Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page hold that tiger.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2006, 10:33 PM   #1
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
hey, i just got hold that tiger today and i'm wondering what the japanese writing on the cover says. i'm teaching myself japanese, and from what i can read it is pronounced something like "poku no hahaha kahimono niyuki mashita." (i may have some of the the spacing wrong.) what confuses me is that it's written in katakana, which i thought were reserved for imported words, and if my transliteration is correct that definitely sounds like native japanese vocabulary. any japanese speakers here who can clear that up?
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 10:36 PM   #2
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
fuck i used to take japanese, but now all i can say are "how much are those black shoes" , and "the post office is over there"
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 10:41 PM   #3
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I know a tiny bit, but more importantly I know how to use my Kanji dictionary quite well. I'll look it up though cause I don't have the CD.

Edit: If anyone could get a bigger picture of it, I could get it. The sentence structure looks basic, and it looks like there's furigana next to the kanji anyway.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 11:08 PM   #4
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Boku no haha ni kaimono ikimashita.

My mother went shopping?
Old 07.25.2006, 11:26 PM   #5
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
furigana -- so that's what they're called. i can't read kanji so i was using those for reference.

here's the biggest one i could find on google. maybe you could save it and blow it up?

Old 07.25.2006, 11:28 PM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Ya I can't read kanji either. Maybe 30 or so of them, but there are a good 2000+ that you have to learn to be considered fluent. Can you read and transcribe the furigana, though? They're way too small to see. I could get it that way for sure. I'm almost positive it says "My mother went shopping" though.
Old 07.26.2006, 03:05 AM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My sources concur with acousticrock87.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 04:51 AM   #8
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
its writen in ancient opaic japaneese, from the ancinet rammadh monks who used to actually breed tigers and train them for the first few years of their lives... this section of text comes from the general "slopping out" procedure where the tiger would have a big shit and one monk would communicate the one sentence in two seperate languages... so the first half is

"Hold that Tiger......."
and its japaneese second half actually translates as "while i wipe its arse"

Old 07.26.2006, 04:55 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
its writen in ancient opaic japaneese, from the ancinet rammadh monks who used to actually breed tigers and train them for the first few years of their lives... this section of text comes from the general "slopping out" procedure where the tiger would have a big shit and one monk would communicate the one sentence in two seperate languages... so the first half is

"Hold that Tiger......."

Nice one!
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 11:34 AM   #10
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:

"Hold that Tiger......."

That's hilarious. SY is the only band that would have that on a cover. I really want to buy it.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 11:53 AM   #11
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
That's hilarious. SY is the only band that would have that on a cover. I really want to buy it.

i was joking. i havent a clue what it means.
Old 07.26.2006, 11:58 AM   #12
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Somebody told me it means, Your mother has gone shopping.

Also, supposedly, the cover photo is not of Thurston and Kim, as one might suppose at a quick glance but of members of Pussy Galore. (?) Has anybody heard anything about that? When somebody told me that, I took a closer look, and it really doesn't look like Thurston and Kim. But I'm not real sure what the people in Pussy Galore look like.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 11:58 AM   #13
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
i was joking. i havent a clue what it means.

Shit I really thought it was true becuz My mother went shopping didn't seem right. Haha I actually believed you. I thought, "Where the hell would he learn this?" Fooled me................

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 12:46 PM   #14
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Somebody told me it means, Your mother has gone shopping.

Also, supposedly, the cover photo is not of Thurston and Kim, as one might suppose at a quick glance but of members of Pussy Galore. (?) Has anybody heard anything about that? When somebody told me that, I took a closer look, and it really doesn't look like Thurston and Kim. But I'm not real sure what the people in Pussy Galore look like.

My guess is that its Bob Bert and Julie Cafritz... i'm actually pretty sure of that.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 01:05 PM   #15
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
here's a larger pic if you guys need it...

soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 01:09 PM   #16
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
My guess is that its Bob Bert and Julie Cafritz... i'm actually pretty sure of that.

Okay. Pussy Galore drummer and guitarist, respectively.

Bob did a lot of things on the early SY albums, too, didn't he?
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 09:20 PM   #17
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

I can see the resemblance to Thurston, with the hair, but that doesn't look anything like Kim. Bob Bert played the drums on CiS and BMR, though.

"Boku (I, masculine) no ('s) haha (mom) wa (subject marker for mom) kaimono (shopping) ni (at) yukimashita (go, past tense)." So "My mom went at shopping." I'm assuming they just always use "at" with that word. I don't know.
Old 07.26.2006, 11:33 PM   #18
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
definitely bob and julie.
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 07:58 PM   #19
qprogeny79
stalker

ok, as long as we're on the japanese topic here's another question. what does the japanese sy avatar say? i got it down to "hisuteriwwa komiwwasu" but either a) the english got so whacked when it was given a japanese pronunciation as to be totally unrecognizable, b) it's native japanese (which would be odd since, again, it's written in katakana), and/or c) i fucked up the transliteration (those "wa"s might be "fu"s, and the "w"s might be "tsu"s or even "shi"s, though i think i have those right since they look like the small, double-letter-making "tsu"s). any guesses?
Old 08.14.2006, 09:03 PM   #20
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

It's definitely English. Hisuterikku Komikkusu. Only thing you did was translate the ku's as wa's. Katakana is actually very hard to read at first because they all look similar. I can read them, but I have a hard time recalling them all like I can with hiragana.

The u's are almost always silent in foreign words like that - and even in normal Japanese, for that matter. So it would be pronounced something like Histerik Komiks, and Hysteric Comics is all I can think of it meaning. Has to be. But I don't know what that is.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth