers and the lights in my room turned off.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 02:13 AM   #15
sarramkrop

With my ears.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 02:45 AM   #16
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
With my ears.

and my body.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2009, 02:06 PM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it depends on the album....

the first EP, dirty, goo, even parts of sonic nurse/etc...the more "rocking" stuff, i love to listen to while driving around. or just when im chillin' about having a beer w/ friends/chatting/whatever....

a thousand leaves, NYCG+F, silver sessions, the syr stuff, etc etc...i not always, but typically enjoy more listening to during my alone time. just sitting back/relaxing/soakin' in all that sonic mayhem.

yeah.

im groggy.

same.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2009, 02:20 PM   #18
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i tend to listen to sy on headphones on the bus or walking around during my lunch break. I've had no joy breaking my friends in (one thought wilco was too noisey!) so it tends to be when i'm alone. which works best for me anyway, it let's my thoughts wander, or concentrate on the parts, depending on my mood.
sometimes when i'm cooking, which irritates my wife. although she does sing along to Murray Street these days
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2009, 02:45 PM   #19
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I usually listen with big headphones or just through any speaker possible aha. I find that most music bores me when it's my main focus so I'm usually just sitting online or playing videogames and such when I listen to music.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2009, 03:02 PM   #20
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
buh-zooty?
It's from a Beck song, Hollywood Freaks.

automatic bzooty
zero to tutti fruity
sex in the halls
niagra falls local shopping malls
receive anonymous calls
hot like a cheetah
neon mamacity
eat at tacoria
pop lockin beats from korea
lookin like jailbait
sellin lots of real estate
lookin like a hot date