Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Listen up dorks: Harry Potter 7 discussion thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2007, 12:00 AM   #21
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I don't start any book wanting a good cry.

Freak.
Old 08.01.2007, 12:03 AM   #22
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
You guys make feel like an outsider, but whatever. I am indie
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2007, 04:28 PM   #23
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
I didn't want him to die since I started reading them in year 6. I knew when it announced he had to die with 60 pages left it wasn't going to happen. I was also pissed that they mentioned nothing of the veil, the King's Cross chapter didn't make any sense and I really wished the end lasted longer after Voldy dying. Doesn't mention anything of the character's feelings after all that death.
Unfortunately I'm a sucker for the romance crap so was miffed that there was no mention of Ginny at the end.

On the whole it was OK but for the final installment of something I've been reading since I was 11 I think it should have been better, perhaps longer.
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't see the fuss with this book/movie.

I watched the first one the other week for the first time and it was alright.
Old 08.01.2007, 06:47 PM   #25
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Neither do I Norma J. But it is a phenomenon, nonetheless.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I really don't see the fuss with this book/movie.

I watched the first one the other week for the first time and it was alright.
Watched it? The movies are pretty awful compared to the books. I only keep seeing the movies for the nerd-dom.
Old 08.01.2007, 10:20 PM   #27
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
i watched the first half of the first movie last night and thought it was hilarious. they're tiny and ron has the most absurd facial expressions. it was great. i recommend watching it if you haven't in a while
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2007, 10:55 PM   #28
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Watched it? The movies are pretty awful compared to the books. I only keep seeing the movies for the nerd-dom.

My point was the first time I chose to partake in anything Harry Potter was to watch the first movie the other week - and it was alright. It certainly didn't make me want to read any of the books though, let alone line up at absurd times to get a copy when it first hits the shelves.

People are going bonkers over this and have since it's conception and I don't understand it. People say "Read the books, read the books!", but they're definitely low on the priority list.
I also don't think it's a nerdy or dorky thing to partake in, considering 95% of society would then be nerds, therefore detracting the nerd and dork factor.

I mean, I don't mind that it's popular, I just don't get the craze. I'll see the rest of the movies sometime when my girlfriend wants to revisit them as she's a fan of ol' Harry and co.
Old 08.02.2007, 12:15 AM   #29
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

But you can't 'get the craze' by watching the movies!

I also imagine you might be too old to get into it now. I probably wouldn't give two shits about HP if I had started reading the books now.
Old 08.02.2007, 12:21 AM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Harry Potter book 6
Smoke weed everyday
Harry Potter book 6
Smoke weed everyday
Harry Potter book 6
Smoke weed everyday
Harry Potter book 6
Smoke weed everyday

www.myspace.com/whamcity

Click on "Harry Potter Parade"
Old 08.02.2007, 03:27 AM   #31
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
But you can't 'get the craze' by watching the movies!

I also imagine you might be too old to get into it now. I probably wouldn't give two shits about HP if I had started reading the books now.

Sure you can, I'm sure alot of people haven't read the books.

Anyway, I can kinda see your point.
Old 08.02.2007, 05:17 AM   #32
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
The first two movies are really, really bad. They completely fail to capture what is so great about the books. The other movies (especially the third and fifth) are well-made, but their problem is that they leave out subplots and all sorts of things that really make the books gripping.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2007, 09:31 AM   #33
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
The first two movies are really, really bad. They completely fail to capture what is so great about the books. The other movies (especially the third and fifth) are well-made, but their problem is that they leave out subplots and all sorts of things that really make the books gripping.

Yea, the other day i watched the latest movie (is that the fifth?) without reading the book, and to me it made no sense whatsoever.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2007, 09:03 AM   #34
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
The whole Elder Wand thing screwed me up, like you have to solve a word puzzle to figure out whose it actually was.

Also, Harry's use of the Unforgivable curses goes unchecked almost.

I agree. the whole wand thing was so convoluted that it seems as if she had an "OH SHIT" moment while writing the last bit.

it felt like it was just something that she came up with at the last moment as opposed to the rest of the book (of note: the last pages of the last book of stephen king's dark tower series felt the same).

you're right about the unforgivable curses too. I wondered why nobody batted an eye as he was tossing them out left and right toward the end.

I could pick apart the tiny details, but all in all it was one of my favorite books of the series.

I'm kind of sad that I don't have more waiting for me to read.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2007, 11:34 AM   #35
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
i've started reading them all again. it's nice to read the first few books and know what's going to happen to all the characters. somehow the shocker parts in the early books still give me goosebumps!
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth