Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY's Criterion Faves
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2009, 06:45 PM   #1
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.criterion.com/explore/72

This is all well and good, but where's "Wild Strawberries"? I ask you. "Scenes From a Marriage," "Seven Samurai," "Yojimbo"...
Old 11.11.2009, 06:51 PM   #2
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
damn, I only know "night on earth".

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2009, 07:27 PM   #3
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Man, this is great. I've been working through all the Criterion's that I need to see (last one watched was Wages Of Fear, today it'll be A Band Of Outsiders) because they have most of them in my uni video library, so I'll definitely be checking these out. The Vanishing sounds like a must see. God I love Criterion...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2009, 08:09 PM   #4
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I agree the vanishing sounds pretty cool.
also lees suggestions sound great, and lee is a sure shot

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2009, 10:21 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Without looking, I know Lee likes Pierrot Le Fou. Lemme look.. EDIT: Fuck, it's not on there!

I didn't know Fat Girl was on Criterion. Since when? Um, anyway, Lee is free.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Without looking, I know Lee likes Pierrot Le Fou. Lemme look.. EDIT: Fuck, it's not on there!

I didn't know Fat Girl was on Criterion. Since when? Um, anyway, Lee is free.

I have over 20 Godards and Pierrot is my fav.

Oh wait, this thread is not about me.

Damn, some of those choices are favs for me though, and the others I want to explore.....cus SNY likes 'em.
Old 11.11.2009, 11:49 PM   #7
David Darwin
empty page

David Darwin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'd like to offer a correction (without seeming rude) to KG. It was Nestor Alemendros who shot Days of Heaven. Haskel Wexler did Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, Bound for Glory...
David Darwin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2009, 01:56 AM   #8
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
good list. there are a few that i have yet to see....
no 8 1/2?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2009, 02:03 AM   #9
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
The only ones I'm familiar with are Night on Earth and Ace in the Hole. Didn't really like Night on Earth, but I fucking love Ace in the Hole. I always tell myself to watch some Godard, never get around to it though.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2009, 02:28 AM   #10
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Godard's great.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2009, 08:00 AM   #11
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. Just finished watch Band Of Outsiders for the first time and it killed!
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 11.13.2009, 08:36 AM   #12
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I've only seen two of their picks... A few weeks ago I picked up a 12-DVD Godard box set for cheap, but I've yet to make my way through all that. I don't think Masculin Feminin is on there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
The Vanishing sounds like a must see. God I love Criterion...

I liked it, but because I had read the novel before I already knew how it was going to end. It's really one of those films that works best if you don't know anything about what's coming.
Just make sure you avoid the Hollywood remake by the same director, because he made some unforgivable changes to the story in that one.

Thurston also mentions Dark Blood, but that can't be found because it was never finished due to River Phoenix' death before shooting had ended.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
why is Armaggedon on Criterion?
That movie sucked so much fetid ass.
Old 11.13.2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
no fellini?
wankers...

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2009, 11:26 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I've only seen two of their picks... A few weeks ago I picked up a 12-DVD Godard box set for cheap, but I've yet to make my way through all that. I don't think Masculin Feminin is on there though.

I liked it, but because I had read the novel before I already knew how it was going to end. It's really one of those films that works best if you don't know anything about what's coming.
Just make sure you avoid the Hollywood remake by the same director, because he made some unforgivable changes to the story in that one.

Thurston also mentions Dark Blood, but that can't be found because it was never finished due to River Phoenix' death before shooting had ended.

Can you point me to this 12-dVD Godard set online?

I saw a 49-DVD one for like $50 (!) but half the movies weren't English-subtitled, and almost all were in some weird ass region.

Old 11.16.2009, 05:47 PM   #16
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Can you point me to this 12-dVD Godard set online?

I saw a 49-DVD one for like $50 (!) but half the movies weren't English-subtitled, and almost all were in some weird ass region.

49 DVDs for $50??? That sounds like some Chinese bootleg... mine was nowhere near that cheap.

I have this one:

A Bout du Souffle
Une Femme est Une Femme
Le Mépris
Pierrot le Fou
Le Petit Soldat
Made in U.S.A.
Alphaville
Prénom Carmen
Le Détective
Passion
Hélas pour moi
Godard Encore (bonus disc with interviews/documentaries etc on Godard)

I paid 20 euros which is really cheap for Dutch standards... but the exchange rate to $$$ isn't going to help you much I'm affraid.

All discs are PAL, region 2 and 4 (both regions for all discs) and include English subtitles. When I searched for the product code I only found Dutch and Belgian sites carrying it, so I reckon it wasn't released outside these countries... yet all discs are also suitable for region 4 and have subtitles in 7 or 8 different languages.

If any Dutch/Belgian boardies are interested, bol.com sells them for €25, which isn't bad either:
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/jean-luc...428/index.html
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2009, 09:45 PM   #17
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The ending of the Vanishing! OH MY GOD!!!! (latecomer I know...)
Old 11.16.2009, 11:40 PM   #18
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen a few of Lee's choices. Ali: angst essen Seele auf/fear eats the soul by Fassbinder is a really good film. Ozu's films are great as well. The Vanishing is really messed, but great.
thanks for posting this Jenn.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 04:22 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

pokk: Thanks, I found that set after looking online, I have most of those movies already, d'oh!

Highly reccomend Hélas pour moi and Pierrot Le Fou if you haven't watched em!

Old 11.17.2009, 06:59 AM   #20
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Good choices. Mamma Roma is amazing.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth