Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Amy Winehouse's Rehab
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.12.2007, 04:17 AM   #21
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I can't separate Amy Whinehouse the public persona from Amy Whinehouse the musician, I'm afraid. "Rehab" is very catchy in a retro-swing kind of way, but Ms Whinehouse is a severe irritant whose personality negates any musical talent she may have. Oh, and she has a face like a very ugly horse.

OT - Only three posts to go to 4000, Nicfit. I hope your party will be as good as Screamingskull's.
Dunno, maybe here in Italy things are a bit different gossip-wise ( I don't think you see her pictures in gossip magazines and such), she could be much more overexposed in uk or usa, but the point is, saying her personality negates any talent is just wrong. And here I'm not talkin' specifically about Amy Winehouse (or is it Whine?), I speak on a general level. Kubrick surely wasn't a sweety pie (), does this lessen his value as a director? Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing them/their outputs, but I think that as long as I don't have to "deal" with an artist in person I don't care much about his/her human qualities/personality. After all, as I said before, what we "get" is just their marketed image most of the times.

OT bis : I should start setting up a place to party, uh?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 04:34 AM   #22
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It's probably no help, but I feel the same way about Lily Allen too. And Pete Doherty. There seems to be a certain type of musician that is more famous for his or her notoriety than for the music he or she produces. I heard interviews with Amy W(h)inehouse (just to clarify) before I heard any music by her, and her attitude just turned me off. And Lily Allen just keeps a high media profile for herself by slagging off other people, rather than by making good music (which I will admit she sometimes does). I have no time for that kind of crap.

Pete Doherty is (supposedly) going to perform at a concert that I'm going to on Sunday. I'm going to try to go with an open mind regarding him, but I can't help viewing him as a fool who would be more or less unknown were it not for his drug habit.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 04:48 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Her music is like mould that puts off from eating even the hungriest of flies. I knew she was public, but I wasn't aware that she had a personality to speak of. Paris is the way to go.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 04:53 AM   #24
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
There seems to be a certain type of musician that is more famous for his or her notoriety than for the music he or she produces.
That is true, but this does not affect their music. Their exposure for sure, but not their music.

Quote:
I heard interviews with Amy W(h)inehouse (just to clarify) before I heard any music by her, and her attitude just turned me off. And Lily Allen just keeps a high media profile for herself by slagging off other people, rather than by making good music (which I will admit she sometimes does). I have no time for that kind of crap.

So why bother listening/reading interviews and stuff they say? Maybe I'm just a lucky guy "locked" in his own mentality, but I always listen to the music (especially when it comes to "pop" music) without caring of the "public persona" (again, sorry I have a limited vocabulary) of the singer.
Now I'l stop posting here, time to party. ha ha. no, really, I already said almost all I could say on this subject. It's all a matter of points of views, but I think I'm lucky to have the "ability" to enjoy songs with no prejudices. YEAH cool!
Old 06.12.2007, 04:54 AM   #25
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
ace album, its a pop album for sure and if you are 'anti' pop then i'd say avoid but if you're open to the possibility of a pop album also being a good or great album then its a great collection of songs, beautifully sung and well produced (which is a m,iracle in itself considering half of it is mark ronson helmed). there's my oar.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 04:54 AM   #26
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Her music is like mould that puts off from eating even the hungriest of flies. I knew she was public, but I wasn't aware that she had a personality to speak of. Paris is the way to go.
The way to go to JAIL! ha!
Old 06.12.2007, 04:56 AM   #27
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
The radio is on every morning in our house, so I hear stuff regardless of whether or not I want to.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 05:01 AM   #28
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
The radio is on every morning in our house, so I hear stuff regardless of whether or not I want to.
If there's no chance to negotiate with your lady, try these:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/1167223...ng_Headset.jpg
Old 06.12.2007, 05:01 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
The way to go to JAIL! ha!

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 05:22 AM   #30
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i'm diggin the album, but i don't ever listen to radio or watch video hits type shows so my brain is non corrupted from the smegma, i think she has a great voice and the album is very well recorded and produced
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 05:35 AM   #31
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Love Lauren Hill
Hate Amy Winehouse

and in all my days as a sonic youth fan i never ever thought we would have a thread about god damn amy winehouse on here, it just doesn't fit.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 06:01 AM   #32
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself.

system of a down? tool? you're harping on amy winehouse, but you listen to a bunch of whining by maladjusted 30-30 somethings who can barely hold a fucking note? come on! you want to talk about one's public persona, then talk about the reverend maynard james keenan who, at the young age of 43, is still runs around stage in makeup and a speedo, all the while pretending to be subversive. the "cries of the carrots" indeed.

and despite the fact that sonic youth are on geffen, they very much so possess the indie rock aesthetic. sometimes it's less an issue of what label they're on and more the sound and attitude of a band, but who fucking cares if something's "indie" or not.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 06:06 AM   #33
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
Love Lauren Hill
Hate Amy Winehouse

and in all my days as a sonic youth fan i never ever thought we would have a thread about god damn amy winehouse on here, it just doesn't fit.
Looks like almost ALL uk boarders have something "against" her. Basically I agree with what TP said, but that's not a big deal.
Old 06.12.2007, 06:47 AM   #34
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
in the uk she is tooooooo overexposed
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 07:35 AM   #35
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
terminal pharmacy and nicfit have good points, many talented musicians are assholes, what matters is the music.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 08:29 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
on that subject

I once met a band... not going to name them, but Pitchfork loved them for like a month... kinda dancy band... really hyper first ep but then they kinda toned down... anyway, total fucking assholes, and it's hard for me to listen to them now. I can separate the music from the artist, but at the same time, if I find a band interesting and the people involved nice enough, then I'll probably give their music more of a chance than if they're complete jerkoffs. I can always admit if music is GOOD, despite the personality of the people involved, but it's harder for me to listen to bands when I despise their members... it's like not going to see a movie because Jared Leto's in it.. .that's understandable, right?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 08:48 AM   #37
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
who was it?? !!!???
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 09:05 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

thunderbirds are now

Old 06.12.2007, 10:12 AM   #39
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
on that subject

I once met a band... not going to name them, but Pitchfork loved them for like a month... kinda dancy band... really hyper first ep but then they kinda toned down... anyway, total fucking assholes, and it's hard for me to listen to them now. I can separate the music from the artist, but at the same time, if I find a band interesting and the people involved nice enough, then I'll probably give their music more of a chance than if they're complete jerkoffs. I can always admit if music is GOOD, despite the personality of the people involved, but it's harder for me to listen to bands when I despise their members... it's like not going to see a movie because Jared Leto's in it.. .that's understandable, right?

jared leto is a poohead to his fans, though. his shitty band plays quite frequently at the venue connected to the restaurant that my girlfriend works at and he's always a total asshole to the fangirls who hold him in such high regard. once he said "here, buy some of these fucking 30 seconds to mars underwear. they'd be good to keep your little pussy hairs in." then proceeded to blow her off. that's why he got gout.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2007, 10:18 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha.

that's kind of funny actually.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth