Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ethnic, Racial, Religious, etc. Identity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2010, 02:36 PM   #21
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
right, but the criticism here is not aimed at those holding dual nationality but at N-th generation descendents of immigrants who still make a claim so some ethnic roots.

in part, these claims are an answer to the old notion i alluded to above that being "american" is, you know, blonde, blue eyed, apple pie, mayflower cunt.

on the other hand these claims often border in the ridiculous when people use them to have some kind of identity in the mass. but still, there are cultural traits carried by generations of non-WASPs, such as going to a school run by nuns, eating kliebasa, or celebrating strange holidays that mean little in its country of origin such as "cinco de mayo"

evolove asked if these terms were commonly used outside the u.s. and that's what i answered to.

as for what you are referring to, i can understand the criticism.
in my opinion it depends on the level of cultural engagement with the roots one still holds, rather than the psyhical appearence or level of descent.
if it's strictly a genealogical thing it doesn't make much sense.
verme (prevaricator) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 02:41 PM   #22
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I'd be rich enough to commission Lee Ranaldo to write me a song for each hour of my day

I thin you choose the wrong songwriter. Maybe Timbaland, William Shatner or Bon Jovi. Someone who does things blatantly for the money.
Old 02.15.2010, 02:47 PM   #23
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
***I use these terms loosely before someone gets up my ass***

I like the terms Italian American, African American etc. They work well within the subjective context. It is only relevant to the other person.

I have an Irish cousin who had never been to the US and was shocked at what passed for "Irish-American" in Boston. But it is only natural that they get absorbed into the larger culture.

Is American Chinese food really Chinese? Not so. The Chinese maybe 1/5 portion to rice. In North America, portion to rice might be 1/2.
Old 02.15.2010, 04:53 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes, what a blunder. we should keep calling them "niggers". our apologies to you.

No.. but he is absolutely correct here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
In the US, the term African-American is preferred by, mostly, well-intentioned but hopelessly naive whites..

I despise the term African-American. If is hopeless inaccurate. Most black folks in America have nothing to do with Africa, and in the US there are American citizens from African countries. Nigerian-Americans or Ethiopian-Americans are "African-Americans"

Black folks are black folks.

The real trouble with term African-American is that is used interchangeably, even with a single sentence, with "black" and "black Americans" etc etc

That is where I personally call foul. People don't say use racial descriptions as interchangeably as they do those for black folks, which in my view implies a bit of racism, not necessarily overtly negative, but racism none-the-less. To be overly conscious of a person's racial identity, and in fact draw an unnecessary amount of attention to it, is racism.

and as far as African-American goes, I generally ONLY hear that term used in class-room settings and discussions when a person is PURPOSELY trying not to offend a black person. If in your own mind you are comfortable saying "black" and would use the term "sans" black people around, the using another term is text-book racism. In fact, I wonder what African-American is a euphamism for in these folks, are they thinking nigger? Does black carry any negative racial connotations for them? Why can't they use it?

Truly black people do not colloquially refer to themselves as "african-americans" and they are not offended at being called "black" so long as offense was not the intention of the speaker.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 05:13 PM   #25
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
perhaps, after we're done quibbling over hyphens, we could address the real problematic words, that lie at the root of the issue.

those words are "us" and "them".
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 05:21 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
perhaps, after we're done quibbling over hyphens, we could address the real problematic words, that lie at the root of the issue.

seen.. that is why in rastafari word-sound-power the words "us" and "them" are taboo. We prefer the concept of "i-n-i" which is the ultimate manifestation of the universally inclusive idea of "we"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 05:44 PM   #27
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, yes, we're all basically the same, bleed red, have the same hopes, love our children, etc.

But I find ignoring distinctions--in other words, homogenizing the world--is dangerous. Differences should be celebrated. I had two points:

1- I wondered how differences are addressed in other countries
2- I critiqued how it's done in America, at least in reference to blacks

So far, one person has addressed the first and there doesn't seem to be much agreement on the second.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 05:45 PM   #28
verme (prevaricator)
100%

verme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's assesverme (prevaricator) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

these terms might have a segregative charge but they are not necessarily discriminative.
Old 02.15.2010, 05:57 PM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
those words are the basis for war, racism and crusades (war 2.0).
Old 02.15.2010, 05:59 PM   #30
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yes, yes, we're all basically the same, bleed red, have the same hopes, love our children, etc.

But I find ignoring distinctions--in other words, homogenizing the world--is dangerous. Differences should be celebrated. I had two points:

1- I wondered how differences are addressed in other countries
2- I critiqued how it's done in America, at least in reference to blacks

So far, one person has addressed the first and there doesn't seem to be much agreement on the second.

you're forgetting the part where you invalidated any claim to having a sensible opinion on the subject of terminology used to describe particular social groups by calling me a faggot.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 06:03 PM   #31
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I would like to add "hating on gays" to war, racism and crusades.
Old 02.15.2010, 06:05 PM   #32
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
you're forgetting the part where you invalidated any claim to having a sensible opinion on the subject of terminology used to describe particular social groups by calling me a faggot.

Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 06:06 PM   #33
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i'd like to know if suchfriends realises he's white.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 06:07 PM   #34
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

did he do that? where?

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 06:07 PM   #35
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
i'd like to know if suchfriends realises he's white.

Sshhhhh!! Don't tell him! If he finds that out it could destabilise the whole universe.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 06:09 PM   #36
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
did he do that? where?

he sent me a PM.
Old 02.15.2010, 06:13 PM   #37
verme (prevaricator)
100%

Quote:
those words are the basis for war, racism and crusades (war 2.0).
to me they just mean identity. people are different.
but yeah, i can see how one would make a problem out of that.

the word is 'prejudice'.
Old 02.15.2010, 06:15 PM   #38
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker

yeah, using south park as defense is like using hip hop to defend racism. it doesn't work.

i don't care about this anymore and already said everything on page 1.
Old 02.15.2010, 08:29 PM   #39
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Because I'm a male who has sucked a few cocks in his day, the only phobia I'll cop to is the fear of a poorly washed package. Nice try though.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2010, 08:34 PM   #40
ni'k
invito al cielo

you got me there, you're gay and also a dick about it to others. well done.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth