Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2019
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2019, 11:09 PM   #121
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Out April 26: Marissa Nadler & Stephen Brodsky, Droneflower. Dude, I really like Marissa Nadler but what the fuck is up with that Drunks n' Poseurs shit — I mean, NO!

Quote:
Droneflower is in bloom. The new collaboration between Marissa Nadler and Stephen Brodsky (Cave In, Mutoid Man), is a sprawling and expansive exercise in contrasts. It is the sound of the war between the brutal and the ethereal, the dark and the light, the past and the present, and the real and imagined.

Brodsky met Nadler for the first time in 2014 at Brooklyn's Saint Vitus Bar when he came to see her play on her July tour, and they quickly became friends. Both of them had been wanting to explore songwriting that didn't fit into their existing projects, and they soon became energized by the prospect of working together. One of the first ideas they discussed was a horror movie soundtrack, and while Droneflower isn't that, it is a richly cinematic album. It's easy to imagine much of the record set to images, though it wasn't composed that way.

The first song that came together was "Dead West," based around a beautiful acoustic guitar piece Brodsky wrote while living on Spy Pond, just outside of Nadler's home base in Boston. By the time they started working on the song earnest, Brodsky had moved to Brooklyn. Nadler added lyrics and vocal melodies remotely, and even from a distance it was obvious there was real kismet in the collaboration.

All the songs on Droneflower were recorded in home studios, and they throb with the frisson of that intimate environment. For much of the recording process, Brodsky would stop by the ramshackle studio that Nadler set up in Boston whenever he was in town visiting family. Songs like "For the Sun" were written on the spot there, lyrics and all. The lush ambient pieces "Space Ghost I" and "Space Ghost II" began as Brodsky piano compositions and were later fleshed out by additional instrumentation and Nadler's inimitable vocals.

Nadler and Brodsky also recorded two cover songs for the album — the epic Guns n' Roses power ballad "Estranged" and Morphine's beguiling "In Spite of Me." Since childhood, Nadler had been transfixed by the "Estranged" video where Axl Rose swam with dolphins, and she and Brodsky breathe new life into the song here. Their take on "In Spite of Me" is invigorated by a guest appearance from Morphine saxophonist Dana Colley, who ironically didn't play on the original recording but is indispensable on Nadler and Brodsky's version.

https://marissanadler.bandcamp.com/album/droneflower

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2019, 11:18 PM   #122
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Out... well, back in 2012, but apparently it's just been reissued: Elliott Smith, Alternate versions from Either/Or 7".

1. - Alameda (alternate version)
2. - Ballad of Big Nothing (alternate vocal)
3. - Angeles (alternate version)
4. - Punch and Judy (other version)

https://elliottsmith.bandcamp.com/al...from-either-or

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 03.20.2019, 12:27 PM   #123
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Efrim Manuel Menuck & Kevin Doria announce new album are SING SINCK, SING

Efrim Manuel Menuck & Kevin Doria

are SING SINCK, SING

CST144
180gLP / DL
Out 10 May 2019

TRACKLIST:
1. Do The Police Embrace?
2. Fight The Good Fight
3. A Humming Void An Emptied Place
4. Joy Is On Her Mount And Death Is At Her Side
5. We Will

PREORDER HERE

Stream the first advance track
“We Will”
on your platform of choice

<a href="http://singsincksing.bandcamp.com/album/are-sing-sinck-sing">are SING SINCK, SING by SING SINCK, SING</a>

Efrim Manuel Menuck *– founding member of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Thee Silver Mt. Zion – and Kevin Doria from Growing and Total Life are now officially a duo. Menuck recruited Doria to help him translate his acclaimed 2018 album Pissing Stars from the studio to the stage, and the pair have been touring under the Efrim Manuel Menuck moniker for the past year (often with Doria’s latest solo project KGD opening the proceedings). They’ve also been co-writing piles of new material, diving deeper into whirling maximalist electronics, still shot through with Menuck’s incantatory singing awash in plaintive distortion and hope.

Efrim Manuel Menuck & Kevin Doria are SING SINCK, SING presents the first volume of songs forged from this febrile and fertile merger: an antifascist poetics of sound that unspools across five crushing, keening tracks driven by thick sweeping drones, battered by inscrutably searching, ricocheting vocals. Anguish, yearning, and desperate conviction combine in these saturated survivalist electro-hymns, for as long as the power stays on to overload the amplifiers.

WE STARTED PLAYING TOGETHER IN THE DARK WINTER OF 2017. 6 OSCILLATORS AND 3 LARGE AMPLIFIERS. DROVE THRU HELLA BLIZZARDS AND/OR HEATWAVES JUST TO LAND IN SMALL ROOMS, VIBRATING. A SERIES OF SHORT TOURS, A PROCESS OF FIGURING OUT WHILE EXHAUSTED WHILE HURTLING WHILE WORRIED. EVERYTHING ILLUMINATED EVERYTHING DESTROYED. WE LANDED IN MEXICO CITY LAST FALL, WROTE THIS RECORD QUICKLY WHILE THE POLICE DROVE ROUND AND ROUND. FIRST SONG IS SELF-EXPLANATORY. 2ND SONG A STATEMENT OF INTENT. THIRD SONG IS AN EMPTY SPACE BETWEEN TWO HIGHWAYS. FOURTH SONG IS ABOUT A MURDERED FOREST. FIFTH SONG INSISTS THAT WE WILL WIN. HOLD ON. THO THESE TIMES ARE DARK TIMES. HOLD ON. – E.M.M./K.G.D (SING SINCK, SING)

As the title suggests this is also an interstitial album of sorts, an identity-bridge that leads away from Menuck as ‘solo’ artist and towards SING SINCK, SING which will be the new band name for future work by the duo. Thanks for listening.

EFRIM MANUEL MENUCK & KEVIN DORIA SPRING/SUMMER TOUR DATES

DD/MM/YY PLACE VENUE

09.05.19 Montréal, QC Le Ritz PDB

10.05.19 Toronto, ON The Burdock

11.05.19 Hamilton, ON Christ Church Cathedral

16.05.19 Brooklyn, NY Murmrr

25.05.19 Biarritz, FR Festival Usopop

27.05.19 Limoges, FR Le Phare

31.05.19 Zottegem, BE Dunk Festival

01.06.19 Amsterdam, NL Best Kept Secret Festival

02.06.19 Barcelona, ES Primavera Festival

03.06.19 Poznan, PL LAS

04.06.19 Berlin, DE Arkaoda

06.06.19 Brussels, BE Botanique Rotonde

07.06.19 Diksmuiden, BE 4AD

09.06.19 Paris, FR Villette Sonique

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2019, 08:28 PM   #124
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

A dog person and a cat person making music together? Heresy!

Old 03.22.2019, 12:08 AM   #125
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Another HOLY CRAP moment for me. Out May 24: Cate Le Bon, Reward.

Quote:
It was on a mountainside in Cumbria that the first whispers of Cate Le Bon's fifth studio album poked their buds above the earth. "There's a strange romanticism to going a little bit crazy and playing the piano to yourself and singing into the night," she says, recounting the year living solitarily in the Lake District which gave way to Reward. By day, ever the polymath, Le Bon painstakingly learnt to make solid wood tables, stools and chairs from scratch; by night she looked to a second-hand Meers — the first piano she had ever owned — for company, "windows closed to absolutely everyone", and accidentally poured her heart out. The result is an album every bit as stylistically varied, surrealistically-inclined and tactile as those in the enduring outsider's back catalogue, but one that is also intensely introspective and profound; her most personal to date.

This sense of privacy maintained throughout is helped by the various landscapes within which Reward took shape: Stinson Beach, LA, and Brooklyn via Cardiff and The Lakes. Recording at Panoramic House [Stinson Beach, CA], a residential studio on a mountain overlooking the ocean, afforded Le Bon the ability to preserve the remoteness she had captured during the writing of Reward in Staveley, Lake District.

Over this extended period a cast of trusted and loved musicians joined Le Bon, Khouja and fellow co-producer Josiah Steinbrick —Stella Mozgawa (of Warpaint) on drums and percussion; Stephen Black (aka Sweet Baboo) on bass and saxophone and longtime collaborators Huw Evans (aka H.Hawkline) and Josh Klinghoffer on guitars— and were added to the album, "one by one, one on one". The fact that these collaborators have appeared variously on Le Bon's previous outputs no doubt goes some way to aid the preservation of a signature sound despite a relatively drastic change in approach.

Be it on her more minimalist, acoustic-leaning 2009 debut album Me Oh My or critically acclaimed, liquid-riffed 2013 LP Mug Museum as well as 2016's Crab Day, Cate Le Bon's solo work —and indeed also her production work, such as that carried out on recent Deerhunter album Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared? (4AD, January 2019)— has always resisted pigeonholing, walking the tightrope between krautrock aloofness and heartbreaking tenderness; deadpan served with a twinkle in the eye, a flick of the fringe and a lick of the Telecaster.

The multifaceted nature of Le Bon's art —its ability to take on multiple meanings and hold motivations which are not immediately obvious— is evident right down to the album's very name. "People hear the word 'reward' and they think that it's a positive word" says Le Bon, "and to me it's quite a sinister word in that it depends on the relationship between the giver and the receiver. I feel like it's really indicative of the times we're living in where words are used as slogans, and everything is slowly losing its meaning." The record, then, signals a scrambling to hold onto meaning; it is a warning against lazy comparisons and face values. It is a sentiment nicely summed up by the furniture-making musician as she advises: "Always keep your hand behind the chisel."

https://catelebon.bandcamp.com/album/reward

http://www.catelebon.com/

Old 03.22.2019, 07:01 PM   #126
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Out March 22: Ex Hex, It's Real.

From Bandcamp Daily:
Ex Hex's Mary Timony is Real

Very nice article/interview. And pics.

Old 03.22.2019, 10:04 PM   #127
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
From Bandcamp Daily:
Ex Hex's Mary Timony is Real

Very nice article/interview. And pics.

It's a really fun album. Mid-80s style songwriting with punk delivery, hooks galore and Mary's guitar playing. It's very clearly retro, but super enjoyable for anyone who's a Mary fan.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2019, 06:29 PM   #128
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
It's a really fun album. Mid-80s style songwriting with punk delivery, hooks galore and Mary's guitar playing. It's very clearly retro, but super enjoyable for anyone who's a Mary fan.

The Wire called it the best album of Mary's career — Autoclave, Helium and solo work included (!).

Old 03.26.2019, 10:36 PM   #129
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
it is really good!

Today I was extracting the audio from my CD to FLAC and noticed that the CD-text data has The World Goes as the album's title. All other information (artist name, track titles) is correct, so I wonder whether that was the working title and Gunn decided to change it near the end, but nobody modified the metadata.

Old 03.27.2019, 04:50 PM   #130
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The Wire called it the best album of Mary's career — Autoclave, Helium and solo work included (!).

Woah! I can't go with them there when we have The Dirt of Luck, The Shapes We Make and Wild Flag... but it is great for sure.
Old 03.29.2019, 02:55 PM   #131
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Sigur Rós Announce Massive Ágætis byrjun 20th Anniversary Box Set - Pitchfork
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2019, 07:05 AM   #132
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
SOME BECAME HOLLOW TUBES

​Keep it in the Ground

Some Became Hollow Tubes floating in the ocean.

6 self recorded improvised drone rock waves from Eric Quach (thisquietarmy - relentless DIY powerhouse) and Aidan Girt (Godspeed You! Black Emperor).

Chords loop, pedals get pushed, pounding drum parts get added and subtracted, it starts quiet and gets loud. Eric no longer needs to worry about the rhythm, Aidan no longer has to worry about the song structure. All four ears stay cocked and listening even if neither of them are very good at keeping eye contact.

One life to live, pound drone and loop this moment into the present, hahaha lets keep joking, it's ok.... the music has our sadness. This world is dying, the machines are getting better and better at eating material things to create nothing and all we can do is make wordless music in response.

PERSONNEL:
Aidan Girt - Drums
Eric Quach - Guitar, FX, Synths

Recorded behind the meat shop in an old sexy car wash.
Additional overdubs done at TQA HQ.
Mixed at The Pines
Mastered by Harris Newman at Grey Market.

Photography by Meryem Yildiz
​Layout/Design by Eric Quach

GZH90
June 21st 2019
LP / Digital

NOTES:
LP is a limited edition of 300 copies on Bone coloured vinyl. Housed in a heavyweight, 350gsm, matte-finished sleeve.

Initial pre-orders come with a limited edition postcard print. Hand-printed and numbered by SmilingPaperGhosts.

Old 04.06.2019, 05:24 AM   #133
Kuhb
children of satan

Pitchfork gave the reissue of Autoclave's self-titled a well deserved writeup. This album still blows me away https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ave-autoclave/
Old 04.06.2019, 05:58 AM   #134
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
Pitchfork gave the reissue of Autoclave's self-titled a well deserved writeup. This album still blows me away https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ave-autoclave/

I'm so bad at musical genres. I always thought that Helmet is math rock. This doesn't sound like Helmet at all. It's cool stuff, I never heard of them. It reminds me more of Sebadoh and Bettie Serveert with more math or whatever put into it.

Speaking of reissues, the Ideal Crash of dEUS will be rereleased later this month in a special 20th anniversary edition, remastered and an extra disc of demoes atc.

Old 04.13.2019, 08:47 PM   #135
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Speaking of reissues [...]

...Ut's Conviction has been remastered and reissued on CD and limited edish LP + 7":

Quote:
Conviction LP

Originally released in 1986
Recorded and Made Possible By Tim Hodgkinson at Cold Storage, with Bill Gilonis, Charles Bullen and Chris Gray, except "Sick" recorded at Berwick Street Studios. Remastered by Dominique Brethes at Wolf Studios.

Produced by Ut

Ut 7" Single

Recorded at Sorcerer Sound, Mercer St NYC in 1980
Engineered by Al Fierstein
Produced by Charles Ball and Ut

https://utmusic.bandcamp.com/album/conviction

Read on Bandcamp Daily:
The Collective Discordance of the No Wave Group Ut

Old 04.13.2019, 10:59 PM   #136
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

J Mascis has released a cover of Tom Petty's "Don't Do Me Like That". And why not?

https://jmascis.bandcamp.com/album/dont-do-me-like-that

Old 04.14.2019, 12:14 AM   #137
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
...Ut's Conviction has been remastered and reissued on CD and limited edish LP + 7"

I got it wrong: there's no physical release of this 7" ("Ampheta Speak"/"While I Wait", recorded in 1980 but never released), but both songs are included on the CD and in the fileset you receive with the LP (download code or immediately if you buy the vinyl via Bandcamp).

Old 04.21.2019, 12:09 AM   #138
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Sometimes (most of the time) all news is shit, and sometimes it's something phenomenal that you've been waiting for twenty. fuckin'. YEARS. (Seriously, I have). From Smog Veil Records:

Quote:
HERE WE GO:

OK FRIENDS: as many of you have surmised and/or read, all of us at Smog Veil Records have been working for the last 10 years to create the definitive Peter Laughner retrospective. I am pleased to announce that the box set is now in production, and the wait is nearly over.

In cooperation with Peter's estate and his many collaborators, the box set will contain the definitive statement of Peter's musical talents and additionally showcase his writings and the many works he created with a variety of talented friends. Smog Veil's research team has looked in every basement, attic, and corner to uncover numerous gems and we are pleased to be able to place Peter's work on display.

Many of the 56 songs contained in the release are seeing the light of day for the very first time. All songs have been carefully mastered and sonically upgraded from the best possible sources by the Grammy-nominated team of Jeff Lipton and Maria Rice at Peerless Mastering. The box set also contains a 100 page book of photos and writings. Two box set formats will be available: 5 LPs or 5 CDs, and both formats contain an identical box, book, and track listing.

Pre-sale for the box set will begin in May, and at that time, we'll reveal more details about the release. A special pre-order only bonus will be included and this bonus will not be sold separately or in stores.

I cannot thank enough the Smog Veil team and Peter's estate and collaborators for their diligence in creating this definitive work. The time and care they put into this release is without compare. Over the course of the last 10 years, the friendships we forged to make this release happen and the stories we collected reveal a history of Cleveland independent music that is the stuff of legends. I know our many fans will appreciate the release we are about to deliver and I thank each and every one of our fans for their patience.

As mentioned above, the box set is in production. Test pressings have been approved; all art and layouts have been completed by the team of Johnny Dromette and Ron Kretsch. We are awaiting the final book proofs and once those are approved, we'll be able to announce the release date.

We look forward to revealing more details, stay tuned here and at our Facebook and Twitter pages for more to come.

Come year's end, no need to vote for the best archival release of 2019, that's for shit fucking sure now... WOW.

Old 04.21.2019, 12:20 AM   #139
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out June 7: Peter Perrett, Humanworld.

Quote:
On his second album for Domino, Peter Perrett – former frontman of The Only Ones - continues to dissect romance and politics with his trademark sense of sardonic wit and wry humour, if not with even more vigour and a palpable sense of immediacy.

https://peterperrett.com/new-album-humanworld/

https://www.dominomusic.com/releases...mart-exclusive

https://peterperrett.bandcamp.com/

Old 04.21.2019, 12:45 AM   #140
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now (why didn't anybody tell me about this one? You people are evil): Randy Randall, Sound Field Volume One.

https://arthurking.bandcamp.com/albu...eld-volume-one

https://dangerbirdrecords.merchnow.c...eld-number-one

From Under The Radar (too long to quote here; nice read - he mentions Sonic Youth at one point):
No Age's Randy Randall on His Debut Ambient Album "Sound Field Volume One"

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth