Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Why are SY so low down on festival lineups?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I was just thinking about this. Sonic Youth are quite a huge band. They are always talked about as one of the most important bands in alternative/indie music, so why are they so low down on festival bills? This is a band that headlined Lollapolloza in its hayday. But the last Lollapolloza they played on they didn't even headline!
Old 04.29.2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
Headlined Lollapolozo back when REM and Nirvana were the nation's most popular bands. These days what do you expect? I think they're better than KISS, in fact I think KISS sucks, but KISS was allowed to tour with aerosmith, I think it not fair, I wish Sonic Youth had done towered with aerosmith.
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 12:12 PM   #3
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
yeah, they played before flaming lips at lolla last year which would have been cool if the Lips were headlining, but i think it was mor elike 3 or 4 pm.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
It's just because more then 50% of the world has absolutely no taste in music whatsoever.
Old 04.29.2007, 01:21 PM   #5
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
It's just because more then 50% of the world has absolutely no taste in music whatsoever.
There's your answer.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 02:24 PM   #6
nick2767
bad moon rising

nick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's asses
perhaps hugely infuential but not in terms of sales.

and of course 'because more then 50% of the world has absolutely no taste in music whatsoever.' Excellent!
nick2767 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe the fact that a lot of modern day bands, a lot of pop acts today seem to be all about the business, money and image. A lot of bands don't play shows if they don't get their own way and don't get to be the headlining band. I think this plays a small factor in the whole Sonic Youth not headlining, because it seems they have that genuine, easy going approach and it's a competitive headlining business. I'm very tired, do I make any sense?
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 07:42 PM   #8
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Who was the headliner? In a lot of these festivals, a band that is reuniting is often the headliner, since thier reunion is a good excuse to make a big deal out of something, (I.E. The Pixies, The Stooges), a band like Sonic Youth who have been around consistantly for 20 years plus will get a top place, but not the headliner.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 01:10 AM   #9
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
cuz big festivals don't know shit, except when SY organise them...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I guess my question is really why they went from headlining Lollapolloza to not headlining a few years later. I mean really is their music that 'difficult'? SY are even easier than the Velvets (and you can be sure they would be headlining...rightly so) Everyone I play Incinerate to loves it. Even ordinary everyday pop fans (I use it to lure them into indie music). If Geffen had given them the push they deserved you would easily have had a top10 single. To make rather crude comparisons SY have at times written the kinda radio-friendly 'pop' singles bands like Razorlight and The Kooks only wish they could write.
Old 04.30.2007, 04:00 AM   #11
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
When promoters organise their festivals they want big names at the top of the bill that are going to get people buying tickets, and SY just aren't going to get that happening, so they're lower down the bill.

When SY headlined Lolla in 1995, they played after Hole and routinely saw the venues emptying before they played because everyone had seen the band they wanted to see.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I saw SY in two different festivals. Both gigs were wonderful (the 98 festival gig in Nancy seemed better than the 98 Paris gig they did on their own a couple of days later), and both times they were not a the top of the bill.

I figured it had motivated them all the more to play at their best, but I could be wrong.

In 2005, in Saint-Brieuc, their show was soo powerful that I couldn't bear to stay and listen to Luke (who?).

sonicl's comment about Lolla's right. Groups have to make choices.
There were lots of people attending An Pierlé's gig (Aulnoye-Aymeries 2006), and most of those people left the place by the time Liars took the stage.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Still I dont see why when I im playing a sonic youth record people think its difficult music, its not any more difficult to listen SY as Oasis (but far more enjoyable). Its like the velvets it has this thing that people who listen to it obviously must have a more refined taste and all thats elitist bollocks. Its insane its not like SY are Merzbow (I can certainly understand as brilliant as he is that the music you be described as 'difficult'). Hell most of SY's music is pop music.
Old 04.30.2007, 10:51 AM   #14
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It's not that SY play difficult music, it's just that SY's name isn't going to attract as many people as, say, QOTSA or Pearl Jam (to use two examples from this year's festivals).
Old 04.30.2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, Reading '91. you wouldn't see a line-up like this anymore (not in this order anyway):

Iggy Pop
Sonic Youth
Pop Will Eat Itself
Dinosaur Jr
Chapterhouse
Nirvana
Silverfish
Babes in Toyland
The Honeythieves

EDIT: Apparently Nirvana were as high on the bill as they were because of SY's influence? Don't know how true that is.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

I appreciate that sonicl. What I dont understand is why SY dont sell as many records anymore which would bump them up the list. Especially since they are producing arguable the most accessable music of their career. I'm not even saying I want SY to headline. Its just looking at it from Geffen's point of view, the money they could have made out of SY recently. Especially if they had got behind Incinerate as a single. It really makes no difference I just find it odd that Geffen a cruel, heartless corporation arent even good at making money anymore.
Old 04.30.2007, 02:11 PM   #17
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
It's not all about musical accessibility, or even music at all.
When SY hit their sales peak they were riding the grunge/alt rock wave, they don't really have the same buzz about them these days.

At this stage they're established. I think the wider world has respect for them (even if they don't know their stuff, just based on name and reputation) but I think it would take a lot of work, and money, to build some serious, large scale excitement around them.

That said I agree that geffen could have done something more with Incinerate, it was a catchy tune. I did hear it on commercial radio once though.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 03:30 PM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I never ever hear SY on the radio, Bull in the heather once or twice maybe.
They seem to be getting the "cult band" slots on the big stages about 5-6pm. Unfortuntately the popular musical climate of the moment isnt with them, the thing now is to be EITHER a reunited "legendary" band or a hot new thing. I wonder if theyd split up 15 years ago and come back now what the reaction would be.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 03:56 PM   #19
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I wonder if theyd split up 15 years ago and come back now what the reaction would be.

A very good point indeed... The Pixies weren't massive in their heyday were they? Yet a huge deal was made of their reunion tour... I think Sonic Youth would probably have been even bigger had they been reforming after years. I just think that a lot of artists benefit in terms of reputation from having a short lived career - Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix etc.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 04:04 PM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
A very good point indeed... The Pixies weren't massive in their heyday were they? Yet a huge deal was made of their reunion tour... I think Sonic Youth would probably have been even bigger had they been reforming after years. I just think that a lot of artists benefit in terms of reputation from having a short lived career - Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix etc.
I think you'll find it's the young "rock 'n' roll" death that benefits those artists reputation, not their short careers. Misunderstood martyrs will always have a captive audience.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth