Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Price - an open letter
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.02.2006, 08:00 AM   #1
suprgalacticlova
empty page

suprgalacticlova has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi,

I’ve been a Sonic Youth fan for years and I appreciate the band’s regularity in organizing live shows in Belgium.

I decided however, as did a lot of other Belgian Sonic Youth aficionados I know, not to attend their concert scheduled December, 11 & 12 at the Halles de Schaerbeek.

On December, 12, I will indeed be at the Botanique, approximately 500 metres away from the Halles, where a multicultural, multiskilled, talented and promising young band named The Guillemots (You must have heard of them !) will be performing live…

Perhaps Sonic Youth’s not aware of this – That’s what managers are for, right ? – but one single ticket for their venue costs no less than 30 €.

Both dates were sold out almost instantly, so why bother fixing a lower entry price ? you might ask. To allow everybody, independently from their revenue level, to enjoy Sonic Youth’s “compact potency of rock ‘n’ roll enlightment” (as stated by the new album’s promo one-liner) and to make (so called independent) culture accessible to all !, would be my reply.

I think the Sonic Youth fan base is large enough to allow the band to consider avoiding to increase Live Nation’s worldwide monopoly on live performances.

Pardon my irony, but after all, they’re Sonic Youth, they’re not The Rolling Stones, are they ?... Are the ‘indie’ years really “passé” ?...

Regards,
suprgalacticlova is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 09:23 AM   #2
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
sy arent the rolling stones thank fuck but they are certainly a long gone from being indie, indie bands probably dont really exist..

€30 aint bad for a sy ticket, try living in ireland, €30 is relativly cheap!
Old 12.02.2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
There's been worse prices. I paid $70.00 to see them this summer with the flaming lips and bush tetras. Oh, and SOV
Old 12.02.2006, 01:19 PM   #4
RoadkillKid
little trouble girl

RoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
sy arent the rolling stones thank fuck but they are certainly a long gone from being indie, indie bands probably dont really exist..

€30 aint bad for a sy ticket, try living in ireland, €30 is relativly cheap!

Word. I paid almost 60 quid to see the Flaming Lips. 30 Euro is pretty much a bargain for a band of SY's stature here in Ireland. I know London ticket prices are the same, if not worse.

The Guillemots?? Did they suck? Worth the tenner in?
RoadkillKid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 01:26 PM   #5
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Don't be a bitch. Go and see Sonic Youth, it's worth 30 (euro?). I paid $30 canadian and didn't regret a single penny of it, plus, you have to keep in mind the price of renting a venue these days. They have to rent it, then other applicable service charges, etc.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Don't be a bitch. Go and see Sonic Youth, it's worth 30 (euro?). I paid $30 canadian and didn't regret a single penny of it, plus, you have to keep in mind the price of renting a venue these days. They have to rent it, then other applicable service charges, etc.

Did you go to the Go! Team one or Osheaga? I wanted to go to buth but Toronto's a lot further than montreal ,and I had no place to stay either
Old 12.02.2006, 01:44 PM   #7
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
London ticket prices? I saw SY in London for £14 which included a booking fee. This was 6 years ago, mind. What's 30 Euros? About 20 quid or something? That is pretty fucking steep. I'd still pay it but I'm a weak little whore.
Old 12.02.2006, 02:12 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I saw SY for 14 pounds too, Whorefrost, but that was in Glasgow so I spent quite a bit on hotels/trains.. two years ago.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 03:35 PM   #9
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
30€ is nothing...consider that you don't only see sy at the show on 11th.......fucking BARDO POND is with them....two great bands for 30 € which makes 15 each.....how inexpensive is that
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Bardo Pond are worth that on their own!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 06:30 PM   #11
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
With bullshit Ticketmaster service feees, I paid $40 Canadian to see SY in Toronto, and about $55 American to see them with Ween and Flaming Lips at the New York State Fair, both this past summer. Each of them were 2 of the best nights of my life, and I don't regret spening a single penny from either show.

To cut a long story short: you'll probably be able to see this new local band again, and I'm going to bet that you'd have a better time at Sonic Youth, who probably don't come around as often. Go see Sonic Youth.
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 10:23 PM   #12
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
Go suck a dick for cash. There's no way that you can complain about a band around for 25+ years for wanting to make a profit, in fucking Belgium or whatever country they're playing when they should be playing in California.

And fuck the Guillemots too.
jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2006, 10:28 PM   #13
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Did you go to the Go! Team one or Osheaga? I wanted to go to buth but Toronto's a lot further than montreal ,and I had no place to stay either

W/ the Go! Team.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 12.02.2006, 10:29 PM   #14
k-krack
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeonguitar
Go suck a dick for cash. There's no way that you can complain about a band around for 25+ years for wanting to make a profit, in fucking Belgium or whatever country they're playing when they should be playing in California.

And fuck the Guillemots too.

Why should they play in California? The objective of a band is to tour and play to people who want to see them. Don't be a selfish cock-ass.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 12.02.2006, 10:38 PM   #15
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
Cock-Ass. That's a new one I haven't heard. Is there some Algebraic equation for combining two 'insults' and making a new one? If so, go kiss my fuck-dumbass. (yeah, that wasn't as good as cock-ass)

I was actually referring to an inside joke that Bollocks and I have, where the RR Tour played in San Francisco, Sacramento, and Portland (all of which I would have been able to attend) but couldn't due to family issues, so I was pissed off.

My overall point was to show that Sonic youth can play anywhere, but can't do it for 10 bucks like this guy wants them to.
jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth