Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Smashing Pumpkins best and worst songs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.03.2006, 09:29 AM   #21
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
The pumpkins are okay in my opinion. Favorites are off Siamese dream and Mellon collie. I dont like Gish and havent heared anything else.

Love
An ode to noone
To forgive
Jellybelly
Here is no why
Tonight
Where boys fear 2 tread
Luna
Spacboy
XYU
Today
Mayonaise

etc....a few more
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 10:03 AM   #22
space_monkey
bad moon rising

space_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.satan panoski.com
space_monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 11:05 AM   #23
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I like Shame
I don't like shitload of songs by Smashing Pumpkins

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 12:27 PM   #24
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
im a huge smashing pumpkins fan. I keep enjoying them more and more when i listen to their cds.THey have so many good songs.

a few favorites:clones (cover), bodies, where boys fear to tread, by starlight, farewell and goodnight,bury me, said sadly,rocket, quiet, iam one,we only come out at night, my blue heaven

worst: hmm pretty muc everything that came out after mellon collie (although there are a few scattered good tracks on the last few records)
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 03:18 PM   #25
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=dazedcola] where boys fear to tread,quote]

shit forgot that one!

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 04:54 PM   #26
xpresswaytoyrskull
little trouble girl

xpresswaytoyrskull ain't too shabby
Best song: Hummer
and that's all there is to know.
xpresswaytoyrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 05:58 PM   #27
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
I was a big fan of SP long time ago...

for me the best are:

snail
hummer
obscured
landslide
la dolly vita
the boy
set the ray to jerry
aeroplane flies high
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:45 PM   #28
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I also really like the last song off of Mellon Collie. I'm so tired right now... is it called "Goodnight"? I'm singing to myself and I'm ready for bed.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 09:03 PM   #29
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Adore is their only album I don't have. I don't know whether it's supposed to be good or not.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 02:07 AM   #30
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
I'm surprised by all of the people who list "Bodies" among the best SP songs; I mean, seriously...what is the appeal of this song? Unless I'm listening all the way through, I almost always skip it in favor of "Thirty-Three".

Here's the 2-disc mix I made of my fav SP songs:

disc one:
1. Sinfony
2. Rocket
3. Rhinoceros
4. Cherub Rock
5. Zero
6. Today
7. Hummer
8. Weeping Willowly [instrumental, from late 1994 demo sessions]
9. Here Is No Why
10. Fuck You
11. Mouths of Babes
12. Tribute to Johnny
13. The Everlasting Gaze
14. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
15. Stand Inside Your Love
16. To Sheila
17. The Last Song
18. The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)

disc two:
1. Soma
2. Geek U.S.A.
3. Mayonaise
4. 1979
5. For Martha
6. Thirty-Three
7. Let Me Give the World to You
8. Siva [BBC Sessions, 9/91]
9. Drown
10. Silverfuck
11. Starla
12. Luna [acoustic]

There are lots of great songs left out, but it's such a solid collection that it blows me away at any rate. Songs I wish I could include:

Snail, Hello Kitty Kat, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, By Starlight, In the Arms of Sleep, The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete, Blissed and Gone, Wound [acoustic], Vanity, and Speed Kills.

As for worst songs....

Tales of a Scorched Earth, Lily, We Only Come Out at Night, Czarina, Where's Vince, The Crying Tree of Mercury, Annie Dog...to name some. Their later albums suffer from poor track selection, and great songs tended to be shelved for songs that fit whatever theme Billy was trying to fit. Adore and Machina suffer from this in particular, and songs like "Blissed and Gone", "Let Me Give the World to You", "Vanity", "Speed Kills", and "Glass Theme" got the axe while stinkers like "Annie Dog", "The Crying Tree of Mercury", and "The Imploding Voice" found their way onto albums. Dammit.
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 06:41 AM   #31
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, in fact they are probebly my favourite band

The Best
Rhinoceros, Snail, Hummer, Disarm, Soma, Mayonaise, Luna, Tonight Tonight, Zero, Here is no why, To Forgive, Galapogos, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, Bodies, Thirty-Three, 1979 (greatest song ever - soundtract to my youth), By Starlight, Marquis in Spades, My Mistake, Sparrow, Perfect, Tear, The Tale of Pistol Pete, Behold! The Nightmare, For Martha (always send shivers down my spine), The Everlasting Gaze, Stand inside your love, I of the Mourning, Try, Glass and the Ghost Children, Age of Innocence to name but a few
Old 08.05.2006, 07:12 AM   #32
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
BEST

Hummer
Geek USA
X.Y.U.
Snail
Set The Ray to Jerry

WORST

Raindrops+Sunshowers
The Imploding Voice
Tear
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 11:48 AM   #33
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
Really? I like MACHINA the best and I think Adore might come in second. Plus, I love the Zwan album.

Dude fucking ZWAN?????? wow dude shame
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:29 PM   #34
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i always liked 1979, lucky 13, slow dawn, here's to the atom bomb, set the ray to jerry, aeroplane fly's high, to forgive, drown, eye, ava adore, perfect, real love.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:24 PM   #35
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
I like SP although I don't listen to them much nowadays. Here's some of my favourites: The Aeroplane Flies High, Starla, Thirty-Three, Cherub Rock, Today, Hummer, Rhinoceros, Bullet With Butterfly Wings.
The worst are the final 4 tracks from Mellon Collie. I just can't stand them.
Old 08.05.2006, 10:19 PM   #36
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Where Boys Fear To Tread and Bodies off Mellon Collie are good. So are Cherub Rock and Geek USA. Real good songs. I tend to dislike their slower numbers. Billy Corgan's voice is not very melodic and is a bit whiny.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth