Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Listen up dorks: Harry Potter 7 discussion thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2007, 09:10 PM   #1
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
SPOILERS

Kreacher's Tale was a great chapter, as was King's Cross and the chapter preceding it.

HOWEVER

The Epilogue was unbelievably shitty.
And the final list of characters who died was disappointing.
I also think I missed Hogwarts a little, though it wouldn't have been the same without Dumbledore anyway.

Harry should have died. As expected, Snape also died but not in the sort of way I had hoped. I also wish he had been more of a presence in the book, rather than coming in for the last few chapters and that's about it. Remus and Tonks died, but who really cares? Dobby died and that was sad, I'll give you that much. Fred died and it wasn't sad because they didn't even talk about how George felt about LOSING HIS TWIN BROTHER FOR GODSSAKE PEOPLE. I was ready for a big tearjerker of a book, and I didn't even sniffle.

When I read the Harry Potter books, I could not give a shit about the characters' romantic relationships with one another. And I hate reading about it. Back in the day, all the books really contained was a hell of a lot of gay subtext. And then all of a sudden Harry starts making out with girls, and Remus marries Tonks. WTF PEOPLE. I miss my old Harry Potter, the boy who lived in a closet (for godssake people, can it get any more obvious?), and all of the man-on-man hugging, and whatnot.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Epilogue was hardly even an epilogue. It was like "Look at them for 10 pages 19 years in the future." Big fucking deal. I wanted to know everything that happened afterwards dammit!

I pretty much agree with all you said. I wish Harry died. And I hated all the romance.

I really hope she doesn't write any more Harry Potter related material.
Old 07.30.2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
JK said she was going to write a Harry Encyclopedia to add additional info about other characters at the end and more info about characters throughout the series, etc etc.

I was really really bummed that Lupin died
Old 07.30.2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, a HP Encyclopedia wouldn't be sooo bad I suppose.

Eh, Lupin was sad, but I didn't really care. It was mentioned very quickly and I was like..."whatevs" and kept reading.
Old 07.30.2007, 09:27 PM   #5
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior

The Epilogue was unbelievably shitty.
Didn't read the book, but the last bit + epilogue. SOOOO lame.

And not that I care about the books, but killing Harry would be WAY too easy. However, it should have been done better, instead of just a fucking deflected spell and Voldemort's down for good. LAME.

*lookit me go, like I read the book*

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Hahaha, yeah. Expelliarmus?! What the fuck. Like that's supposed to kill Voldemort.
Old 07.30.2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
The whole Elder Wand thing screwed me up, like you have to solve a word puzzle to figure out whose it actually was.

Also, Harry's use of the Unforgivable curses goes unchecked almost.
Old 07.30.2007, 09:49 PM   #8
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Oh man I know, the Elder Wand, like what the hell was up with that? Hahaha...I mean the twisted logic involved was completely hilarious.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.30.2007, 09:54 PM   #9
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Oh, a HP Encyclopedia wouldn't be sooo bad I suppose.

Eh, Lupin was sad, but I didn't really care. It was mentioned very quickly and I was like..."whatevs" and kept reading.

I hear ya. After Dumbledore dying in Book 6, I was expecting this book to really go all out on the sadness factor, because Dumbledore's death made me cry like a baby. But the thing is, any character could die and it wouldn't be a big deal, at least not unless she wrote it as if it were one. When Dumbledore died, she wrote it as if the world was ending. With most of the deaths in Book 7, it was like, "Well, so-and-so didn't make it....but enough of that, who's going to see the new Transformers movie?"

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.30.2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
while i don't necesary think harry potter fanery sucks (although they are pretty dorky), i, for the world, don't like ak rollins or whatever she's called at all...something about her presence.

boredom brings hate to be shared.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
I hear ya. After Dumbledore dying in Book 6, I was expecting this book to really go all out on the sadness factor, because Dumbledore's death made me cry like a baby. But the thing is, any character could die and it wouldn't be a big deal, at least not unless she wrote it as if it were one. When Dumbledore died, she wrote it as if the world was ending. With most of the deaths in Book 7, it was like, "Well, so-and-so didn't make it....but enough of that, who's going to see the new Transformers movie?"

Speaking of death, I want to know more about the motherfucking veil in the Ministry that Sirius fell through!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know more now!!!
Old 07.30.2007, 11:34 PM   #12
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Speaking of death, I want to know more about the motherfucking veil in the Ministry that Sirius fell through!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know more now!!!

No kidding! I was totally expecting him to come meandering out of it and have a story to tell or some other nonsense.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.30.2007, 11:49 PM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
No kidding! I was totally expecting him to come meandering out of it and have a story to tell or some other nonsense.

I was expecting Kreacher's tale to be something about him, and I was waiting and hoping that there would be some big Sirius story, but no dice.

I'm still mad about him dying and the screwed it up in the movie, so HAD he come back in book 7, they'd been SOL when it came time to make the movie for it.

If you're reading JK!: I want a book (or series, but one would be sufficient) about Sirius Black.
Old 07.31.2007, 02:58 AM   #14
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
The epilogue was crap. I don't think that she should have included it. Predictable too.
Old 07.31.2007, 11:47 AM   #15
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
OH MY GAWD it's all ruined.

no point in waiting for my kid to finish reading.....now I know what happens.***

y'all have fun rubbing one out without me, I'm going to go back to practicing my cruciatus techniques now.....

***DISCLAIMER: any surprises that HP7.0 brought were ruined well before I clicked on this thread, thanks to my wife's need to....well......RUIN. geekery demands that I read it, although I'm pissed off that I'm last in line to be able to read our copy.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 12:32 PM   #16
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
while i don't necesary think harry potter fanery sucks (although they are pretty dorky), i, for the world, don't like ak rollins or whatever she's called at all...something about her presence.

boredom brings hate to be shared.

I agree, I don't like the harry potter hype, not that I dislike the fans nor think they are in any shape dorky. I didn't like the big queues of people who waited to buy it first, I don't like the "you look like harry potter" jokes because I wear glasses.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 12:44 PM   #17
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
i was so into the whole book until the last fifty pages. the ending and the epiglogue sucked dick. first of all that like weird king's cross heaven thing was ridik. and what the fuck was up with the cliche showdown between harry and voldy.

i was pissed that we never found out if harry ever became and auror. also that no one really significant died, except for voldemort i guess.. i was heartbroken though when his wand broke.
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 11:47 PM   #18
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green mind
I agree, I don't like the harry potter hype, not that I dislike the fans nor think they are in any shape dorky. I didn't like the big queues of people who waited to buy it first, I don't like the "you look like harry potter" jokes because I wear glasses.

A lot of people like the books--who cares? I could think of a million worse things to do than stand around in line for a book one night out of your life. It's not about getting it first, it's about avoiding spoilers, and the only way to do that is to basically get it the day it comes out, shut yourself in your room and read all day and all night. I didn't turn on my computer or my TV until I finished it. I also asked off from work so that I could read it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by total trash
i was so into the whole book until the last fifty pages. the ending and the epiglogue sucked dick. first of all that like weird king's cross heaven thing was ridik. and what the fuck was up with the cliche showdown between harry and voldy.

First of all, whoever said the King's Cross chapter was supposed to be heaven? I thought it was a very interesting thing to do. Very indefinite and left open to interpretation. It kind of reminded me of the first time I saw someone get hypnotized. After the person came out of it, they described to me what it was like. The way the King's Cross chapter was set up sounded very similar to that person's story. Power of suggestion and all that...they were seeing these things because someone was suggesting that they existed. It's hard to explain, I just thought that chapter was kind of eerie and unexpected. I liked it a lot. Harry still should have died, but I digress...

- Sebastian Bach

Old 07.31.2007, 11:50 PM   #19
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I was expecting Harry to die, but to be honest, it really doesn't bother me at all that he is alive. I guess if I had started reading the series later on I would have wanted him to die, but I think the inner child that started reading Harry Potter in 3rd grade wanted him to live all along.
Old 07.31.2007, 11:54 PM   #20
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I was expecting Harry to die, but to be honest, it really doesn't bother me at all that he is alive. I guess if I had started reading the series later on I would have wanted him to die, but I think the inner child that started reading Harry Potter in 3rd grade wanted him to live all along.

I think I just wanted a good cry of some sort, and I didn't get it, so I'm taking it out on Harry.

- Sebastian Bach

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth