Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page You're all cracked
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2006, 11:24 PM   #21
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
dude, jimmy page is a horrible guitar player, you don't have to look further than led zeppelin's live recordings. mistakes and muffled notes galore!!! still, not being a technical proficient guitarist, he was still enormously influential and, for people like me, go over him and his mistakes than other, maybe "better" guitarists. not yo mention his work as a songwriter and engineer, he was more groundbreaking in those areas than his guitar playing.

that one is true, but then, what's a grunge band? is jane's addiction grunge?

ok, big misunderstanding caused by rock journalist and critics trying to make the white stripes more than they are. first of all, garage rock never died, big fucking myth!! in fact, the first time "garage rock" became popular is in the early 2000s, garage rock bands, from their beginnings in the 60's (which i might add, yes, they were a couple of bands who had hit singles but it wasn't like a scene or movement; persception-wise, they are little more than one hit wonders) until it's commercial peak a couple of years ago, have always been around playing that kind of music, all around the world. it hasn't hit commercially but that doesn't mean they didn't exist; so the white stripes didn't have anything to revive.

secondly, the white stripes were influenced and preceeded by such bands who played garage rock in the 90's like the new bomb turks, the oblivians and of course, the jon spencer blues explosion. among billions of others all around the world.

perhaps what people are confusing are facts and influence with recognition (too much recognition for overrated, too little for underrated) and i guess that's what's driving you crazy

i commented in here since you brought it and you were talking about facts. well, here are the facts.

I'll make some badly referenced, half-assed reply, because I'm just too damn lazy to clean up the quotes.

We seem to agree that on some level, Jimmy Page made his contribution to music.

In that assertion, one's personal opinion of Zeppelin doesn't figure in. They either made an impact, or they didn't. It's undeniable that it's the former.

My point about Nirvana and The White Stripes is not how they are classified - while a number of bands may have preceded them in their respective "genres" (again, the term need not even apply here), each of them, in their music being digestable to the masses (not necessarily in a bad way), piqued the interest of the public in those respective "genres" and paved the way for the emergence of bands that may otherwise not have had a fighting chance. Again, it's irrelevant whether one likes their music or not, or whether they're grunge, rock, garage rock, post-punk, whatever. It's their cause-and-effect, a sequence of events, their roles as catalysts.

I don't like Johnny Cash one damn bit, but I know he isn't overrated.

I know I'm articulating myself in a half-assed way, but my point is, in some muddy, poorly communicated way, similar to yours - this isn't about personal, subjective opinion (I know that's redundant, shut up). This isn't about "Dude, the Beatles like, sucked man!" Maybe they DID suck (not that I think they did), but they effected change in the evolution of music. Simple as that, and whether we like it or not.

I think we are on the same page, we're just reading different translations. Or some kind of profound simile.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:27 PM   #22
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
er, not that truncated can't fight her own battles, but...

the white stripes generated more intrest in garage rock than any band in the last 20 years.

what you said about jimmy page proves truncated right

everyone knows what a grunge band is, and what a huge phenomenon grunge was
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:35 PM   #23
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
er...

the white stripes generated more intrest in garage rock than any band in the last 20 years.

what you said about jimmy page proves truncated right

everyone knows what a grunge band is, and what a huge phenomenon grunge was

the white stripes made it cool and comercially viable to play garage rock (and while we're at it, it was the hype the strokes got that started the whole 'look at the white stripes' thing), they did not bring it back, it was brewing from several bands. it's not like they just said "i'm playing garage rock" and then people were like "wow!! that hasn't been done since the 60's"

so is a grunge band mudhoney? or is it candlebox? is nevermind grunge? or is it bleach? here in mexico, most people think of sonic youth as grunge, do you agree?

and i wasn't trying to prove truncated wrong, i was trying to paraphrase some of her comments and try to share why people might have been confused int he overrated/underrated debate

and if you want to fight, go pick it up somewhere else. go to the "overrated" thread or something

truncated: you are right, some bands might sucked but you can't deny influence.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:46 PM   #24
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the white stripes made it cool and comercially viable to play garage rock (and while we're at it, it was the hype the strokes got that started the whole 'look at the white stripes' thing), they did not bring it back, it was brewing from several bands. it's not like they just said "i'm playing garage rock" and then people were like "wow!! that hasn't been done since the 60's"

Well, yeah, it kind of is like that.

Sure, other bands were playing similar stuff, but my point, which you pretty much reiterated, is that they made it cool and commercially viable. A 'resurgence,' if you like, of that style was in part facilitated by the emergence of the White Stripes, regardless of the fact that they weren't without predecessors.

I'm starting to sound like I'm obsessed with the White Stripes. I was really just using them as an example.

And I don't mean to speak for Toilet & Bowls, but it sounds like we're all making a similar point, just with skewed perspectives.

You're bringing up the genre classification issue again, but I repeat, it's not about that. Was Neil Young rock or folk? Doesn't matter, the guy's a kickass musician. Is SY rock, grunge, experimental, etc.? Again, doesn't matter - whatever category they fall under, they were pioneers of their age, and whether you think they rock or suck, they are UNDENIABLY influential figures in the history of music in general.

You claim I am too obsessed with genres, so I'm confused - I'm taking them out of the equation, and you're factoring them in.

My brain hurts (not because of you Everyneurotic) so I'm going to think about cartoons for a while instead.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:54 PM   #25
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yes it is true, we're coming from two different perspectives (for once, i really don't pay attention to the mainstream)

and about the genres...well, what i meant to say with the thread i started is that people sometimes pay more attention to the genre than the actual music and i think that's no way to listen to music. but sometimes you have to use a term of understanding. i also emphasised the "grunge" thing because that's one of the most ambiguos tags to be ever given to music. it's not like i'm defining it and trying to see who belongs and who doesn't, i just try to understand what are people talking about specifically, and not make assumptions.

whenever i'm not thinking about music, i think of cartoons, and it's great, it certainly works for me

wow, two seperate discussions about mainstream stuff in one day...that's a lot for me
Old 09.26.2006, 08:25 PM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2006, 08:26 PM   #27
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
this thread proves nothing to me. the only purpose it serves is to reinforce my hatred of you all.
Old 09.26.2006, 08:27 PM   #28
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Atari is Bumpy McBumperson this evening.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2006, 08:28 PM   #29
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
so that would make you chris frantz.
Old 09.26.2006, 08:52 PM   #30
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah right.Carry on dreaming,infant.
Old 09.26.2006, 08:56 PM   #31
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

looks like they let you out of the ward a little too early.
Old 09.26.2006, 08:56 PM   #32
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
looks like they let you out of the ward a little too early.

read: kiss my ass.
Old 09.26.2006, 09:11 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

at this point, atari will run off from the sight of nurses as they try to shoot tranquilizer darts thru straws.
Old 09.26.2006, 09:17 PM   #34
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Fans of Syd Barrett do that sort of thing regularly.hehe
Old 09.27.2006, 04:25 AM   #35
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yah

wtf is this giving hip priest the right to represent me.

talk about overrated posts

If I did represent you, then it would have been with a full contract, with exhorbitant charges per paragraph. But I don't remember any such contract, and my accountant informs me that I recieved no remuneration from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
...I still think Hip Priest is a peach. He's just a bit loopy is all.

This is quite simply the most charming and lovely thing that's ever been said about me. Thank you, truncated, you know I think you're cool too.

Of course I'm a bit loopy. Indeed I am.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 02:15 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
If I did represent you, then it would have been with a full contract, with exhorbitant charges per paragraph. But I don't remember any such contract, and my accountant informs me that I recieved no remuneration from you.

ha ha, this is from so far back i have no idea what it refers to-- i'm guessing something about the content of the OTHER thread mentioned here (overrated music etc).

anyway, how much do i owe you, and would it be ok if i pay in convenient monthly installments?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 02:41 PM   #37
atari 2600
invito al cielo

That's what YOU think.

including this one ^^^^^
Because I have been posting nothing but messages that porkmarras has previously posted for over the last hour.

Yes, that's right folks, he doesn't even recognize his own posts.

If someone did this with my posts, I would catch it the very first time.

confused?

go here
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...?t=6439&page=3
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 03:14 PM   #38
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Are you hopelessly intoxicated/ingesting hallucinogenics during your aural education?

yes, actually
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2006, 03:17 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I think that people just need to clear this up.

Overrated does not mean overplayed, or that you have heard about them or thir music too much.

It means that their importance and value and hyped beyond their true value.

Nirvana, white stripes, nor Jimmy page are overrated.

while nirvana is loved, I have yet to see anyone over the age of 13 claim that they were the GREATEST BAND. I ahve heard many people say they were their favorite band. They are not overrated. overhyped maybe, but not overrated.

the white stripes I always ahve seen as blues rock, pure and simple. they touch off of old delta blues, chicago blues and the rolling stones more than they do garage rock. again, they are not overrated, at least in my opinion. They are as good as everyone says they are.

Jimmy page is not overrated. I know a lot of guitar dudes,a nd a lot of metal dudes and while they all love led zeppelin, I never hear Jimmy page hyped as a genius like hendrix, or claptopn, or whoever else. Jimmy page is rated just right, again.

as far as overrated bands go, here is a list

Oasis
Stone Roses
the sex pistols
Fantomas
faith no more
elvis

ha ha!
Old 09.27.2006, 03:20 PM   #40
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha man.

i hate faith no more/ fantomas too.

i've heard & read that mike patton is a "genius" but i have no proof or if i do am unable to understand his supposed "genius."

add mr. bungle to the list for me if you wish.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth