Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Name an Album That Embodies Everything You Love About Music...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.11.2008, 05:04 PM   #61
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Tim Buckley - Dream letter live in London 1968

Because it's perfect and so beautiful.
Old 10.11.2008, 09:22 PM   #62
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Einstuerzende Neubauten - Haus der Luege
No filler tracks, an amazing title track, an amazing epic, lengthy song, makes me feel nostalgic, great percussion, fantastic vocals, great guitar work, the best guitar solo ever, I can listen to it three times a day and it won't bore me.
Probably my all time favourite album.
I'm not so sure now. What do I love about music? I guess it could be melody, but then again, melody isn't what attracts me to black metal or Einstuerzende Neubauten. I remember there was a thread awhile ago which was about dissonance and melody, and someone said they just like sound. So I guess I love music for its sound(s).
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2008, 09:36 PM   #63
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
These were the first few that popped into my head...

http://northernlion.files.wordpress....pg?w=300&h=293

Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2008, 11:51 PM   #64
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Television Personalities - And don't the kids just love it

Every track a gem.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2008, 01:01 AM   #65
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
How is music many different languages?

I actually thought I'd explained that in my post, albeit through implication rather than direct statement.

It has to do with why I find this topic impossible to actually completely answer. One album can't embody everything I love about music, because music means many different things and sometimes they are flat out contradictory.

One thing I love about music is perfect melody, another is dissonant noise, another is rhythm, another is minimalism, but then sometimes complexity can be very interesting too...

What makes Curtis Mayfield sound amazing to me is nothing like what makes Iannis Xenakis equally so. The music of John Fahey is not of the same language as the music of Public Enemy. I'm not even sure that the music of John Fahey's later work is of the same language as his acoustic folk albums.

When you use mathematics to convey meaning, there is really only one language you can use, though it is infinitely far reaching. Despite what John Williams and the director of Close Encounters of the Third Kind may have tried to say about music as a universal language, even if you keep the aliens out of the picture and just stay on Earth, there are often more musical languages in even one culture than spoken dialects.

In an effort to come as close to answering the topic question as possible I decided on The Velvet Underground & Nico because it somehow cohesively runs much of the gamut of what I love about music. Closer than anything else I could think of anyway. There are still languages it doesn't speak, however.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2008, 01:05 AM   #66
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
bee thousand
Old 10.13.2008, 08:04 PM   #67
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I actually thought I'd explained that in my post, albeit through implication rather than direct statement.

Ah well yeah, you did. Heh. This is just an interesting topic and you have a good way with words.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 08:15 PM   #68
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

It has to do with why I find this topic impossible to actually completely answer. One album can't embody everything I love about music, because music means many different things and sometimes they are flat out contradictory.

One thing I love about music is perfect melody, another is dissonant noise, another is rhythm, another is minimalism, but then sometimes complexity can be very interesting too...

What makes Curtis Mayfield sound amazing to me is nothing like what makes Iannis Xenakis equally so. The music of John Fahey is not of the same language as the music of Public Enemy. I'm not even sure that the music of John Fahey's later work is of the same language as his acoustic folk albums.

When you use mathematics to convey meaning, there is really only one language you can use, though it is infinitely far reaching. Despite what John Williams and the director of Close Encounters of the Third Kind may have tried to say about music as a universal language, even if you keep the aliens out of the picture and just stay on Earth, there are often more musical languages in even one culture than spoken dialects.

In an effort to come as close to answering the topic question as possible I decided on The Velvet Underground & Nico because it somehow cohesively runs much of the gamut of what I love about music. Closer than anything else I could think of anyway. There are still languages it doesn't speak, however.

You pretty summed up why I feel this question completely unanswerable
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 09:25 PM   #69
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses

nels cline trio's chest

the perfect mixture of a sonic youth aesthetic with a jazz and improvisors sensibility. an epic cd that ranges from atmospheric noise to jazz balladry to sonic youth rocking to free swing etc...

in all honesty i would a totally different musician had i never heard nels and this cd.

there is no singing or rapping on this so its missing those elements so.....

tara jane oneil - tjo tko

beautiful guitar playing and writing.

something from wu tang probably....

raekwon only built for cuban links
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 09:02 PM   #70
thindarkduke13
bad moon rising

thindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's asses
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Definitely the edgiest pop music in the early 70's. I consider it Prog-Pop. It shimmers and rocks at the same time
Find the last poor Preterite one . . .
Till the Riders sleep by ev'ry road,
All through our crippl'd Zone,
With a face in ev'ry Mountainside
And a Soul in ev'ry stone

Now Everybody -
thindarkduke13 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 06:53 AM   #71
James Blonde
bad moon rising

James Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard suckaJames Blonde cold hard sucka
James Blonde chose Bad Moon Rising.
James Blonde is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth