Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jesus and Mary Chain touring
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.09.2012, 08:04 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article...e-for-us-tour/

What a great excuse to talk about this wonderful band. All things being equal, they're one of my favorite bands ever. I don't listen to them often, and when I do it's rarely for longer than the course of one album, but I love them so so so dearly!!

Psychocandy had such a massive impact on me! I refused to listen to the Cure (beyond singles) until I heard JAMC and they somehow put the Cure in perspective for me and I realized they weren't just some bland stadium pop band. JAMC also got me into Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine and others. So yeah this is probably like the 50th topic about them here, but THEY'RE TOURING NORTH AMERICA AND PLAYING SXSW!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2012, 09:28 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
My memories of the JAMC live is that, depending on their mood, they could be awesome or utterly tedious but never a bit of both. I only hope for your sake that they're in the right mood to produce the latter.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2012, 09:42 PM   #3
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
E., I've been circling back to these guys lately. Automatic is what got me into them, and I'm still very partial to that LP and Honey's Dead. I discovered Psychocandy and Darklands much later.
Old 02.10.2012, 01:33 AM   #4
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
My memories of the JAMC live is that, depending on their mood, they could be awesome or utterly tedious but never a bit of both. I only hope for your sake that they're in the right mood to produce the latter.

I agree entirely. The first time I saw them, touring Darklands, they were dull as ditchwater. The second time, which was effectively a greatest hits show about three years ago, was phenomenal. What a difference twenty years makes!
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them 1988 in Finland and quite like them, although everybody said afterwards they were very drunk! I just listened few days ago Stoned and Dethroned and it sounded quite nice! I have never been big fan, I think their songwriting has never been great, but the spirit and sounds in their albums are just great!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Sidewalking is my fave JAMC tune.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Sidewalking is my fave JAMC tune.

Mine's 'Blues From A Gun'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOim3J-jpU&ob=av2n

Love it, love it, love it. My favorite JAMC album is probably "Darklands".
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2012, 11:18 AM   #8
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
love this group, please please please come to boston. ill get you all the amphetamines you want
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
This is true.

I saw them in 1985 (supported by SY) and it was one of the gigs of my life. But then I saw them in 1998 and they were incredibly dull. I think it largely depends on how well they're getting on with each other on the day (are they both still in the band?).

I certainly wouldn't rush out to buy tickets to see them.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2012, 09:25 AM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Mine's 'Blues From A Gun'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOim3J-jpU&ob=av2n

Love it, love it, love it. My favorite JAMC album is probably "Darklands".

Yeah! I love Blues from a Gun. Feels to me like quintessential JAMC.

For albums I'm torn. I like them all. I still have to give the nod to Automatic, maybe largely out of nostalgia for the one that introduced me to them and that got me really turned on to what was going on in music at the time. I just picked it up on LP the other day. I have it on CD but I couldn't resist seeing this in LP form. Plain Recordings does a pretty nice job with repackaging some of this alt rock stuff from the late 80s and the 90s. They did an excellent job of repressing Loveless and Isn't Anything a few years back.
Old 02.11.2012, 09:37 AM   #11
gmku
invito al cielo

Sometimes when I think I can't listen to something, I'll force myself anyway just to see. I often find that I end up loving it, and it'll get me out of whatever listening rut I've been in. Can be a nice way to change things up.

I'm hooked on these guys for a while. I've got Psychocandy, Darklands, Automatic, and Honey's Dead on LP now, plus the
"Sidewalking" extended single (includes some live cuts) and Barbed Wire and Kisses (B-sides and other stuff).
Old 02.11.2012, 09:46 AM   #12
gmku
invito al cielo

I want Curve. None in my collection right now.
Old 02.11.2012, 09:58 AM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

http://youtu.be/eGp47YwDZ48

I love how the vids from Automatic use that 60s-like mod dancer in the background, like from a James Bond opening theme. I also love the Love t-shirt, and that they show a drummer even though they were really using a drum machine for this album.
Old 02.11.2012, 11:29 AM   #14
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad to hear so much appreciation for their later albums!

A lot of people just write off everything after Darklands.

Personally, I really like listening to the compilations. 21 Singles and ESPECIALLY Barbed Wire Kisses. I'm not sure why. But my favorite album-album is Darklands. Can't name my favorite song, because there are so many variations on the same basic song to consider!!!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth