Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Robin Thicke's ''Blurred Lines'' Controversy
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.14.2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I was reading the response on The Quietus to something that Aidan Moffat posted on Twitter, apparently, in regard to this song, and I've been aware of the controversy surrounding it because it's been all over the fucking place. A few things I am still not sure after reading his defense of the song is why if there are so many women backing his opinions they so often seem to stay silent and let the guys do all the big talk to the media. I was surprised to see a relatively large crowd of engaging (they asked most of the questions) women attending a Bret Easton Ellis platform a couple of years ago, but I've been wondering since where all the ones who defend this type misogyny are hiding in the daytime.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
a writer for Cracked.com wrote just this week about how Robin Thicke is the new vanilla Ice. http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/w...w-vanilla-ice/

as far as the women who defend the misogyny, they are at home scared to come out in daylight lest their "man" see them not cleaning and cooking.
Old 07.14.2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I think that I can be potentially more misogynistic than this song and your post put together.
Old 07.14.2014, 10:55 PM   #4
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
If I read one more thinkpiece about Robin Thicke I am going to shoot my neighbour. Or even worse, the thinkpieces about the thinkpiecies about the thinkpieices about Robin Thicke.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2014, 01:05 AM   #5
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
The shit thing about this is that while everyone gangs up on robin thike (quite rightly), Pharell gets away with it and wanders around like he's saved modern pop music while everyone sucks his dick
the only difference between the two is that Pharell is hot.
That's pretty fucked up if you ask me
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
If I read one more thinkpiece about Robin Thicke I am going to shoot my neighbour. Or even worse, the thinkpieces about the thinkpiecies about the thinkpieices about Robin Thicke.

Have you read these two? I know you want to.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...al-song-decade

http://polemiqueoccasionelle.wordpre...blurred-lines/
Old 07.15.2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
What did Aidan Moffat say?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/aidan...thicke-shocker
Old 07.15.2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
What a to do!
Old 07.15.2014, 02:43 PM   #10
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
GD... this is a legitimate threat. watch your back biatch

Old 07.15.2014, 02:58 PM   #11
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

I completely agree with AM about "I know you want it" not being sexist. Plenty of girls use that line too. Douchebag club culture (which Thicke is clearly singing about) is all about power, control and not letting yourself look weak. You're never supposed to act like you want to take a girl/guy home, you have to get creative and fuck with them. That's the way that culture operates and it's not changing any time soon

Old 07.15.2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
so it is a paean to douchebaggery of the highest order?
Old 07.15.2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

It's the glossy douchebag anthem
Old 07.15.2014, 04:49 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

remember when Miley stroked his dick with a foam "We're Number 1!" finger while he was dressed as beetlejuice and he did not even like it?

The scary part is that Robin Thicke was a last minute addition, when Billy ray Cyrus was bumped from the telecast.

Old 07.15.2014, 05:38 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
remember when Miley stroked his dick with a foam "We're Number 1!" finger while he was dressed as beetlejuice and he did not even like it?

Fucking shit, these pictures are evidence of everything that is truly wrong with the world. It sickens me that in 250,000 years of human evolution, THIS is the end result, all of our theoretical answers must be facepalming..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2014, 05:53 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I like the song myself, despite the shit lyrics. I don't know, it's too hard to believe that scapegoating some pop song and the moron who sings it is ever going to stop a rapist from raping. It's much more likely that a lot of rapists may not even listen to music at all. How many examples similar to this have we already had with pop bands in the past and precisely fuck all happened in terms of stopping violence against women? Why are Duran Duran or Guns 'n Roses still walking the streets free?
Old 07.15.2014, 06:11 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It's much more likely that a lot of rapists may not even listen to music at all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2014, 07:06 PM   #18
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

Am I a shit guy for thinking that the song wasn't about rape so much as being a douchebag? There is a big difference

Old 07.16.2014, 08:15 AM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I like the song myself, despite the shit lyrics. I don't know, it's too hard to believe that scapegoating some pop song and the moron who sings it is ever going to stop a rapist from raping. It's much more likely that a lot of rapists may not even listen to music at all. How many examples similar to this have we already had with pop bands in the past and precisely fuck all happened in terms of stopping violence against women? Why are Duran Duran or Guns 'n Roses still walking the streets free?

there will always be those who seek to scapegoat music/art/video games/etc. They are usually the very ones doing the shit they blame on music/art/video games/etc.
Old 07.16.2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Fucking shit, these pictures are evidence of everything that is truly wrong with the world. It sickens me that in 250,000 years of human evolution, THIS is the end result, all of our theoretical answers must be facepalming..

and please everyone, do not forget that MTV's target audience is 12 YEAR OLD GIRLS. This is by their own admission, so how do you see Miley Cyrus' pedo party on stage with Robin Thicke now? Does it make any sense for a corporate entity to shove these things on pre-pubescent kids? MTV makes shows like Teen Mom to show young girls what they can aspire to?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth