Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.20.2014, 03:45 AM   #21
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
yesterday after work i went to see MSHR from Portland.

While I did enjoy the visual and technical aspect of their show a lot, they couldn't really keep up with the music on a similar level.

They had all these sweet homemade boxes and diy stuff, most of which were equipt with optical sensors/controllers etc. So they fooled around with laser pointers, light bulbs sensory gloves and whatnot.
Very interesting and all but the music really lacked dynamics and the sounds they created weren't exciting to my ears.

Kinda like the latest Jarmusch flick, it had good ideas, tons of stuff in it I like, visually it was very appealing but somehow the outcome is.... mehh.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2014, 12:53 PM   #22
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
LAST WEEK:

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Photo was taken at the house of blues. I believe I'm where her right elbow and the dancer's(in pink) elbow meet. Like....the leak height of hands(me and my friend jumped for the photo like assholes). This show was amazing. We were finishing buying merch when she was marching out and was in the middle of the floor by the half of the first song. Got a great spot(thanks to my hands full o'booze technique) and fucking grooved for an hour and half. SHe had no opener so she just cme out and did her thang(with 2.5 costume changes). Everything was (of course) cute n bright n sweet. She was singing along to the track, but surprisingly she does actually sing. God that experience was so fucking great. The floor would feel like a trampoline when everyone was jumping along with Kyary....She spoke a little english(as expected), but what I found a little funny is how she would interact with the crowd in Japanese. like she would be saying so much...and like half the crowd would just be like 'woo'. But yeah...good thing I picked up my tickets early on. Look at that crowd! We were main floor(and got a great spot for getting there a bit late). Cutest experience of my life...if I have a guilty pleasure.....this is it.
(highlight songs that weren't her singles were SUPER SCOOTER HAPPY AND CHERRY BON BON mah faaaveesss)

THE FOLLOWING DAY!

Buffalo Daughter/Cibo Matto

(Buffalo Daughter joining Cibo Matto on stage for 10th Floor Ghost Girl)

I honestly wish Kyary wasn't the day before. I was still so hyped from the show(and the amazing burger I had earlier that day)....But Buffalo Daughter were great.....played Great Five Lakes and other groovey tunes that escape me now(including domo theme). Cibo Matto were wonderful. Started the set with Beef Jerky and sugar water. It was super neat...at first it was only Yuka and Miho...doing the Viva La Woman songs, then they started Check In. Then in the middle of the song the bassist and drummer join in and end with a kick ass groove. then they continue with the rest of the show. They did two of my favorites from stereotype a(moonchild and spoon)....and ended the set with Birthday Cake. The drummer was really layin' it down for Emerald Tuesday(chewsday). They were at the merch table after the show...so they signed my lp....:3 and got to have a few words....

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2014, 10:26 PM   #23
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Last night Mani Neumeier (drummer form Guru Guru) with Michio Yagi, followed by the trio of Peter Brotzmann (horns) Sabu Toyozumi (Drums) and Toshinori Kondo (trumpet and reverb) was a true mind blower. Both drummers in particular were incredible.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2014, 10:33 PM   #24
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Mani is a wonderful human being and an age-defying athlete of a drummer. An inspiration for living.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2014, 10:57 PM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
He's playing in a couple of days with Tabata and Makoto Kawabata, I'll be seeing that too.
Old 03.12.2014, 11:15 PM   #26
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
yo la tengo & dick diver at the corner hotel
not too big on this current 'quiet' set that they're playing when it's not rooted around their dronier pieces (night falls on hoboken, nowhere near, daphnia etc.) but fuck ira kaplan is still a badass guitarist. not only is he madly proficient in terms of both songs and melodic solos, when the bastard wants to skronk he kicks up a wall that could feasibly pass for haino or thurston. they're a very special band, nice to see them again.

after that I caught james ferraro at boney. predictably bizarre (https://soundcloud.com/abstract-muta...-march/s-UXqGs)

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2014, 11:16 PM   #27
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Say hi for me. Dunno if he will remember me, but he was truly one of my all time favorite "music hero" personal meetings. I carry that experience with me to this day and I really hope I will cross paths with him again someday.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2014, 12:19 AM   #28
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
This tour is the 40th Anniversary for, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.'

The show started with him playing Side A of the album: Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding, Bennie And The Jets, Candle In The Wind. They also played: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Grey Seal, All The Girls Love Alice, Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock & Roll), Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting.

My wife and I so enjoyed sharing this concert with our daughter (she is so ready to go see Elton again). More important, she enjoyed the band and hearing the songs played live like she has never heard before.

I'm sure many of you probably think Elton is the biggest waste of time and money, but I've been hooked for many-a-year and sharing it with my daughter was something extra special tonight!

The best part about today, having a ten minute drive home : )

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2014, 06:14 PM   #29
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Last night I went to see Los Doroncos which is a newish band by a guy who was in Les Rallizes Denudes and he's backed by Masami Kawaguchi, a girl from Maher Shalal Hash Baz plus one other guy. There are two versions of the band AC and DR which I presume signifies acoustic no drums or electric with drums, we saw the AC version play to a packed house of 14 people, no joke the venue was so tiny that with 14 people it was hard to move and the bar was also the stage.
The music sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XguMTkL7esk

After the show about half of the other audience members were curious to find out how some foreigners had found their way to such a tiny venue to see a band that only plays to 11 japanese, they were inviting us to various places that unfortunately we won't be able to go to as we leave on Wednesday. But yeah, it was great fun although it was hard to stay as although smoking is not really permitted in the streets anymore here (only in certain designated smoking areas) smoking is still permitted in bars, restaurants and clubs, so being stuck in a tiny room with 7 or 8 smokers was too tough on our soft western eyes and throats so we had to skeedaddle to a nearby karaoke house, which to my surprise had 11 Sonic Youth songs to choose from.
Old 04.06.2014, 04:05 PM   #30
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Oh shit! Yer in Tokyo already?! Shit! That's awesome!! And sounds fun! Post more about it please.

Last nght I went to see St. Vincent. I've only heard a few songs before...but I dug what I've heard(especially that song grot). She kicked butt. Her voice was amazing and her guitar was killer. There were a couple songs that i didn't like(one about a cheerleader?) but overall the show was pretty gosh darn awesome. She also covered dumb
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2014, 06:25 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Got back from Tokyo two weeks ago.

Ate loads of amazing food, saw some beautiful countryside, went to three great gigs, picked up a load of records, tapes and CDs, including a copy of New Blockaders - Changez Les Blockeurs (an all time want, but never thought I'd find type record), caught up with a few old friends, explored various nooks and crannies of Tokyo.... realised as great a place as Tokyo is Japan is a pretty fucked up country in terms of sexism, freedom of speech, organised crime, how the majority of japanese are bunch of conformist babies who won't speak out about what is messed up in their society.
Old 04.06.2014, 07:25 PM   #32
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Crosses on vacation in Portland.

I've been listening to Crosses since they came out. Its deftones meets isis meets far. Its the shit.. The music was surprisingly loud and fierce live.. The energy was not what I could expect, and the crowd was feeling it even though its a different scene. Definitely a a great show..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2014, 07:35 PM   #33
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Wayne Shorter on Friday.

His band was absolutely fucking incredible, he was pretty damn good but his age was obiously preventing him from playing to his fullest ability (he's 80).
It's not that he ever played poorly, he just didn't exactly play frequently or for very long. That said it was a mesmerizing performance, his sparse sax solos informed the music in a way that made the whole thing feel very transcendent.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2014, 06:39 PM   #34
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Red Fang a few hours ago. Great shit. Beer soaked music.

Also the supporting band, demonic death judge, was good sludgy buzz.
demonicdeathjudge.bandcamp.com
Think of weedeater and shit.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2014, 04:37 AM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

I went to see Circle last week but had to leave after 20 mins because I had an attack of crazy diahorrea.
Old 04.09.2014, 06:23 AM   #36
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I went to see Circle last week but had to leave after 20 mins because I had an attack of crazy diahorrea.

Oh shit. Was it circles fault? I was thinking about going to see them tomorrow but never was a huge fan of theirs.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2014, 01:37 PM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

They are worth seeing live. I've never checked out their records but from what I've been told they don't really capture the live show.
Old 04.11.2014, 04:01 PM   #38
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
saw british sea power in camden last night
was really good - lots of people singing along and dancing - a proper good night
they're good everytime i see them and although last night was no where near the best i've seen them
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2014, 04:32 PM   #39
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
dead meadow, pretty enjoyable and a couple of really fine moments
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2014, 08:59 AM   #40
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
saw british sea power in camden last night
was really good - lots of people singing along and dancing - a proper good night
they're good everytime i see them and although last night was no where near the best i've seen them
They were awful when I saw them around ten years ago.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth