Dinosaur Jr "Show Me The Way" 3 8.11%
Flaming Lips "After The Gold Rush" 1 2.70%
The Smashing Pumpkins "Over The Rainbow" (from the Wizard of Oz) 16 43.24%
Are you kidding? these are nothing compared to... 20 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.10.2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
come to think of it, let's do a thread where we mention the most annoying vocals on a flaming lips song.

yeah, i thought of the wonderwall cover but he's being sarcastic with it, and it's not live, it's on some radio acoustic session. you can hear them mutter at the end of the take how they hate that "bollocks" band oasis or something like that. thom yorke also sings on a cover of wish you were here done by sparklehorse, but you can barely hear his voice. how can you find thom yorke annoying, i will never know.

someone told me yesterday that that piece of shit band we are scientists covered a sigur rós song, bet that's a winner, all i could think when they told me that was "muse doing lightning bolt", same hilarity ensuing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 09:22 AM   #22
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Once upon a time, in the mid-60s, an English band called the Primitives linked to the mod scene went to perform in Italy, singing the local language.
Their cover of Reach Out, I'll Be There (Holland/Dozier/Holland), translated to Italian became Gira, Gira, it was sung with a deep voice & an incredible, terrible accent that even failed to make sense to my sole Italian-speaking friend.
The whole album, titled Maladjusted (with an ugly cover) can be found via Sanctuary Records (the same who reissue the Fall).
Their cover of the Strangeloves' Cara-Lin ain't as bad, but ain't great at all.

And Meat Puppets : Everybody's Talking.
Sure noone could beat Kirkwood : he purposefuly sang bad bad bad. So bad it's the only track I can recall from the first album.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 11:11 AM   #23
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic youth's version of Moist vagina wins hands down. God that is a terrible cover.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 11:56 AM   #24
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Covers suck. I really really dislike anything by Me First & The Gimme Gimmes and all they do is covers.
Old 05.10.2006, 12:23 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
j mascis is GOD
Old 05.10.2006, 12:53 PM   #26
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Well, the Detroit Cobras are a cover band & they're really good.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 03:25 PM   #27
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
didn't vote, since I can't figure one that's that bad.

Then again, the greatest cover ever has got to be Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help From my Friends
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 03:40 PM   #28
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
smoe of you didn't get it.

the poll was about a cover whose vocals were annoying or bad or whatever; i didn't imply that the bands were bad, or that the songs were bad or which one do you hate the most. i was talking about which of these songs feature vocals that border on the unbearable.

for the record, i like all three mentioned, but they really make me laugh on how bad and off key the singing is.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 03:45 PM   #29
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

for the record, i like all three mentioned, but they really make me laugh on how bad and off key the singing is.

Oh, then for sure that'd be sy's version of "Victoria" on their Fall Peel session.
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 04:04 PM   #30
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
most annyong vocals...

hmm that makes it tougher

there's no way i can do justice in just a post, but i'll try to name as many as I can (so take this with a grain of salt)

really bad ones
D'yer Maker, Sweet Child O' Mine - Sheryl Crow
American Pie - Madonna
whateva P-Diddy or whatever he's calling himself now is up to...
Imagine, No Quarter - Tool
Imagine, Stairway to Heaven, Crimson & Clover - Dolly Parton
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit
Take a Chance on Me - Metallica
Another Brick in the Wall, Word Up - Korn
Dock of the Bay, When a Man Loves a Woman - Michael Bolton
Harlem Shuffle - The Rolling Stones
Dancing in the Street - Mick Jagger & David Bowie
Let's Spend the Night Together, Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar), God Only Knows (a few others are borderline) - David Bowie
911 is a Joke - Duran Duran
Can't Help Falling in Love, Light My Fire, Every Breath You Take - UB40 (their Red Red Wine is okay & I Got You Babe with Chrissie Hynde isn't horrible , but it's not good either)
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
Sexual Healing - Soul Asylum
The End, My Best Friend's Girl - Nirvana
Ticket to Ride - Sonic Youth (like Nirvana's cover of the Doors' The end it's meant to be a joke, but still it's pretty horrible & not nearly funny enough either)
Paranoid - Megadeth
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals
novelties (golden throats)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
Proud Mary - Leonard Nimoy

really good ones
All Along the Watchtower, Sunshine of Your Love, Hey Joe, Wild Thing, The Star-Spangled Banner - Jimi Hendrix Experience
My Favorite Things, Lush Life, Like Someone in Love - John Coltrane
Twist & Shout, Dizzie Miss Lizzie, Long Tall Sally, Roll Over Beethoven, Act Naturally, Everybody's Trying to be my Baby, A Taste of Honey, Besame Mucho, Blue Seude Shoes, Money, Please Mr. Postman, Kansas City Hey Hey - The Beatles
Stand by Me, Be-Bop-A-Lula, Ain't that a Shame, Sweet Little Sixteen, You Can't Catch Me - John Lennon
The Ballad of Hollis Brown, House of the Rising Sun, Fixin' to Die - Bob Dylan
In My Time of Dying, Bring it on Home, When the Levee Breaks, Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin
Black Diamond - The Replacements
Oops I Did it Again - Richard Thompson (much better than the original anyway)
whatever Brad Mehldau touches
Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley
Respect - Aretha Franklin
Cocaine - Eric Clapton (I Shot the Sheriff is just okay)
I Know There's An Answer, Into the Groove(y), Ca Plane Pour Moi, Within You Without You, Beat on the Brat, I don't wanna Walk Around WIth You, Simpsons Theme, Nic Fit, Superstar - Sonic Youth
Interstellar Overdrive (instrumental though), O Death, Wasted, I Love Her All the Time, Tusk - Camper Van Beethoven
The Man Who Sold the World, Where Did you Sleep Last night, Oh me, Plateau, Son of a Gun, Turnaround, Love Buzz - Nirvana (sunbeam & molly's are not bad, but not good either, etc.)
I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Susie Q, I Put a Spell on You - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Gloria, My Generation - Patti Smith Group
Who do you Love, Gloria, Back Door Man, Little Red Rooster, Crawling King Snake, Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) - The Doors
Who do you Love - George Thorogood & the Delaware Destroyers
The Raincoats - Lola
Some Velvet Morning - Roland S. Howard with Lydia Lunch
Love in Vain, Little Queenie, Not Fade Away, Little Red Rooster /added/
Carol, The Last Time, Time is on My Side, Under the Boardwalk, You Gotta Move - The Rolling Stones
Dancing in the Street, Pretty Woman - Van Halen
Dancing in the Street, Louie Louie - The Kinks
Dancing in the Street, Hard to Handle - The Grateful Dead
Hard to Handle, Custard Pie (with Jimmy Page) - The Black Crowes
Heartbreak Hotel - John Cale
Feelin' Alright, With a Little Help From My Friends, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker
Voodoo Chile - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Battery - Megadeth
Victoria - The Fall
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Head Like A Hole - Devo
Crazy, Femme Fatale, Pale Blue Eyes - R.E.M.
Turn the Page - Metallica (to be fair, this one is good...Tuesday's Gone is not as good, but not bad)
Ring of Fire, Long Black Veil, Hurt - Johnny Cash
Those Were The Days, If I were a Carpenter (with Joe Nichols) - Dolly Parton
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Dwight Yoakam
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Books of Moses, It's Alright with Me - Tom Waits
Sea of Love, Wild is the Wind, I Found a Reason, Paths of Victory - Cat Power
Sea of Love - The Honeydrippers
Rocket Man - Kate Bush
Hide Your Love Away, Masters of War - Pearl Jam
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 04:14 PM   #31
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Nice list of good ones atari. Didn't that band Scissor Sisters do Comfortably Numb on SNL? That was horrible.
Old 05.10.2006, 04:38 PM   #32
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I hate Smashing Pumpkins version of "Landslide" so much...
Ugh, the vocals are painful.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 04:55 PM   #33
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to add The Stones version of "Come On" (so great) to atari's list of really good covers by them. Thank you for yr time.
Old 05.10.2006, 05:28 PM   #34
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I'd like to add The Stones version of "Come On" (so great) to atari's list of really good covers by them. Thank you for yr time.
I did remember Little Queenie, but I forgot
Carol
which was originally by Chuck Berry too. there's blistering versions of those on the live Get Yer Ya-Yas Out.

they also do a great The Last Time, Time is on My Side, & Under the Boardwalk (it's all on the fantastic early one called 12 X 5)

You Gotta Move on Sticky Fingers is a great cover too
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 05:37 PM   #35
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Are you kidding? these are nothing compared to...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYEnk3bYqNE&search=pavement

I mean, what the fuck? He sings like he's having a shit. Stoned.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 06:21 PM   #36
krastian
invito al cielo

Atari, are you sure that "The Last Time" was a cover? My credits say "Jagger, Richards" and it sounds like a Stones song.
Old 05.10.2006, 06:24 PM   #37
Richard Pryor on Fire
100%

Richard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's assesRichard Pryor on Fire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Flaming Lips - Unmade Bed

Makes me cringe when I think of how bad wayne Coyne sounded on it.....at least I can give them a c+ for choosing a SY song.

I'd like to hear that, They did a version of a Kylie Manouge(sp?) song that I really liked.

http://pissingaway.blogspot.com/
Richard Pryor on Fire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 06:40 PM   #38
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
I'd like to hear that, They did a version of a Kylie Manouge(sp?) song that I really liked.

There is a link for it on this board....try doing a search. All in all, it was a pretty poor version. Hardly any gitter on it.
Old 05.10.2006, 06:45 PM   #39
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You know how people (usually Nirvana fans) get really, really angry if anyone dares to slag them off? I just had one of those moments at the merest idea, the very slightest hint of someone (Atari) slagging off Dolly. Unfortunately, he's right, they are awful covers. But still. If I catch anyone slagging of Dolly, I'll have your hands off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 08:42 PM   #40
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, "Landslide" by the Smashing Pumpkins was pretty bad. I don't think I've heard "Over the Rainbow." I'll imagine it's just as bad, but I still love the pumpkins.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth