Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Rather Ripped Tour Statistics
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2006, 01:04 AM   #21
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
How long are the sets so far?!?!?!?
Read post number 8.
Old 06.18.2006, 01:05 AM   #22
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Thanks a bunch Krastian!!!
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 01:54 PM   #23
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I think Mark Ibold did not have the time to learn a lot of old songs, I think they're gonna play more of them later...

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 02:06 PM   #24
tazerfloyd
empty page

tazerfloyd has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Well,
last time i saw sy, 2005 in istanbul,turky they played a greatest hit set und a couple of new songs, in 2 Hours

the time i saw sy bevore, 2004 in genevua, switzerland, they played almost the entire nurse album, but also skizo, mote, burning spear, expressway and it was about 2 hours and 10 minutes

these shows sounds for me like 70 minuit shows, without any real highlights (i like the new album, but common, this is not their best work in the 2000s).

Although i planned, i will not travel and spend 30 % of my monthly income for this show.

Please dear sonics, don't let me down, i want to book the flight to france this year
tazerfloyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 02:16 PM   #25
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
I think Mark Ibold did not have the time to learn a lot of old songs, I think they're gonna play more of them later...
But he wouldn't really have to, unless Kim wasn't going to play when she sings.
Old 06.18.2006, 03:18 PM   #26
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
^In DC (the first show at least) they played everything but Sleepin' Around plus 4 old songs that I had seen a bunch of times except for Shaking Hell, of course. Hopefully they are just warming up and by the Aug. gigs with the Lips and whatnot they will be more inspired to bust out some more varied sets.

I think it probably has something to do with Mark Ibold playing bass. They probably only had time to learn and rehearse the new songs with him and a couple old tracks. They could play some old songs he doesn't know but would be awkward to have a 5th guy on stage not playing and watching or something.

Jim was well-integrated with the band by the time they really started busting out the old-shit, and he had been in the studio with them constantly practicing and recording and writing so they probably had a lot more time to teach him the old stuff. Plus Jim is a noise genius mastermind and was just able to pick up a guitar or his laptop and add an extra layer to any old track rather easily. I don't really think that's Ibold's forte and he'd pretty much just have to learn the bass to lots of songs. Although, I guess you could argue it is bass, and it wouldn't be that hard for him to follow along or learn or create something. The Youth are probably just taking the easiest approach.

Makes me feel less bad about missing them on this tour.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 03:20 PM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Here';s the stats:

broken guitars: one (mark ibold is the only one in the band not in a wheelchair and he broke a guitar to impress the "kids")
dirty diapers: 500
number of hours of thurston being sassy and shilling some shitty ass noise band: 596875986

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 03:21 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Also, i can't believe sonic youth actually enjoy playing so many shitty songs.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 06:46 PM   #29
hambu hodo
little trouble girl

hambu hodo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i honestly don't know what you guys are expecting. of course theyre going to play mostly all of their new album. they havent played these songs much yet. plus, mark just started playing with them recently. i'm sure they will bust out some older songs later in the tour.
Old 06.18.2006, 06:54 PM   #30
habanero
empty page

habanero has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I really liked what I heard last night at The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC.

The band was tight and they looked like they were having as much fun as the sold out crowd.

This was my 4th time seeing Sonic Youth, 1st time since Lollapalooza.

Kim was hot and sultry, the music was groovin. Best show I've seen in a long time.
habanero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 07:03 PM   #31
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero
I really liked what I heard last night at The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC.

The band was tight and they looked like they were having as much fun as the sold out crowd.

This was my 4th time seeing Sonic Youth, 1st time since Lollapalooza.

Kim was hot and sultry, the music was groovin. Best show I've seen in a long time.
Do you have a setlist possibly?

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 07:10 PM   #32
Super J
empty page

Super J has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Do you have a setlist possibly?
I can't remember the order, but they played all of Rather Ripped. Drunken Butterfly was early in the set. Brother James closed it. The first encore was Eric's Trip and Or. The second was Shaking Hell.
A picture of your life shoots like a rocket
Super J is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 07:13 PM   #33
habanero
empty page

No I don't remember all of what they played.

I was rather ripped.
Old 06.18.2006, 07:16 PM   #34
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super J
I can't remember the order, but they played all of Rather Ripped. Drunken Butterfly was early in the set. Brother James closed it. The first encore was Eric's Trip and Or. The second was Shaking Hell.
That sums it up pretty well, thanks.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 07:41 PM   #35
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
I'm glad I didn't go. I've seen Brother James, Drunk Butterfly and Eric's Trip before.

Good to know that I didn't miss anything.
I can tell you're pretty cool.
Old 06.18.2006, 07:42 PM   #36
habanero
empty page

Jeesh, what a bunch of negative old farts you are.

Why worry about the fucking setlist?

Believe me, they rocked.
Old 06.18.2006, 07:50 PM   #37
Gookid
children of satan

Ack, sorry.
Old 06.18.2006, 07:53 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I agree. The set's do look boring. They are playing way too much material off of the new album. I don't mind of course if they play a few songs off Rather Ripped, but almost the entire set list is from RR except for like 3 or 4 songs! That's not cool! I want more variety in an SY show. I .

dude what the fuck do you expect? it is a tour to support and release the new record, so OF COURSE the setlist is going to be a majority of the new material. on the Nurse tour, they played the entire record with 3 or 4 older tunes. personally, I'm excited to hear some NEW sonic live, rather then the same ol tunes floatin around, catch y'all at the Filter gig and on at Jimmy Kimmel (fuck pearl shit!)

and for the record

Reena
Incinerate
Jams Run Free
Rats
Sleepin Around
What A Waste

these are all top quality tunes, which still continue to impress me, and which I can't wait to see live. stop hatin on sonic youth. first the indie hipsters cant wait to see Jim O Rourke leave, and then when he does everybody cries "the new record sucks" get over yourselves. If Sonic Youth could quote Stewie Griffin, "I don't have to fucking impress you."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 08:31 PM   #39
tobyd
empty page

tobyd has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The late show in particular was sick and it doesn't matter what they play it's how the play it. Ibold was totally up to the cause taboot. :T

Sonic Youth
June 15th, 2006
930 Club
Washington DC

Early Show

Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Reena
Incinerate
Drunken Butterfly
Lights Out
Do You Believe in Rapture?
The Neutral
PCH
Rats
100%
What A Waste
--
Turquoise Boy
Or
--
Shaking Hell

Late Show

Reena
Incinerate
Pattern Recognition >
Sleepin' Around
The Neutral false start
The Neutral
Do You Believe in Rapture?
What A Waste
Rats
Lights Out
Turquoise Boy
Pink Steam
Or
--
18 Eric's Trip
19 Shaking Hell
--
21 Brother James
tobyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 08:43 PM   #40
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Actually Jah Brah...you're wrong. I just looked at a few nurse setlists...and all of the setlists I saw had 6 non-nurse tunes...sometimes more.

Not "3 or 4".

True, when SY was touring while supporting Nurse, they came to Boston and played a very wide variety of material stretching their entire career. If they don't really mix it up this time around, I'll be dissapointed. I like the new album a bit, I just don't think it's worthy of the exposure they are giving it. I mean a whole show's worth of Rather Ripped with a couple of old tunes thrown in for the encore? Sorry guys, that's not gonna cut it. I want a more "varietous" show (don't really know if that's a word). If the new album were really amazing, I mean simply stunning and genius, something that beat out all their other albums, then I would be okay with an all Rather Ripped show. But it isn't so no way.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth