Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ladytron - ya dig?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Killthosecops
empty page

Killthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's asses
So I've been listening to Ladytron nonstop for the last like 3 days. This band is simply amazing, and with a hot chick singer I don't think I could be happier!
Killthosecops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2009, 06:18 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
nah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2009, 06:48 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
nah.

I agree. I walked into a store with my girlfriend at the time like ten years ago.. and Ladytron was playing very loud in this cheezy chick boutique spot.. and it was bumping some drone-house-electronica and this chick just kept chanting "hey young girls.." over and over to this horrifying beat..

To this day I have not forgotten the absolute terror I felt in that establishment..

that music gave me the fear.

I literally ran out of that store and had to sit in a quiet place because I was having a fucking BAD TRIP. no joke!

she tried to play more of that music for me later on and it always had the same affect.. damned shit is like a bad acid trip, I don't fuck with Ladytron. Shit, this thread has already brought the fear creaping up my spine, thanks alot Killthosecops (nice name by the way)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2009, 11:13 PM   #4
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I've grown sick of revivalism. I've been doing a review of the decade's best and worst music on YouTube and I decided to revisit Fischerspooner. There was once a time when I thought those guys were pretty cool, but I gave the video for "Emerge" a spin the other day and I felt it was total crap. The music sounded completely soulless (I know that's the idea, but I prefer vocals that sound human) and they looked absolutely ridiculous. I can't help but wonder what all those magazines were thinking back in 2002 when they were being hailed as refreshing and innovative.

I'm sick of the electro revival, the shred revival, the post-punk revival, the old school rock revival, etc. It's not 1969, 1973, or 1982; it's 2009. Time moves on.

I know it might be asking a lot, but I want the next decade to be dominated by artists who want to truly express themselves and break new ground, not try to recreate some bygone era.

Killthosecops, if you like Ladytron, enjoy them. But I'd rather listen to someone who's not acting like the past 20 years of popular music never happened.
Old 08.08.2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think, in fairness, there wasn't much in the 80s that sounded like Fischerspooner or Ladytron. In much the same way as 60s rock n' roll doesn't sound anything like the Delta blues but is inspired by it.

And, if nothing else, Ladytron are nothing like an arch electro pastiche. They are, however, a bunch of women making dance-friendly music, which is pretty much the anathema to the anti-dance sausage-fest that is SYG.

Actually, alright, they are a smidge Erasure at times. But since when was being awesome a crime? Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
my mum met them at an airport recently and she said they were very polite
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2009, 07:43 PM   #7
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I've grown sick of revivalism. I've been doing a review of the decade's best and worst music on YouTube and I decided to revisit Fischerspooner. There was once a time when I thought those guys were pretty cool, but I gave the video for "Emerge" a spin the other day and I felt it was total crap. The music sounded completely soulless (I know that's the idea, but I prefer vocals that sound human) and they looked absolutely ridiculous. I can't help but wonder what all those magazines were thinking back in 2002 when they were being hailed as refreshing and innovative.

I'm sick of the electro revival, the shred revival, the post-punk revival, the old school rock revival, etc. It's not 1969, 1973, or 1982; it's 2009. Time moves on.

I know it might be asking a lot, but I want the next decade to be dominated by artists who want to truly express themselves and break new ground, not try to recreate some bygone era.

Killthosecops, if you like Ladytron, enjoy them. But I'd rather listen to someone who's not acting like the past 20 years of popular music never happened.

First of all, I think that, by and large, electroclash and even 8-bit (as interesting as I think it is) is going to be seen as a joke a few years down the line. Second of all, I'd also like to see something NEW. I wish there was something that took inspiration from the past (like everything does) but somehow sounded fresh. I think a lot of problem is that people, even the music press, think (or at least though for awhile) that adding electro fx to rock songs made it "super cool and new", even though they had already done that in the 70s 80s. And the results were generally just as bad. Electronic music, to me, isn't really that much more interesting or new than rock music. I mean, we've had synths in pretty wide use since the 70s, right? So I don't really know what to think.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2009, 08:11 PM   #8
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
YOU GOT ME GIRL ON THE RUN AROUND RUN AROUND

... erm. i like that ladytron very very much.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know if I like em enough to sit through an entire album... but I don't dislike them. Perhaps I haven't heard enough to say either way for certain.

I do LOVE this particular song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZlBEVHEps
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Sonic Youth Gossip
stalker

Sonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
First of all, I think that, by and large, electroclash and even 8-bit (as interesting as I think it is) is going to be seen as a joke a few years down the line. Second of all, I'd also like to see something NEW. I wish there was something that took inspiration from the past (like everything does) but somehow sounded fresh. I think a lot of problem is that people, even the music press, think (or at least though for awhile) that adding electro fx to rock songs made it "super cool and new", even though they had already done that in the 70s 80s. And the results were generally just as bad. Electronic music, to me, isn't really that much more interesting or new than rock music. I mean, we've had synths in pretty wide use since the 70s, right? So I don't really know what to think.
Listen to some stuff on Warp Records, I've always found that to be totally forward thinking. Even some of the stuff they were doing in the 90's was still way ahead of today's music.
Sonic Youth Gossip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 06:46 AM   #11
sarramkrop

They have some good songs. For some reason they remind me of Yo La Tengo, not musically, just one of those bands I often forget they exist.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think, in fairness, there wasn't much in the 80s that sounded like Fischerspooner or Ladytron. In much the same way as 60s rock n' roll doesn't sound anything like the Delta blues but is inspired by it.

And most "psychedelic/progressive throwback" LPs of the last fifteen-twenty years don't really sound like the psych/prog LPs of the 60s and 70s. In many cases, the albums from the later bands are more solidly psychedelic, doing away with the obligatory blues numbers and overproduced string-section-laden filler tracks that plague many 60s LPs with one or two killer psych tracks on them. Same with progressive music; trimming the fat a bit, cutting down on some cheesy excesses.
I don't really dig on strict revivalism (perennial garage purists who never manage to measure up to the recordings of your idols, I'm looking in your direction and yawning), but a lot of bands taking cues from the past are attempting to rev it up a bit and use old tricks in combination with modern taste and perspective to make forward-thinking music with a sense of familiarity that comes from a passion for sounds of the past.

I also think there are plenty of new acts making music that sounds like now.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 10:51 AM   #13
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I also think there are plenty of new acts making music that sounds like now.

Examples?
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Gay Beast
Skoal Kodiak
Ga'an
Neptune
Paul Metzger
Michael Yonkers and The Blind Shake
Suishou no Fune
Bardo Pond
Kinski
Most things DJ Rick and Dead-Air play on their radio shows
I could go on and on.
Old 08.09.2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

(Sorry for going so far afield from the Ladytron focus)
Old 08.09.2009, 02:11 PM   #16
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to most of Witching Hour last night (thanks to this thread). I suppose it was the first time I ever devoted any serious attention to this act. I liked it a lot and wanna explore some more.
Old 08.09.2009, 02:14 PM   #17
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
They're alright but a bit too 'obvious' for me.
Old 08.09.2009, 08:21 PM   #18
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i like Ladyhawk better.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't care for Velocifero...but the older albums are really good. Their live show is actually quite good as well and it was like 75% old stuff. Of course, I think all their lyrics should be in Bulgarian, though.
Old 08.09.2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Green Magnesium
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
i like Ladyhawk better.

And I like Blonde Redhead better. What's your point?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth