Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Can somebody recommend me some philosophic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Magublafix
children of satan

Magublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's asses
I want to read some philosophical stuff...
Please recommend me some writers with interresting theories.....

thx...
Old 04.24.2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yay! Usually I get to these threads too late, and someone's already tainted your mind with existentialism, which is arse.

If you're not too acquainted with philosophy, there's lots of introduction to philosophy type books which you can pick up to give you a taster of what you might be interested in finding out more about. A lot of people scorn the Begginers [insert philosophy/ philosopher] but I happen to think they're quite useful if you don't want to read, say, Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit.

There are a few books which have wonderful narratives which suggest or explain a philosophy - for instance, Kierkegaard's 'Either/ or' (or any of his), Nietzsche's 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' or Camus' 'The Plague/ The Fall/ The Outsider' - I happen to like the former best, but lots of people prefer the outsider.

If you're looking at getting an overview of philosophy 'from the horses mouth' (as it were), then any of these are pretty much indisposable -

Plato - Last days of Socrates; The Republic
Aristotle - The Nichomacaen ethics (sp?); The Politics; The Metaphysics.
Descartes - Meditations
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason; Critique of Judgement.
Hegel - Phenomenology of Spirit
Nietzsche - Pretty much anything by him should give you an idea of what he's about, but you probably don't need the last few he wrote.
Adorno - Negative Dialectics.
*Edit: Sartre - Being and Nothingness
Heidegger - Being and Time

*These last two I really hate but are very important to philosophy. This list is by no means exhaustive, and I'm sure that Atari or some other people here will come and add some that have temporarily slipped my mind.

To be perfectly honest, you should avoid Hegel, Adorno and Kant until you've read quite a bit on the subject - while they are absolutely necessary, you probably won't get them immediately. In fact, if you meet anyone who has read and understood all of Hegel, they're either a liar or a genius.

But the best advice I can give is to read an introduction to philosophy-type book, find out what you're interested in and follow that up. Most of all, don't let yourself be baffled or overwhelmed by the books - I've been studying philosophy for most of my adult life, and I still pick up some books and fail to understand them on first reading.

Or were you looking for people to explain their favourite theories to you? I can wax lyrical about a couple of my favourites if that's what you're after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Magublafix
children of satan

Magublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's assesMagublafix kicks all y'all's asses
Oh thank you for this long answer, it's more than i have expected...
Old 04.24.2006, 05:01 PM   #4
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka

http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
No worries, glad to be of some help. Just as an aside, I'll recommend these books (although they're abolute bastards to read)

Derrida - Writing and Difference - took me about 6 months and three readings to get it, but my mind was melted when I did.
Lyotard - Libidinal Economy - My favourite book bar none. Simply the most beautiful prose imaginable for what is quite dense philosophy.
Deleuze - A thousand plateaus - For the Sonic Youth link, it's really obvious that Kim was reading this while writing a thousand leaves.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.24.2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh, RipFrey, thanks for picking up on that, I can't believe I forgot that utterly essential tome for anyone wanting to know about anything.

Quote:
Old 04.24.2006, 05:06 PM   #7
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
No problem homes.
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:13 PM   #8
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yay! Usually I get to these threads too late, and someone's already tainted your mind with existentialism, which is arse.
--------

though i couldn't care less about philosophy (thanks to horrid teachers), i thought Sartre was an existentialist........

I might be so wrong there though.....
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:22 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
most philosophy before nietzsche is utter shit: covert theology

go straight for nietzsche:

beyond good and evil is awesome

then if you want to fill your mind with nonsense, work your way back to the past or "forward" to the present (as if there had been any improvement... but anyway...).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Although I may get shit for this...

If you're young and looking for something challenging but readable that could really impact your world view, you might want to read some Ayn Rand non-fiction. She is an "objectivist" and though I don't completely buy into the extremes that she preaches, it did do quite a bit of good for my willow wild mind when I was in my late teens and early twenties.

She doesn't even compare to the "greats", but just a thought for something a little different.

I really like "The Virtue of Selfishness" which has several authors (mostly Rand) discussing practical lifestyle tips on how to live a virtuous life in an irrational society.

Or you could just listen to the new Liars album and let your mind wander???
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
of course i have to reccomend existentialism
jean-paul sarter
bubar
kant
kierkegaard
nietzsche (still trying to remember how to spell his friggen name)

adler has some good non existential stuff.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 06:17 PM   #12
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
blaine pascal
Old 04.24.2006, 06:20 PM   #13
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I've tried reading Camus' The Myth of Sysphius, but I couldn't get it. I found myself re-reading the same page over and over, but that might be how most philosophy is.
I don't normally read philosophies. I would rather read Dostoyevsky as a philosopher.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
though i couldn't care less about philosophy (thanks to horrid teachers), i thought Sartre was an existentialist........

I might be so wrong there though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

*These last two [i.e Sartre and Heidegger] I really hate but are very important to philosophy.

You're not wrong, I do think Sartre's existentialism is one of the poorest excuses for philosophy; he is important enough to merit being read.

I should clarify - Sartre, in and of himself is not so unbearable - I merely have moderate antipathy; in and of the legion of people who read and misinterpret him I find him unbearable. He is the one that most people start on, and also the one that an overwhelming majority of new-to-philosophy types abuse for their own ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
most philosophy before nietzsche is utter shit: covert theology

And Thus Spake Zarathustra gets away from this criticism because it's less covert? I realise he criticise theology very heavily, but lets not forget that the concept of the superman is entirely concieved through religious notions. Rarely does a philosopher get away from theology with anything approximating conviction.

Quote:
Old 04.24.2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Nietschze is important as a precursor to the existentialists, but I consider him rather irrelevant now.

Derrida will poison you.

Read some books on mysticism instead of philosophy. Philosophy doesn't have any real answers.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2006, 06:49 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Nietschze is important as a precursor to the existentialists, but I consider him rather irrelevant now.

Derrida will poison you.

Read some books on mysticism instead of philosophy. Philosophy doesn't have any real answers.

Sigh. Any philosopher is important to the continuum of understanding - part of the point is that it will never have answers because it will never have simple question. If you're expecting philosophy to explain, in cold algebraic and ontological proofs, the nature of existence, then it will always fail to satisfy. But it's function is never to do that, philosophy operates on a field of understanding which is distinct (though not in its totality inseparable) from the understanding which post-enlightenment notions of science have imparted upon people. Such an expectation of philosophy is tantamount to philistinism or a kind of brute-naivety.

Quote:
Old 04.24.2006, 06:51 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Although you may be saying that Nietzsche is not currently in favour in philosophical circles, which is also wrong given the current interest in Deleuze, who wrote fairly extensively on Nietzshce. Now if you'd've said the same about Berkley...

Quote:
Old 04.24.2006, 06:52 PM   #18
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
philosophy operates on a field of understanding which is distinct (though not in its totality inseparable) from the understanding which post-enlightenment notions of science have imparted upon people.

So does mysticism. So does religion. In the end, though, using your mind is only mental masturbation. I prefer direct experience of the Real.

Old 04.24.2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

I'm saying that he is relevant only as a precursor to the existentialists...I also think the existentialists fail.

Old 04.24.2006, 06:58 PM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Yes. Mysticism provides one set of 'answers' for one set of people who have one set of understanding which appeals to them most. Religion, although often posited as a detraction or denial operates in a similar fashion. Philosophy endeavours to understand the general way in which understanding occurs throughout existence, which is in turn appealing to some. Mysticism and Religion are a naturally smaller field of understanding because their appreciation largely relies upon contingent factors such as culture or upbringing (&c). As soon as one endeavours to appreciate, but not involve oneself in, religions and myths from without ones own temporal confines, one is commiting an act of philosophy.

'Direct experience of the real' sounds like an elusive concept, certainly not one that would appreciate anything like a thorough investigation, although many believe they have asserted such. I don't mind too much if you want to think that, doesn't worry me in the slightest, but a Lacanian would shoot you down in flames for provocative statements like that.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth