Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.07.2009, 02:22 PM   #1
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Forgive me if they have already been discussed - I tried doing a search but the words "the" and "gossip" are kinda popular on this forum....

So, what do you think about them? I'm writing this because I may or may not decide to drive down to DC and fork over $20 to see them again....otherwise, I might see them at Terminal 5 for $30 on Friday.

They are one of my favorite bands (although I haven't really heard many of their new songs...it worries me that Heavy Cross seems to have a synth though...) That's Not What I Heard is an album that continues to move me every time I listen. I saw them when I was in Copenhagen and was really, really impressed. However, I know that Beth Ditto does not play long sets so I don't know if it's worth the ticket price + the cost of gas.

Let's discuss. (Hopefully this thread will turn into more than a debate as to whether Beth Ditto is hot or not...because we all know she is)

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:27 PM   #2
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
she certainly isn't hot at all
and me not likey
i can see the appeal though but not for ~the Rex~
Old 10.07.2009, 02:29 PM   #3
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Seeing her live is believing. That girl has stage presence. And confidence. And what a voice!

Old 10.07.2009, 02:31 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think they suck, and further I think everyone gives that chick MORE credit than she deserves simply because she is not what people conventionally think of as attractive. I think she gets subliminal pity points, and further I think that is bullshit! I listened to two or three of their albums, it was not my taste. I did not understand all the critical praise until I actually saw the woman and said, "ohhh, pity party time."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Beth Ditto is the UK's answer to Mama Cass.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
She has a way of singing that makes me think her voice won't last another ten years. The tension in her vibrato makes my throat contract.

I've heard people say they're good live. So... yeah, knock yourself out. You're only young once. Unless you're old, in which case, you haven't got long left, might as well make the best of your last days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:32 PM   #7
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
"ohhh, pity party time."

My reasons for liking them have nothing to do with pity. I personally really enjoy how they mix together punk, blues and dance. It's totally rad. That being said, I never really liked Standing in the Way of Control (the song)

Old 10.07.2009, 02:34 PM   #8
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Beth Ditto is the UK's answer to Mama Cass.

she was fucking royalty in denmark. it was insane.

Old 10.07.2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think they've outlasted the novelty of having a large lead singer. There's a reason you haven't heard of Ultrasound but have heard of the Gossip (regardless of the fact I'm not overly keen on the Gossip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:37 PM   #10
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

I think it really says something that most people only think of them as being the band with that fat girl, despite the fact that they've been around for 10 years now.

Old 10.07.2009, 02:48 PM   #11
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Seen them live once, having not heard of them before.
I had quite a great time (regardless of the fact i was punch-drunk as I always tend to be on music festivals) so they must have been pretty good.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
they seem popular on the bear scene. The fact that other than having a fat woman in david bowie make up there isn't anything interesting or good about them is enough to make me diet harder.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:54 PM   #13
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

why do people give a shit if she's fat or not? karen o has a similar stage presentation but people don't seem to mind because she's skinny.

Old 10.07.2009, 02:56 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
My reasons for liking them have nothing to do with pity. I personally really enjoy how they mix together punk, blues and dance. It's totally rad. That being said, I never really liked Standing in the Way of Control (the song)

I was more in reference to critical praise for otherwise unnoteworthy albums. That was not a crack at your own musical tastes, more the mainstream "oh yeah, we heard the gossip and their cool" vibe..
I think the music industry was affraid to criticize her because of her differences.. I heard the critical praise and tried to like the albums, but I did not, and this was having NEVER seen or heard of or knew anything about Beth Ditto. I just did not like the sound, it was mediocre at best.. so I was thinking to myself, jesus this band sucks! Why do all these writers keep praising this band as if they did not suck? then I saw the front woman, and I got it instantly. As I said, it is more subliminal pity points if anything. It is politie to leave people who are different alone, whether they are what we think of extremely attractive or unattractive, we show favortism towards extremes.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 02:57 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
i don't. Bears into bad indie music do, apparently.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 03:01 PM   #16
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I was more in reference to critical praise for otherwise unnoteworthy albums. That was not a crack at your own musical tastes, more the mainstream "oh yeah, we heard the gossip and their cool" vibe..
I think the music industry was affraid to criticize her because of her differences.. I heard the critical praise and tried to like the albums, but I did not, and this was having NEVER seen or heard of or knew anything about Beth Ditto. I just did not like the sound, it was mediocre at best.. so I was thinking to myself, jesus this band sucks! Why do all these writers keep praising this band as if they did not suck? then I saw the front woman, and I got it instantly. As I said, it is more subliminal pity points if anything. It is politie to leave people who are different alone, whether they are what we think of extremely attractive or unattractive, we show favortism towards extremes.

okie that makes more sense. i heard "lesson learned" on a mix long before i knew who who beth ditto was and i really liked it. then again, i tend to like most riot grrl-ish stuff...it's kinda a weak point of mine.

that being said, i think that beth ditto has also gotten a lot of hate from the music industry.

Old 10.07.2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them live once on a festival. When I read their description I thought It'd be pretty cool but that feeling came as quick as it want the moment they started playing. Beth has a great voice though, but the music itself is so boring.

Also she's fat.
Old 10.07.2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
she sings pretty good. they're nothing impressive though.

also, she has armpit hair. even more than patti smith.
something else i just noticed, she has no eyebrows.

oh yeah and she is morbidly obese.
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 06:45 PM   #19
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Her voice is great, but the music is sort of boring and has only gotten worse with every album.

Also, I don't think Beth Ditto is hot, but I think it's awesome that she's confident and that other people think she's hot.

Quote:
also, she has armpit hair. even more than patti smith.

I know! It's so gross
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2009, 06:47 PM   #20
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
why do people give a shit if she's fat or not? karen o has a similar stage presentation but people don't seem to mind because she's skinny.

Good point.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth