Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Chi Cheng, please wake up or pass on already, yr breaking their hearts..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.24.2009, 12:05 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
"One Love For Chi" Fundraiser

Chi Cheng, bass player for the Deftones, is currently in a coma following an automobile accident in Santa Clara, CA. on November 4th, 2008.
This website was created to help raise funds for Chi and his medical expenses. Any amount that you can donate is very much appreciated by the Cheng family! All funds raised are sent directly to Chi's mother, Jeanne Cheng, via PayPal.com.

HEAD UP CHI!
A heartfelt thank you to all of our supporters! Together we can make a difference! This is our opportunity to give back to someone who has given us so much joy over the years through music.
Our initial goal is to raise $20,000.00. (Just to clarify because some have made comments regarding the goal amount... this is just a 'starting goal' for us and is literally a drop in the bucket in comparison to what is needed.)
Chi has many times over 2000 fans and if each one of us can donate $10.00, $50.00 or $100.00+ (any amount helps) we can easily achieve our goal. We have power in numbers. Each little bit that we contribute will accumulate to help make a difference in Chi's recovery.
Coming Soon... Stay Tuned!
We will be organizing other events to help in raising more funds for Chi!

OneLoveForChi.com

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 12:09 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
.. is a very different thing to to them than it is to you or anyone else who isn't blessed with a self-inflating bank balance. When I was eleven I thought Madness were just like me. Then i realised that while they made videos in schools just like mine, dressed like me, and came from a similar background, beyond that, our realities were very different..

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
But not being rich doesn't mean that they aren't financially comfortable, which I'm sure they are, especially when compared with most of the rest of us. Regarding their total record sales, from a quick search it would appear that all of their studio albums have gone either gold or platinum. Mix this with touring, merchandise, endorsements, etc and it's probably fair to say that, unless they're complete idiots, they should be doing OK. They have options. I mean, they can afford to move to a better area than the one they were maybe raised in. Whether they will or not is their choice. But it's a choice an awful lot of regular people quite simply don't have. How many Deftones fans dream of a life like theirs? How many members of the Deftones dream of having a life like a vast majority of their fans?

yeah, rich rock stars are just world famous for asking for money to cover their medical expenses..

Old 03.24.2009, 03:17 PM   #3
sarramkrop

Let's put it this way, using death or the possibility of being dead as a mean of gaining sympathy for your wrong-doings is just not on. Not to say this man is doing that, but some of his fans seem to think it's a duty for everyone to feel sorry for him and his family, and it's simply not. Especially if you are in the public eye. If he wasn't there, I wouldn't even know he was about to die or was dead. On top of that, if you play shit music such as the Deaftones, I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to find out about your health.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 03:24 PM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
George Harrison died of cancer. To the best of my knowledge he wasn't living on pasta in the years before he died.

And frankly, if the initial amount that the organisers want to raise is $20k, I'm sure he has enough fans, friends and industry associates that will stump up the money rather quickly. A far less likely prospect if the same fate befell either of us, I imagine.

And needless to say, I wish Chi Cheng a speedy recovery, as well as everyone else currently in a coma but who lack the celebrity-status necessary to warrant a benefit on their behalf.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'd just like to say that should I fall into a coma I want you all to have a benefit for me so I'm not wearing terrible shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 03:38 PM   #6
sarramkrop

Standards, remember them?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 05:18 PM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
to lay comatose in a poorly-styled brogue. No man deserves such a fate.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 08:38 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Let's put it this way, using death or the possibility of being dead as a mean of gaining sympathy for your wrong-doings is just not on.

why the judgement against the brother? It is a band, and many people are deadicated fans, and love the music sincerely, and love the group sincerely, and love the members sincerely..

if Steve Shelly was in a coma would you say the same insensitive things? No, cuz you could relate, but cuz you think the deftones are shit, you've got so much things to say bout that.. but the truth is the truth.

regardless of your tastes in music, Chi Cheng is a good brother sitting in a coma, and his family for whatever reasons can not afford the bills, and so they are asking help from the thousands of people like me who absolutely love the group and Chi, and feel deeply connected and would like to contribute..

in other words, its like yo grammama said, if you aint got nothin nice to say, dun say anything at all!

Old 03.25.2009, 12:26 AM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'd just like to say that should I fall into a coma I want you all to have a benefit for me so I'm not wearing terrible shoes.

we'll get you stellar shoes, but there may not be enough left for pants...

on another not i like the deftones alot but these guys have sold millions of albums has the guy blown all his cash...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2009, 01:05 AM   #10
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
News flash to all the haters:

Record labels don't offer benefits. Therefore, most musicians don't have health insurance. Medical bills can pile up pretty fast and paying them without some sort of co-pay or deductible can be a daunting task.
Old 03.25.2009, 01:07 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is all just too sad. I don't even know what to say.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2009, 03:25 AM   #12
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
why the judgement against the brother? It is a band, and many people are deadicated fans, and love the music sincerely, and love the group sincerely, and love the members sincerely..

if Steve Shelly was in a coma would you say the same insensitive things? No, cuz you could relate, but cuz you think the deftones are shit, you've got so much things to say bout that.. but the truth is the truth.

regardless of your tastes in music, Chi Cheng is a good brother sitting in a coma, and his family for whatever reasons can not afford the bills, and so they are asking help from the thousands of people like me who absolutely love the group and Chi, and feel deeply connected and would like to contribute..

in other words, its like yo grammama said, if you aint got nothin nice to say, dun say anything at all!

That's such a patronising post, I'm not even giving it a proper reply. Also, my grandmother was a hideous bitch, apparently, and I never met her.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2009, 04:55 AM   #13
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
White Pony achieved platinum status selling over 1.3 million copies.

In Australia an new album costs aroun $30au, I'm guessing in the US that would make a new album around $15. So White Pony alone equates to $19500000.

So take away record company loans, paying managers etc there is still going to be a fair chunk of change. Now touring is generally known to be the most lucrative for a band of there stature so there would be a decent amount of cash there too. Obviously song writing credits effect the payment structure of how each individual member geets paid.

It is sad that any person is in this situation but I am not entirely sure that donating to this cause is as worthy as say, ohh I don't know AIDS in Africa, helping homeless people get off the streets, bush fire victims in Australia of whom only 66 out of 210 have been indentified (all 210 dead people and the thousands and thousands effect by the fires from poor rural communites)

It is sad that Cheng is in this situation, but a bit of perspective is nice...
Old 03.25.2009, 05:05 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
He may have made a shitload of money with his band, but being in the hospital for MONTHS can rack up the bills. Hell, my grandpa took a test the other day that tested his ears and that cost $2500 (I mean, he has insurance, but he still has to pay quite a bit of that)! Hospital bills may not seem like much but considering dude's been in there for, what, about 5 months now?

There are a million things out there worth donating to (and not worth donating to)... I generally donate to things that feel right to me, personally. I'll probably end up donating a little bit to this. That doesn't mean you have to. I dunno, it's not hard to donate a few bucks to a guy who plays in a band I like.

Old 03.25.2009, 11:24 AM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That's such a patronising post, I'm not even giving it a proper reply. Also, my grandmother was a hideous bitch, apparently, and I never met her.

my great grandmother was worse, she punched my mother dead in the stomach for using the wrong floor wax when my she was 7 1/2 months pregnant and out came me the next morning..

she also shot a dude once..

but that is not the point, it is a figure of speech

Old 03.25.2009, 11:26 AM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
He may have made a shitload of money with his band, but being in the hospital for MONTHS can rack up the bills. Hell, my grandpa took a test the other day that tested his ears and that cost $2500 (I mean, he has insurance, but he still has to pay quite a bit of that)! Hospital bills may not seem like much but considering dude's been in there for, what, about 5 months now?

There are a million things out there worth donating to (and not worth donating to)... I generally donate to things that feel right to me, personally. I'll probably end up donating a little bit to this. That doesn't mean you have to. I dunno, it's not hard to donate a few bucks to a guy who plays in a band I like.

you guys are living in a fantasy world, when you are on a major label you have major bills for production, record label staff, tour crew, payolla etc etc..
that and you have to split the royalties 6 ways, and further I'm sure bassists don't get a good cut, chi probably got something like Krist and Dave when kurt took 75%..

in other words, I doubt chi got anything more than enough to buy his house and his car and enjoy his life a bit.. and further, it is bullshit to compare the worth of charities..

jesus, its as I said, If you have nothing nice to say, dun say anything at all

Old 03.25.2009, 11:42 AM   #17
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I think that people may be overestimating Mr. Cheng's net worth vs. the hard (and very expensive) cost of just a single day in the ICU (or even a long-term acute-care facility where most coma patients are sent).

being a musician, he is most likely uninsured and facing a devasting hospital bill.

in fact, I think that the stated goal of $20k will fall very short of what's needed.

depending upon what was done when he arrived at the ER, he could easily owe up to half a million, even if he walked out of there tomorrow. I'm not sure how popular you guys think the deftones are, but I doubt he's rocking that kind of pocket change.

hard times imo.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2009, 12:07 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I think that people may be overestimating Mr. Cheng's net worth vs. the hard (and very expensive) cost of just a single day in the ICU (or even a long-term acute-care facility where most coma patients are sent).

being a musician, he is most likely uninsured and facing a devasting hospital bill.

in fact, I think that the stated goal of $20k will fall very short of what's needed.

depending upon what was done when he arrived at the ER, he could easily owe up to half a million, even if he walked out of there tomorrow. I'm not sure how popular you guys think the deftones are, but I doubt he's rocking that kind of pocket change.

hard times imo.

fe real. A platinum album barely generates $500,000 in royalties before splitting three ways.. and further, people forget that WHITE PONY came out nearly a DECADE ago.. so that is roughly 100,000-150,000 album sales a year... not very much profit for the band there when unit royalties tend to be..

"Currently, the statutory rate is $.08 for songs five minutes or less in length or $.0155 per minute for songs that are over five minutes long. So, for example, a song that is eight minutes long would earn $.124 for each recording sold."

"So, here is how it looks so far. Let's say a CD sells for $15. Right away we deduct 25% from that for packaging, which makes the royalty base $11.25. Now let's say our artist has a 10% royalty rate and that his CD sells one million copies. That sounds great! The artist would earn $1,125,000! Except 10% of those were actually freebies, so we really have to calculate that royalty based on 900,000, which makes the royalty $1,012,500, and of course, there are few costs we haven't talked about yet. "

Old 03.25.2009, 05:20 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm confused. You quoted my post, with a disagreeing reply, but then floatingslowly said nearly the same thing I said, and you agreed with him. The hell?

Either way, forget all the numbers, the politics, and everything else here. If people want to donate, cool. If not, cool. Thanks for posting the original post and bringing this to our attention.

Old 03.25.2009, 05:32 PM   #20
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

is the US healthcare system really that fucked that you have to pay for every little thing? everywhere else in the world has free or close to free healthcare as a human right... maybe his family should move him to london

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth