Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How often do you feel completely uninterested in music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2014, 01:10 PM   #1
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
it feels like i have been uninterested in most music for over a full year, i haven't been to a live show in so long i can't even remember who it was and when

also have a giant $700 fender head paperweight gathering dust, same with the guitars

my receiver sucks, no subwoofer output, also gathering dust, so about $2000 in total music related items just not being used

oh shit right, my wall of about 1000 CDs just sitting there

i am not really sure why either, i only really listen to music in my car

just kinda wondering aloud, actually not interested in almost everything to be honest
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Music something that is a lifelong pursuit, like any art, and there are times when you need to separate from it to better appreciate everything else, and then bring that back to your love of music.
Old 06.25.2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I like it when I lose interest in music because when I go back to it I'm reminded why I love it in the first place. One thing the internet taught me and constantly reminds of is that I am generally more bored with most audiences for music. Too many crybabies making a big deal out of things that are not that important in the big scheme of things.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 02:16 PM   #4
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
i gradully stopped caring.

the last genre i got into was classical, theres probably nothing left that would interest me. i spent recent years trying very hard to care and exhausting myself on the effort to get enthused, but there is just nothing going on that is what i want to hear. i can listen to some stuff, its disposable and ok, but thats it.

i like some choral stuff now, and modernist era classical, and japanese composers.

black metal, drone, the gazes and hauses, i can get into some of it but i forget i even heard it and dont bother looking it up again.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
i gradully stopped caring.

That's a totally legitimate feeling to me. I can't think of any other form of art that's been discussed, dissected, patronised, overrated, underrated etc more than music since, maybe, the 60s.

It only seems normal for some people to exhaust on it and get overwhelmed by the amount of redundant discussion. That group of people to me includes musicians themselves. If this means that eventually more and more artists totally detach themselves from the idea of having an audience and have less distractions, maybe we're going to hear more emphatic music than a lot of what you hear these days. I don't think this a bad thing at all, and besides, if no great music is produced ever again, there are so many records to catch up with if you have a keen interest.
Old 06.25.2014, 02:34 PM   #6
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
i think that ive heard everything. my brain has schematics of where everythings going to go in advance. it never does anything that grabs my attention

our society is composed of the oldest individuals in history, so its a gerontocracy and everyone young is too poor to do anything. its just lazy soundcloud mixes. we need to be crushed and enslaved by aliens with different brains who can produce some actual novelty.

and black people cant come up with anything new for us to steal. why is hip hop still happening?
Old 06.25.2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe musical appreciation is like any muscle, overuse, creates fatigue.

I have gone through long stretches where I do not listen to music, and I have gone through long stretches where I do not create any art. I am currently in the middle of one of those. It has been at least 7 months since I have drawn or painted anything substantive.

I think people like many in the SYG board, like us discussing here, are the kind of folks that seek the leading edges, the boundaries, of what we like in music. That makes us bypass 80-90% of what exists because it is not an outlier. When you seek to reside in the avant-garde, your sphere of connections becomes ever smaller. There are only so many drone bands you can hear before they all begin to tread the same territory.

I tend to think that the mind detaching from outside stimuli, (music, art TV etc.) is a signal from yourself to yourself that you need to focus more on what is in you as opposed to what is outside you. The outer stuff becomes tame, boring, or even just easily ignorable.
Old 06.25.2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
i think that ive heard everything. my brain has schematics of where everythings going to go in advance. it never does anything that grabs my attention

our society is composed of the oldest individuals in history, so its a gerontocracy and everyone young is too poor to do anything. its just lazy soundcloud mixes. we need to be crushed and enslaved by aliens with different brains who can produce some actual novelty.

and black people cant come up with anything new for us to steal. why is hip hop still happening?

Thinking that culture is an actual, real factor in a changing society is exactly what I think is the problem most musicians and their audience trying to get it right face these days. What you listen to and consider your own taste is, in the vast majority of cases, determined by how best you are able to do it. It still seems like this type of naivety is more popular in rock, pop, hip hop and whatever comes from them. It involuntarily leads to the ground zero of perceiving how it all happens. In such a public way it's often embarrassing.
Old 06.25.2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I thought I'd put a traditional Suchfriends meme on this thread before he gets back home and do it himself. I hope I got the style right.

Old 06.25.2014, 11:20 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Must Spread the Deal With It Meme Shades Around Before Sending It To Genteel Death again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 11:23 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
As to the thread, I've felt this way a lot more lately, like over the past year. Its not so much that I listen to music less, its that I listen to less new music. I am not chasing new music, even when my favorite bands put out new records. Also to your equipment getting dusty, well I can also relate to that too, but I can't explain it either, I don't like that I've been a lot less involved in playing music than listening to it, honestly I feel kind of victim to it. But music is from inspiration, hence the term muse, and if there is no muse, no inspiration, it becomes mechanical.

Old 06.25.2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
There have been times I havenīt been very interested in music. When my first child borned, music was really not in the middle of my life. And there were years I bought only new albums of my favourite artists (it was that time I noticed almost over year after that SY has released Murray Street) not any second hand albums or any other new albums.

When I have listened four albums non-stop, I donīt want to listen any music long time. If it has been in the morning, I can listen an album in the evening.

I donīt also get excited about totally new music often these days. If it happens, there has to be something I havenīt heard before, at least totally new mix of old elements. Well, sometimes some song just got me (like Dumb Numbers "Last Night I had a dream" did last year).

I used to create own music, but I have lost interest to make it anymore. I made one new song last year, this year I havenīt made any. Maybe I donīt make any songs in my life anymore.

One thing I have thought that popular music has made a circle. I think before Elvis most of the popular music meaning seemed to be just entertainment. And all the music I hear from the mainsteam radios and television these days seem to be only entertainment music.

Yes, there are important things in my life also as music. Like my family.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just thought that maybe music recording is the reason why people canīt create anything really new these days. Because when the recording music hadnīt invented, people just couldnīt listen any music and they have to create totally new music.
Old 06.26.2014, 01:43 AM   #14
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

theres an overflow of info and media. everyone is in permanent click distraction. every wants it to slow down but it wont.

baudrillard understood in his last book - he talked about the net and said that "free obligatory communication is unbearable" and how we all want it to be stopped and subject to the law of value. but it goes too fast.

there are no gaps anymore, no moments in which you want the thing but dont have it. theres just a noisey glut.

he has this other line about how we've "lost the vital secret" to our energies which is to never go all the way. its like when you binge drink and everyone pukes and cant remember it and gets sick. alternatively, if you sit in a quiet place, relax, and have just a bit short of the amount of alcohol you want to grasp for, you have the most amazing and wonderful time. true pleasure.

people talked about hauntology but even when i was young, i was getting into stuff from the early 80s and 90s, into a moment that had already past and existed as something else in my imagination. so that effect is still there and young people will explore and still feel that awe because they havent heard it all yet and there are still places on the trail ahead of them to discover.

music is for the young anyway, because we know that the brain changes and music is not as sensational and great for a 25 or 30 year old as it is for a 17 year old.

and i feel that the young are robbed of their rightful spaces by the gerontocracy.

i noticed that out of all the new underground genres that appeared in recent years, witch house, hauntology, hypnagogia, vaper etc. they are all characterised by almost no lyrics or vocals at all. it makes sense given the conditions. i also remember one night at 4am listening to radio 1 and hearing blocks of electronica and just thinking how the machines are doing it all themselves, and our input is such a small part of that.

anyway, for me, my interests shifted but im still pursuing the same thing, whatever it is. i just find it outside of music. something like punk is such an embarrassment because it is just history now, its like an old man with some antique thing.
Old 06.26.2014, 07:00 AM   #15
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

music is for the young anyway, because we know that the brain changes and music is not as sensational and great for a 25 or 30 year old as it is for a 17 year old.

I agree this. I know I will not have as great emotions from any new music, as I get in the age of seventeen listening first time Velvets two first albums with few bottles of beer. But on the other hand, music is not dead to me (& I am 41), specially music that have earlier caused me big emotions still causes them to me. And I still want to hear music Iīve never heard before, but mostly it is old music, todayīs music is just not for me. The world of today seem to live like only youth-time is important. In the past old people were respected. I donīt believe I will ever become totally bored to this life, also there are many other interesting things in my life as music. I donīt care what the world think of me because Iīm old, I am still going to live full life!

And about that everything goes too fast, Iīve chosen that I`m not in it. I donīt have to know everything whatīs going on in the music or in the world. I just try to live as simple as possible.
Old 06.26.2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I do not agree with the "music is for the young" statement. Most musicians are NOT young, especially in truly musical (in that they require musical skill as well as just desire) forms like Jazz, orchestral, blues, and other such music. The musicians are generally older.

Most Jazz fans have always been older, most classical fans also. It is usually the new waves of acts that attract the young audience looking for something different than what their elders listened to, but since they are young, they really do not understand that the "new" stuff they like is just an extension of the massive amounts of "old" stuff that came before it.

Even pop music behaves this way. Most pop music is done by people over 30, produced by people over 40.
Old 06.26.2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what gets tiresome is chasing the "new"
Old 06.26.2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I'm not really interested if music is for the young or old. I am curious to know how someone feels when you lose interest in something you've been holding as special for a long time and suddenly you realise all that has changed.
Old 06.26.2014, 12:07 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I agree with rob, music, especially PLAYING music is so much more an old man's sport than a young man's game. When you're young music is more all-absorbing and all-encompassing, but when you're older its something you've mastered, something largely intuitive, something that has become instinct.

ALL the best bands really hit their peak in their late 30s if they aren't already a cliche of themselves. I think some of the best records of ALL TIME were recorded by band when they were in their 30s and 40s as opposed to 20s..

When you're in your 20s music is more of an open experiment, when you're older its more of a calculated risk.

Definitely like rob said, its not listening to or playing music that is for the young, its chasing the new, because when you're young EVERYTHING is new and EVERYTHING new is practically Divine.

Old 06.26.2014, 12:14 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

As to Genteel's question, I think that you raise a great point. However, I think like rob mentioned, if music is a lifelong passion we should expect as we in Rastafari say, "Trod over hills and valleys."

There are ups and downs, ebbs and flows, but what is the long arc trajectory?

I think to put this in Campbellian terms, when musicians and music lovers get past the infatuation stage and evolve into a serious marriage, they have found apotheosis and are bringing home the Ultimate Boon. So what they, either fans or musicians are chasing is no longer the new, but perfection. A kind of balanced bliss. There is a sense of vision.

It is the only way to survive years, possibly decades of devoting so much of your life to spending odd and long hours in dive bars, shitty clubs, and smoke filled jam spaces

Me? I admit to having lost sight of the Vision, I gave up on that goal, I decided that devoting all that time to that setting wasn't part of my Vision any more, instead I focus on my school teaching as my stage and audience.

I will say this, admitting to becoming a "failed musician" has made my music so much more satisfying for myself. I always wrote and performed music for what it did and does inside for me, but I also was intrigued, indeed DRIVEN to share it with other people at all costs. Since that extrovert part of my soul is now overly occupied with a different audience on a daily basis, I don't have the spiritual capacity to expend myself any further. So the music is JUST for me now. It has become purified like a potent extract of my own personal use. Writing and playing my own original music has become like my private stash..

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth