Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Best/Worst Sonic Youth Songwriter
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2006, 12:47 PM   #1
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Is it just me or does Lee come up with the most consistantly brilliant songs and Kim comes up with the worst? Thurston is the most prolific songwriter. he writes most of the songs. Kim writes the second most and Lee writes the least. Yet Kim comes up with crappier songs more often than Lee or Thurston. Any thoughts?
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, I like all three personally. Thurston's my favorite songwriter out of the three, and I like Lee and Kim evenly.
Old 04.27.2006, 01:18 PM   #3
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I think KIm has written some of the worst osngs, but over all they're all good. Lee's are always good, and most of kim and thurstons are good. Kim just has what i like to call hissy fits (mariah and the arthur doyle hand creme, plastic sun, etc).

But i also gotta say kim writes some of my favorites.. cross the breeze, bro james, shaking hell, shadow of a doubt, orange rolls angles spit, washing machine, the list goes on.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston is my favorite writer by far. Lee makes great songtexts but not so incredibly special, and Kim her texts are... well they're not that good.
Old 04.27.2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
I would have to agree. Lee only put out one song in Sonic Nurse & it rocked. I didn't like mariah and the arthur doyle hand creme song I felt like they should have put a Lee song instead. & to find out that in the UK promo Kim added an extra song makes me wonder is Lee writing enough song or is it that the other members in the band don't agree with Lee's songs, or can it be that Lee just wants to put his songs in his solo projects. All in all I think they all write great song but, if I would have to choose to who puts out my least fav SY song it would have to be Kim (sorry Kim just being honest).

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Lee comes from a quite 'classic' songwriting background, as he is far the most studied out of all the Sonic Youth guitarists; he had pretty much mastered EADGBE by the time he began experimenting with other tunings. Lee was also very into classic song structures, growing up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys in his teen years, as well as soaking up the era's beat poetry, which gave him the right knowledge to construct great songs as well as write the lyrics.

Thurston comes from a more punk background, coming of age as he moved into NYC- just as NYC punk was in it's best form. The Ramones, Blondie, Richard Hell, fuck, Glenn Branca were all around for Thurston to dig. Thats why he's so badass. Thurston isn't as studied as Lee is in terms of music. He was just about competent in EADGBE to start with by the time he started using alternate tunings.

Kim... I don't know. She's always been a painter and a writer. I think she combines the two for amazingly creative lyrics. Imagery is mostly the key to her writing, but she also has some country-ish influences as well as no-wave chants. I think you need an imagination to become immersed in the visions she has (or wants you to have).

They're all very different people.

I love Lee though.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Youth
I would have to agree. Lee only put out one song in Sonic Nurse & it rocked.

Thurston wrote that song.
Old 04.27.2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Youth
I would have to agree. Lee only put out one song in Sonic Nurse & it rocked. I didn't like mariah and the arthur doyle hand creme song I felt like they should have put a Lee song instead. & to find out that in the UK promo Kim added an extra song makes me wonder is Lee writing enough song or is it that the other members in the band don't agree with Lee's songs, or can it be that Lee just wants to put his songs in his solo projects. All in all I think they all write great song but, if I would have to choose to who puts out my least fav SY song it would have to be Kim (sorry Kim just being honest).

Lee's later stuff is definately amazing, and I like it better than stuff he produced in the early 90's. I think Mariah Carey was amazing though, it's one of the highlights of the album I think! It really grew on me.
Old 04.27.2006, 03:35 PM   #9
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Thurston wrote that song.
really?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 03:41 PM   #10
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Lee comes from a quite 'classic' songwriting background, as he is far the most studied out of all the Sonic Youth guitarists; he had pretty much mastered EADGBE by the time he began experimenting with other tunings. Lee was also very into classic song structures, growing up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys in his teen years, as well as soaking up the era's beat poetry, which gave him the right knowledge to construct great songs as well as write the lyrics.

Thurston comes from a more punk background, coming of age as he moved into NYC- just as NYC punk was in it's best form. The Ramones, Blondie, Richard Hell, fuck, Glenn Branca were all around for Thurston to dig. Thats why he's so badass. Thurston isn't as studied as Lee is in terms of music. He was just about competent in EADGBE to start with by the time he started using alternate tunings.

Kim... I don't know. She's always been a painter and a writer. I think she combines the two for amazingly creative lyrics. Imagery is mostly the key to her writing, but she also has some country-ish influences as well as no-wave chants. I think you need an imagination to become immersed in the visions she has (or wants you to have).

They're all very different people.

I love Lee though.
nicely done.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Old 04.27.2006, 03:58 PM   #11
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex
I think KIm has written some of the worst osngs, but over all they're all good. Lee's are always good, and most of kim and thurstons are good. Kim just has what i like to call hissy fits (mariah and the arthur doyle hand creme, plastic sun, etc).

But i also gotta say kim writes some of my favorites.. cross the breeze, bro james, shaking hell, shadow of a doubt, orange rolls angles spit, washing machine, the list goes on.

Thurston Moore wrote Plastic Sun. The lyrics, anyway. He also wrote Inneffible Me, another song occassionally refferred to as a Kim hissy fit.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 04:03 PM   #12
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
The answer is obviously going to be Kim as the worst; Thurston as the best.
I don't think Lee has had a fair share of songwriting priveliges.
As for Kim, she just hasn't written anything outstanding.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 04:20 PM   #13
hey alex
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Thurston Moore wrote Plastic Sun. The lyrics, anyway. He also wrote Inneffible Me, another song occassionally refferred to as a Kim hissy fit.
that's another one i can attribute it too... makes sense, i knew they swapped, but not on those songs. I too write songs I'd want a girl to sing.

Old 04.27.2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex
nicely done.

Thanks. Hah, reps, people, reps?

And yes, Thurston did write Paper Cup Exit.
Old 04.27.2006, 04:48 PM   #15
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
I sometimes misjudge Kim because of the way ATL was kinda ruined by the out-of-place Kim songs. However, any of the early albums would definalty not be the same w/o Kims songs. You can always skip songs, but you cant add ones, so i dont hold anything against Kim. But Orange Rolls sucks horrribly.

Thurston has had alot of bad songs too IMO: 100%, Screaming Skull, Junkies promise, mostly the early-mid nineties era held little sassy songs by him.

Lee is the most consistant of the three, but he lacks the material. Maybe he would have the same problem if was forced to produce as large a quantity of songs.

With that said, id like to say Thurston is my favorite.
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:10 PM   #16
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
by the way mariah and arthur doyle...as a tune rocks! i din't like it at first, but then, when i heard it live it was amazing. an in connection with that lyric it's ment to be like funny lyric therefore i can't look at it as it ment to be or should be some kind of "serious" piece of "poetry". it's hard to say who i like most, coz each of them have some great lyrics. it's impossible to choose in my case.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:27 PM   #17
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I hate lee's songs. Kims earlier writings were amazing: Shaking Hell, Early American, Halloween.
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:40 PM   #18
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i like lee's stuff the best and i like kim and thurston equally
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 05:44 PM   #19
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
lee it seems very rarely writes the basis of the song but writes parts that complement the skeletal song that thurston brings even on some of the songs he sings.

like skip tracer-thurston song-
whorefrost thurston song-

right now mote, beauty lies in the eye and lee #2 are the only sonic youth songs that lee wrote the meat of the tune.

definitely looking forward to his solo songs cd.

matt
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 06:01 PM   #20
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Uh, Lee wrote both of those songs. Scattered parts of Hoarfrost are all over 'Road Movies', as are parts of Skip Tracer.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth